Where to find Christmas Fulu?

A

Anonymous

My boyfriend has a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank going and really wants one of these Christmas Fulu's (Xystichochromis phytophagus) We haven't seen any stores in our county. Does anyone happen to know of somewhere in this area that has them available? I would LOVE to get him one for his tank. He loves the colors in them. I just discovered this site on Craigslist. It's great for fish enthusiasts.

A

Anonymous

Picture

I forgot to post a picture. Here it is.

art_X_phytophagus01.jpg

sandnuka

I have never seen them in stores in washington.... have seen them at the wetspot in portland, (cichlid exchange retail store)....

I myself have recently acquired a breeding group.... I just stripped like 4 eggs, and 6 tiny fry.... so it will be awhile until I can put some up for sale... I know another user on here has a pretty big stock and his are breeding too.... Icer711

sandnuka

Here is my alpha male.... couldnt get him to come out... and he is not really colored up nice cause there is a big sunshine peacock in his tank that kinda became the alpha of the whole tank. :( ... think Im gonna sell the peacock so the fulu's color up more... anyway, he is a daddy, I have a bunch of his babies and they will be for sale in a few months if you sit tight ;)

christ14.jpg

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I live in Grays Harbor, near Ocean Shores, Aberdeen, Hoquiam area.

Sandnuka, you are about 2 and a half hours away :( I can tell by the coloring that this is definitely a Christmas Fulu. Where did you acquire yours at?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
He is currently fighting chemical imbalance and is treating his tank so currently getting fish has been put on hold until he can get them under control.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Thank you this is very good to know. I will check out this site. We have a local fish store and they say they can't get these fish in. I'm not sure why though. :\ They are gorgeous fish!

icer711

give me some time i have one that just spit some but some are spoken for and it looks like i have one newly holding and i see lots of dancing tonight :D... oh and a whole lot closer than sand
and there had to find cause theirs not many people that have them and they are easily mixed up with the........................... crap find it right now but i wanna say its a scraper, the colors are very similar

larry.beck

Big Jim sells xmas fulu fry as well, if you're looking to mail order. I'd leave it to icer or sand to comment on the quality though, since I know nothing of the Victorians.

Fern

They are hard to find because they are a Victorian cichlid and most all vics are on the red list.
I would not put one in an African tank, they do best in a species tank with 1-2 males and 5-10 females.
They are commonly confused with the salmons.
Here is my dom male
DSCN2757.jpg

My group is already spoken for though, I'm making room for more rare vics.

sandnuka

I got Two females holding now..... I was waiting to get another tank up to strip the eggs, so not sure how many I will have..... probably have them up for sale in about 1 1/2 months. :)

was thinkin about 7 bucks each. sounds fair?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Marysville is about 3 hours away from where I am at unfortunately. However Belfair is only about an hour and a half. Icer I would appreciate it if you could stay in touch with me. I sent you a private message as well. Thank you everyone for your help! I GREATLY appreciate it!

me

Fern said:
$7 is good for 1-1.5"
Wow Fern's on here !! Hey Fern !! $7 is definitely very fair. Icer and Sandnuka's came from some of my first spawns from my original trio of one male and two girls and are very nice. In fact so nice sometimes I regret letting them go ;) Not trying to step on anyone's toes but I do have some fry available at about an inch. They grow very fast. They are safe to ship at half an inch. Within the state priority mail is almost always safe and very cheap (under $10) I am in Chehalis FYI. I can't match that great price though as they are limited and I was selling them for $20 each over the summer successfully. I can do $12 each though as I know times is hard........ yo. These originally came from an ebay seller, whom was later confirmed to be a seller and have a good strain by other vic enthusiasts. Great to see you're getting spawns Sand Man and icer! ;)

Oh and just to give him his propers, Big Jim also has top notch Christmas fulu. He is in Northern Cali, but is a pro at shipping. He was one of the main people who brought in some very rare Victorians this year, and I was very proud/lucky to be a part of it with four new species of my own.

sandnuka

Ok.... i lost all my wigglers (barely could see egg sac) to gettin sucked out the egg tumbler agains!!!! I know I have to invest in a better tumbler.... but, icer711 is closer to ya anyway, and he has a bunch of fry coming! :)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Actually I have gotten in touch with "me" and they are closer yet. They are only about a little over an hour away and they have a good size juvies for the other size of fish in the tank. Thank you everyone. If I know of ANYONE looking for more of these fish I will contact any of you or give them the information for this site and direct them to this thread. I am so greatful for all your help! It is amazing that there are still kind people out there. And ALOT of them on here :) You guys are all great! Thank you again, I shall hopefully soon be giving my boyfriend his new "presents" and he will love them! :) New "Kids" for him.