Who's keeping Tangs?

Bob

Roll call for all you Tangers!

Here is my list:
Julidochromis marlieri
Altolamprologus calvus yellow
Neolamprologus leleupi orange (wish i could find the black variety)

Neolamprologus tretocephalus
Lamprologus ocellatus Gold
Lamprologus multifasciatus
Paracyprichromis nigripinnis "Blue Neon"

Cyprichromis leptosoma "Utinta"
Cyprichromis leptosoma "Blackfin" (Arriving Tuesday =)

Eretmodus cyanostictus Burundi (Arriving Tuesday =)

Lets see yours!

dirk

I live on the other side of the state from you. I have a guy nearby that'll sell me some for a good deal. He had just sold out last time I was in his neck of the woods. Wish there were more Cichlid people close to me but I kind of live in the Timbuktu of Washington so I. Thanks though. :)

Betty

Staff member
Julidochromis marlieri "Gombe"
084%201024x678_zpsj7vmte0e.jpg

Neolamprologus leleupi
3-25%202%201280x657_zpscosy9i8g.jpg

Eretmodus cyanostictus " Zambian blue spot"
065_zpsmpjhti2z.jpg

Altolamprologus calvus "white chaitika"
009_zpsa73f5aba.jpg

Tropheus moori Bulu Point "cherry spot"
2e891e8c.jpg

And sadly this morning I found my last Neolamprologus brevis "Katabe" had passed away after having him at least 10 years. :(
049_zpsb9mphska.jpg

dirk

Hi Betty just curious if you are breeding Eretmodus cyanostictus " Zambian blue spot" they are awesome little fish with personality I'm interested in getting some eventually. Unfortunately my wish list is rather long at the moment.

Betty

Staff member
Unfortunately, no. I really wanted to try because of the interesting spawning behavior, but they were really aggressive and this one in the pic killed the others off. This was in a 75 gallon tank! He's fine with the tropheus, but conspecific aggression was terrible. I got them in a fishbox group buy several years ago.

dirk

That's unfortunate betty. Yeah I read that they usually do best in pairs didn't know the conspecific agression was that bad though. Like little bottom dwelling demasoni of tangkanyika.

dirk

I read that people have tried to keep them together but the Leleupi will try to suck fry out of shells sometimes even killing adult multifaciatus though. Have you had success keeping them together Vicmacki?

Bob

I have kept multies in the same tank with leleupi and julis, the multis were always the more aggressive. I now keep my Multis with my paracyps with no issues. Currently i keep my leleupi with gold ocellatus shellies.

dirk

I've heard that gold ocellatus are very aggressive. I think my brevis are pretty aggressive for little guys they like to nip me when i'm cleaning there tank. Makes me jump, then laugh. Thanks for the sharing the knowledge Vicmacki. The guy i buy from likes to keep alot of his Tanganyikans is species tanks, with some some sort of bottom fish and thats it. I was thinking about getting some golden julies and the multis think they'd live happily together in a 40 breeder?

Bob

I think i got lucky with my Golds, i have zero aggression with them. I have them in a 75g with julis, calvus, cyps and they all get along great. Of course that could all change if they start breeding. I would imagine they would do ok as long a as there are plenty of rocks/shells. This was my 40 breeder before i added the multis. I took the front row of rocks and stacked them on the top in the back. Which made my rock pile go all the way to top. That left a good4-5 inches of depth in the front which was shells all the way across. The julis never bred but the multies did with no issues.

Bob

The guy i buy from likes to keep alot of his Tanganyikans is species tanks, with some some sort of bottom fish and thats it.

I have done this before as well. But for me, i enjoy the community aspect. I find that you get more natural behaviors and definitely more entertainment out of community aquariums. As long as everyone gets their territory, everyone is happy.

dirk

Finally got some julidochromis ornatus today, still out of little Lamprologus multifasciatus as some lady just bought him out on friday with a huge order.

hose91

I like the community aspect as well. This is my 40B currently stocked with 6 Julie Transcriptus, 2 Calvus, and 6 Multies. They're all pretty young, around an inch or inch and a quarter. Really enjoying them. Could maybe use some dithers. I have some dwarf neon rainbows in another tank that I was going to use for that, but am thinking that maybe I could do some paracyps or maybe some smaller cyps although I've not really looked for them yet.
Would be nice to put another fish in the upper levels, though I think eventually this stock will fill up the tank.
20160310_181245.jpg 20160310_181232.jpg 20160310_181240.jpg

hose91

Thank you! It's definitely one of my favorites. The universal rocks "Rocky" flex background turned out really well, and the rest was sort of lucky with the way the plants fell out. I won a couple of big lots at the GSAS auction and the extras turned out to be just what I needed for this tank!

I'm looking forward to some multi fry and getting some size on the Julies. I am a sucker for the community tank thing, and now I'm fixated on either cyps or paracyps for the top dwellers.