Why do people keep plecos?

ArtPleco

Please look at the thread I posted. It is all I keep, but they have great personalities! Look awesome, they are very hearty and to me easy to keep. My cactus loves to eat actual shrimp. Commons are cool to look at when young. But the exotic ones are where it is at; mainly because they look even cooler and they don't have to be in a tank as a "need" you get one like a scarlet l27, or a cactus l114 as a main display fish, rather than for cleaning the wood and glass.

Madness

Staff member
I've never really kept Plecos and that's only because I don't have enough algae to support them. I refuse to put algae wafers in my tank heh. My snails and platys keep the algae at bay.

Well maybe you may want to research Plecos a bit more. There are currently over 1000 species of Loricariidae, and less than 5% of the of them eat algae, with 75% of them being carnivorous.

I guess you dont have any more excuses for not owning them ;)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Please look at the thread I posted. It is all I keep, but they have great personalities! Look awesome, they are very hearty and to me easy to keep. My cactus loves to eat actual shrimp. Commons are cool to look at when young. But the exotic ones are where it is at; mainly because they look even cooler and they don't have to be in a tank as a "need" you get one like a scarlet l27, or a cactus l114 as a main display fish, rather than for cleaning the wood and glass.

Do you have a picture of the Scarlet L27? You had me at "scarlet". I love anything that's the color red.

ArtPleco

maxresdefault.jpg

L190

Yep plecos are cool. I have a 260 gallon tank with many different kinds. Still looking for a few more

julzhull

I don't think common plecos get enough love so I thought I'd share a pic of ours. I'd say he's around 8 years old now, got him from Petsmart long ago when we were getting into the hobby and there wasn't much around for LFS and I don't remember hearing much about fancy ones. Would we get a common now? Maybe not because there are other large ones we'd like to try, but we love him.

image.jpeg

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I don't think common plecos get enough love so I thought I'd share a pic of ours. I'd say he's around 8 years old now, got him from Petsmart long ago when we were getting into the hobby and there wasn't much around for LFS and I don't remember hearing much about fancy ones. Would we get a common now? Maybe not because there are other large ones we'd like to try, but we love him.

View attachment 3228

He looks pretty special to me!