Amphilophus tank idea...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have a line on 1” and almost 1” pure Midas fry from gage Brady locally.....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I knew Trimac were out in my community setup. I didn’t think Hoga were that bad until I got this batch, lol. But they have settled in and calmed down a lot. Almost well behaved. I love the thought of a Chanco but basically would want only one. I want some color back in the tank so thats why I got the Petsmart devil.

I really want to at least once own an amphilophus with a nice nuchal hump. The male tanks Ive seen others do usually had some impressive specimens. My old Petsmart ‘midas’ never did develop much of a nuchal hump but the he was also super peaceful and a solo male.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Went by another Petsmart and found 2 more red devils to raise out. Really only looking to keep just one male out of the bunch. Odds were more in my favor by going with three so I went that route. Still looking for a Midas...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I just got back from procuring you pure Midas from Gage Brady in Florida.... they aren’t very large, but some are already fading at 1”. They range from 1/2” to 1” I picked up a couple for myself once I saw how amazing the dad was!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That midas is a beast! Glad you were able to get some of them. I hadn’t heard much about Gage in some years. I know there was a time where there were a lot of fish coming from his old Cichlid Connection business with big group buys. Kind of miss those days.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Had done some reading on forums and Gage had done business at one point with Don Conkel, thinking his midas line may have origins there?

Interestingly Imperial Tropicals had mentioned their line of midas were believed to come from Conkel....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
He still runs the business but I think he sells more to brick and motor shops rather than the random hobbyist, but I could be wrong

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
It would be tough running a business like that. I think my preference would be to provide for businesses rather than individuals.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the Petsmart group
2C313228-3275-4FC5-AE4A-F90779E252B5.jpeg
The two I feel are contenders. I really like the eyes on the one on the right
57ADA0AB-7B19-44E5-876A-14AC076C0183.jpeg
The current dominant one
934F047C-A448-4343-9CF1-28E29E19AB75.jpeg
The smallest
4F1FFDCA-ED0A-41A9-9100-5AA0DD5DD832.jpeg
The largest, who doesn’t know he is larger than the dominant one. I like the color and eyes the best on this one.
A39F28A0-E0CC-4AA5-904C-55ABE921D8BF.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I need to update this a little.
@lloyd378 was able to acquire for me a nice line of midas (Thanks again for that!), but I need to set up another growout because there are quite a few of these guys. So now that Im back from the California family reunion/wedding trip I need to get the tank(s) set up.

I am currently also growing out 3 Petsmart Red Devils in a 20L and the 3 Hoga in the 300 gallon.

So my stock is pretty much all there just need to start narrowing down the field of keepers.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Time for 2 new tanks in a sweet stacked rack!
since I cant find exactly what I want... I will likely just build it out of 2x4's. I liked the thought of a metal rack but the only thing I felt safe with is stuff they would sell out at Rusty Rack, the commercial grade stuff. The metal racks at Lowe's are a joke, with open back beams and pretty flimsy for me to feel safe doing a tank on it. I want to look at the Husky ones Home Depot carries, but I have a feeling that will be a bit too light also.

FishBeast

since I cant find exactly what I want... I will likely just build it out of 2x4's. I liked the thought of a metal rack but the only thing I felt safe with is stuff they would sell out at Rusty Rack, the commercial grade stuff. The metal racks at Lowe's are a joke, with open back beams and pretty flimsy for me to feel safe doing a tank on it. I want to look at the Husky ones Home Depot carries, but I have a feeling that will be a bit too light also.
You're right, the Lowes / HD racks may not be up to spec. With a build, you'll get exactly the size you need!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The Midas are doing well and fading / peeling rather quickly for fish of their size! The ones that had black are now all yellow ( they’ll turn orange / creamsicle with size and age).....

on a side note, Gage is no longer selling his Midas so these will be a score for you.

On a side - side note I stopped into aquarium paradise today to get a baby sailfin Pleco for the Midas tank....

and the most exciting to me, on a side-side-side note, I also picked up two lemon oscars today from them too. They are the same size as the largest Midas so they are in with the clan for the time being... one is a full lemon Oscar and the other is a lemon tiger Oscar .
I’ll get pics tomorrow of the entire tank during feeding time!
I know I don’t really need them, but I’ve never seen lemon oscars forsale anywhere besides online on the east coast

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So looking forward to the midas! Been a while since Ive kept amphs.

@lloyd378, want to see pics of those lemons. I saw them one time at Petco in Lakewood but otherwise online only.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The Midas have fantastic overall profiles already! Can definitely see the characteristic traits of a Midas in them!

I will definitely take a pic of the lemons when I can.... haha, they are only like 1-1.25 inches total length so it might take me some time to get an actual non blurry one