What's the largest fish you own?

Madness

Staff member
In his basement.  here is the Dovii and the Umbee in his 1000.  He had an Umbee pair where the male was 20" and the female 18".  

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/I8VSrZIKbxE[/flash]
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/4hWZcEkNqls" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Check out his ginormous Chancho thats in that tank

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I need to get some measurements of Pork Chop. My pearsei must be getting close to 12".

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I'd guess pork chop is an easy 12" by now! And she has beautiful coloring for a female. (Post a pic already) ;-)

A

Anonymous

madness said:
fishNAbowl said:
:shock: - wOAH! How big of tank must 1 have to comfortly house this fish for a life span? How long is its life span?!
The tank that they are in is 225 gal, soon moving to their final home a 300 gal.  A friend of mine has the largest Dovii that I know of at 27".  He keeps his in a 600 gal., he has 2 x 600 gal tanks and a 1000 gal tank.  I wish that I had a 600 gal tank.  I believe Mel said that his original male Dovii lived for 15 years, this current one is I believe 10 years old.  Ike at Aquarium Paradise I think is pushing 15 years, but he is barely 20" if that.  
Magnificent specimens. The videos puts things into perspective with knowing the size of the tanks and just how big these fish are. Houses are built these days with bedrooms smaller than these tanks, lol!

Thanks for sharing!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
I'd guess pork chop is an easy 12" by now! And she has beautiful coloring for a female. (Post spice already) ;-)
Im not sure 'she' is a she. When I had the other male Pearsei and introduced him to 'her', Pork Chop tore into the poor guy. I was basing my sexing on a dropped tube when younger. Now that Pork Chop is bigger the tube is dropped on occasion and looks male. I should catch and vent one of these days. If Pork Chop is a girl she is maxed out in size, if its a boy will probably gain a couple inches still.

pbmax

lloyd378 said:
pbmax said:
I'm awful at fish photos... even with my DSLR.
what? I can't believe that as your profile pic is absolutely beautiful..... a reason i started that lil 40g shrump tank
Thanks! :D I'm pretty proud of that photo. I do okay with shrimp photos - they don't move so quick. ;) It's the fish that throw me. I'll see what I can do to grab a photo of my GIANT female brilliant rasbora.  Madness' umbee will PHEAR. :shock:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
pbmax said:
I do okay with shrimp photos - they don't move so quick. ;) It's the fish that throw me.
Trying to take pics of the fish in the 210g is a nightmare. They dont like it. Now my bichirs are another story, they totally sit still for photos.

anthony

This is my ornate bichir  at 14". Her names Girtha
SAM_0037_zpsbf9d724f.jpg
" />

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im glad others name their fish. Very nine shot of Girtha! :spoton: 

KaraWolf

biggest fish is my RTS Mojo Jo Jo going on 4 years old, only fish I have never had health problems with and is somewhere between 5 and 6 inches (she wiggles too much to be propperly measured usually) last time I got an accurate measure was.....moving here at 5.xx inches. And still giving only a little bit of an attitude towards her much smaller tank mates :p pretty funny to watch her hide when you call her out on a bullying rampage and she scurries to her cave. Still wish I had a whole tank of them :p though the curiosity of whether they can be caught actually eating would have me staring all day LOL

LuminousAphid

My largest fish: Rubber lip pleco, and he's just a baby! edit: actually I think my clown pleco is bigger, but I always forget I even have him, he always hides during the day

I did have a Chinese Algae Eater that was a little bigger, but I didn't have anywhere to put him or take him, so I had to euthanize him :(:( 

Damn you PetSmart! Damn me for not knowing better! Hopefully it's the only fish I will have to purposely kill (aside from mercy kills for health problems, but hopefully not that either)

Beast Mode. This gives a better idea on size.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/Lzl--Sl49Vc" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
nice addicted! but he is way bigger than these pictures let on. you need one where he is coming right at you to show his girth!!!

lloyd378 said:
nice addicted!  but he is way bigger than these pictures let on. you need one where he is coming right at you to show his girth!!!
Good call, I'll try for one tonight. He was being a punk while eating so he stayed near the back. The link to Mel's that Madness posted is my inspiration :shock: 

Betty

Staff member
I keep Africans, so no monsters.  I had a D. compressiceps and N. polystigma that outgrew my tank and I had to rehome.  Also used to have two male P. crabro (bumblebees) that got pretty big. I have pics of them somewhere.

Right now, this is the largest.  Synodontis notatus. I'm guessing 7 or 8 inches, maybe more -- I'm terrible at estimating size and he likes to stay under the rocks.  I had to lure him out with some NLS to take his picture. :) 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool catfish, if I owned him I would name him Spot :D