Yard work...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Tomorrow morning is my scheduled pour day! Will soon have a nice big patio to use. Still a lot of ideas for the yard but this was the one holding us back from really completing the back yard. Now once its poured we can finish the landscaping and then just let everything grow in like it had always been that way.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh, concrete pour got bumped a day. So its scheduled for Thursday now

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They are almost done! Came this morning and pumped concrete in and when I stopped by at lunch and they were putting finishing touches on it with the break lines and light broom finish.
-3785240100231386774.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well my brother in law with the yard maintenance company stopped by and looked at our new patio and suggested some sprinkler heads needed to be added/ moved. I had just kind of thought I was done…lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My garden crew are rabbits, I saw one eating a weed growing up in the driveway this morning.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Spent some time on the beach today getting ready for this year's shipment of oyster seed from Taylor Shellfish. Collected a few oysters and clams and made them into a Rhode Island beach dinner (not to be confused with a Rhode Island shore dinner, which is a completely different thing). :)

IMG_5600.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Spent some time on the beach today getting ready for this year's shipment of oyster seed from Taylor Shellfish. Collected a few oysters and clams and made them into a Rhode Island beach dinner (not to be confused with a Rhode Island shore dinner, which is a completely different thing). :)

Do you plant clams along your beach too, or are they naturally right there?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Do you plant clams along your beach too, or are they naturally right there?
Taylor Shellfish sells seeds for clams, mussels, and geoducks in addition to various oysters, but the beaches around Liberty Bay are absolutely loaded with Manila clams; no cultivation necessary. The Manilas are only 4-5" beneath the surface, so very easy to dig. On average, it takes 5-10 minutes to dig two dozen good-sized clams, maybe a 2' x 2' area, which is enough for 'chowdah and clamcakes' for two (it's a Rhode Island thing).

When I bought this property I knew it came with tideland ownership, but I did not know that I would have an abundance of fresh shellfish right on my doorstep. I grew up in coastal New England, where shellfish are a really big thing, so I enjoy having such ready access. And I must say, the oysters from Liberty Bay are really, really good. :) The one thing I do miss are East Coast 'steamers,' which are soft-shell clams that are rare on the West Coast.

Local Manila clams fresh off the beach-

IMG_1008.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been planning my little rock garden by the new sidewalk in the backyard. This is a strip about 3ft x 5ft that has a downspout splash block and zero appeal. Bought a concrete fish a while back for this spot. Mounted it on a rock today. Got to use the hammer drill and put in a length of stainless steel rod with epoxy…

EDDB2EB9-8C83-48E4-8FA9-85AC7E2B6A0D.jpeg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Taylor Shellfish sells seeds for clams, mussels, and geoducks in addition to various oysters, but the beaches around Liberty Bay are absolutely loaded with Manila clams; no cultivation necessary. The Manilas are only 4-5" beneath the surface, so very easy to dig. On average, it takes 5-10 minutes to dig two dozen good-sized clams, maybe a 2' x 2' area, which is enough for 'chowdah and clamcakes' for two (it's a Rhode Island thing).

When I bought this property I knew it came with tideland ownership, but I did not know that I would have an abundance of fresh shellfish right on my doorstep. I grew up in coastal New England, where shellfish are a really big thing, so I enjoy having such ready access. And I must say, the oysters from Liberty Bay are really, really good. :) The one thing I do miss are East Coast 'steamers,' which are soft-shell clams that are rare on the West Coast.

Local Manila clams fresh off the beach-

My wife makes the best clam linguine, but the property my dad has on the beach does not yield enough clams sometimes even none.

I’m super happy you have this available to you.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Been planning my little rock garden by the new sidewalk in the backyard. This is a strip about 3ft x 5ft that has a downspout splash block and zero appeal. Bought a concrete fish a while back for this spot. Mounted it on a rock today. Got to use the hammer drill and put in a length of stainless steel rod with epoxy…

View attachment 11654
Will this be in a water feature anytime soon?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Will this be in a water feature anytime soon?
Very small area to work with...
IMG_20220625_181130212_HDR.jpg
It would need to be either a tall, narrow feature or something small and solar powered. I will most likely just add the fish and pick up some succulents that require zero care and put those in there. Or it might just end up 100% rocks around the concrete statue. Just keeping it super simple.

Betty

Staff member
DMD, that fish statue looks like one of those decorative fish downspout extensions -- would be cute at the end of your downspout. :)

Patio looks like it turned out nice.

Sir Keith, meals look delicious. :thumbsup