Why do people keep plecos?

Jeffro

Years ago, I thought plecos were a good way to help clean the tank. Some of them do help clean the glass, but they produce a lot of waste...

So why do people keep plecos? Is it because they just look cool?

One benefit seems to be that they will help keep your driftwood clean, but are there other reasons? Is it a myth that some of them actually eat algae?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I had a rhino pleco that I thought was a big poop machine. Well after rehoming I started getting a ton of algae on all my mopani wood. Turned out he was keeping it clean. So the choice was dirty driftwood or lots of pleco poop.

Madness

Staff member
Years ago, I thought plecos were a good way to help clean the tank. Some of them do help clean the glass, but they produce a lot of waste...

So why do people keep plecos? Is it because they just look cool?

One benefit seems to be that they will help keep your driftwood clean, but are there other reasons? Is it a myth that some of them actually eat algae?
Let me ask you this, why do you keep the fish that you keep? Do you keep them because they clean the algae, or is it because they they clean the wood, or because they offer a benefit, etc??? I ask because Plecos (Loricariidae) are fish just like an Angel, a catfish, a neon. We keep them because they are a cool fish and they add something to an aquarium.

There are thousands of species in the Loricariidae out there and only a handful will eat algae. Some algae eaters stop eating algae at a certain age/size, some are omnivorous and some are carnivorous. Some feed on soft wood and some eat it to only aid in digestion. Some Plecos, live as long as 35+ years.

There are white ones, yellow ones, green ones and blue ones, some are striped like a zebra others spotted like a leopard. Some are multi-colored, some max out at 2.5" while some max out at 40".

I personally own around 30 different Loricariidae species and I own them because the are different and they add a unique look to my fish room. When people visit my fish room the first thing they comment on are my active, large cichlids, then the see all of my Bichirs, soon they come across my Loach tank, but the tank that most of them stop and watch the most is my Pleco tank with all the different shapes and sizes and colors.

Jeffro

Well, most fish I keep because they look or behave interesting to me. I never really found the common pleco all that interesting, they grew too large for me, and produce a lot of waste.

I kept those ones because they would help keep the glass clean.

Today I picked up a couple bristlenose and I have to say...they do look pretty cool. The male looks gnarly with his tentacles, especially when he wiggles his head.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Honestly, I think a tank isn't complete without a Pleco in residence. I really do think that.

He or she is like the juicy cherry on the top of the yummy fish cake!

I keep bristlenose plecos because they are adorable. In my tanks they do a pretty good job at keeping the algae off the plants and glass.

Livebearer Lady

Because they'lljust SOO COOL!!
I just inherited (8) LDA-08 babies!
Boy they are SOO cute and a great bristlenosed pleco to have in one's tank!

lymitliss

I like that they utilize hiding places like caves, when many other fish do not. They're also bottom dwellers, so they can help even out a tank of fish that may hang out closer to the top. They don't require live food, and they can be colorful. They're also pretty docile, so you can put them in many types of tanks. It's kind of fun having some that hide, then make a surprise appearance weeks later.

Livebearer Lady

I like that they utilize hiding places like caves, when many other fish do not. They're also bottom dwellers, so they can help even out a tank of fish that may hang out closer to the top. They don't require live food, and they can be colorful. They're also pretty docile, so you can put them in many types of tanks. It's kind of fun having some that hide, then make a surprise appearance weeks later.
So which L# is the one in the lower right pic??? Very nice indeed...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
All this pleco talk... where are the pics people? lol

This was my rhino I rehomed at 11 1/2"

I know... why did I rehome this blue eyed beauty?
poop, poop and more poop, that's why! lol

skarz

I've never really kept Plecos and that's only because I don't have enough algae to support them. I refuse to put algae wafers in my tank heh. My snails and platys keep the algae at bay.