What's the largest fish you own?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I like to start a thread showing off our largest fish... Everyone can join in.  It doesn't matter the species(dovii to guppy...if it's your largest) or if its a bottom feeder, or.... Let's make this a good old fashion version of show and tell......ill start with one of mine.  My tiger oscar is the largest at close to 13" and about 2-3" wide.... my male umbee is quickly catching him in size.
018_zpsa1ad202e.jpg

016_zps15779bbf.jpg

017_zpsa1323280.jpg

here is my 2nd place
014_zps6eda58f4.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, addicted, now you can join a topic again! And let's get the rest of you going....

A

Anonymous

Damn, those are big. The biggest I had were 2 bumblebees that were 2 males. So I traded them but now regret it. I want a "cheap" pair again. Some deal will come up here or CL. Very nice fish though, lloyd378. No I remember now it was a 10inch Oscar that I got when it was small. Didnt know how big those Fu**ers get. Had buy goldfish feeders every week. I was only in middle school. So I gave it back to the LFS in south Seattle at the time near Franklin high school. Damn that was a long time ago.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
thanks. i'd still like to see your biggest fish, even if its only 2-4 inches..... show off some african size

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
pbmax said:
I believe one of my brilliant rasboras is nearly 3" long... :silent: 
you must have him on HGH....... let's see him in all of his glory.... seriously, i think the largest one I have seen is around 1.5 inches (at the petstore) warm up that camera phone.

A

Anonymous

It was like yours but smaller cause I didn't feed it properly at the time.  Middle schooler didn't have no clue and $ to feed the beast. The tank was small I think it was 20 gal. LFS guy said it was ok. That was my birthday money. Lol.

pbmax

lloyd378 said:
pbmax said:
you must have him on HGH.......  let's see him in all of his glory.... seriously, i think the largest one I have seen is around 1.5 inches (at the petstore) warm up that camera phone.
Goodness, 3 of mine were bigger than that when I bought them from Petco. I got most of them from Aquarium Paradise...

I'm awful at fish photos... even with my DSLR.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
pbmax said:
lloyd378 said:
pbmax said:
you must have him on HGH.......  let's see him in all of his glory.... seriously, i think the largest one I have seen is around 1.5 inches (at the petstore) warm up that camera phone.
Goodness, 3 of mine were bigger than that when I bought them from Petco.  I got most of them from Aquarium Paradise...

I'm awful at fish photos... even with my DSLR.
what? I can't believe that as your profile pic is absolutely beautiful..... a reason i started that lil 40g shrump tank

Madness

Staff member
Well most know what mine is.  My Dovii at 21"

p1110610.jpg
" />
p1110611.jpg
" />
p1110612.jpg
" />

Next in line would be his female at 14" then my 13" Argentea, 13" Hartwegi, 13" Bifasciatus, 13" Red Devil, 13" Delhezi Poly., and 12" Hoga. The Hoga is by far bigger than the others in girth, other than the Dovii.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
big blue is epic.... 21 inches in crazy for a home aquarium.

that livingstonii is crazy big too. i had the other giraffe looking african(can't remember the species) about a year ago and it got to be about 4 inches before i sold it.....that yellow mbuna looking one also looks to have some girth to it.
thanks for sharing guys.
let's keep it going!

A

Anonymous

madness said:
Well most know what mine is.  My Dovii at 21"

p1110610.jpg
" />
p1110611.jpg
" />
p1110612.jpg
" />

Next in line would be his female at 14" then my 13" Argentea, 13" Hartwegi, 13" Bifasciatus, 13" Red Devil, 13" Delhezi Poly., and 12" Hoga.  The Hoga is by far bigger than the others in girth,  other than the Dovii.
:shock: - wOAH! How big of tank must 1 have to comfortly house this fish for a life span? How long is its life span?!

A

Anonymous

My Nimbochromis livingstonii is the king in african cichlid tank. But not compared madness 21 in dovii. Holy s*it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
i just remembered that my was a "venustus" i think i remember that yours was the bigger of the two species. am i correct?  i post a pic of my old big frontosa in aminute.... EDIT Actually it will be tomorrow, the battery died on my computer so using my phone .... But you can see my big boy still at aquarium paradise on their back row.....I traded him to a craigslister who turned around to trade him in there for store cred

A

Anonymous

I got 1 Nimbochromis Venustus in there too. She (I hope) gets pick on by the male Nimbochromis livingstonii but to mate I guess. She not interested. Lol poor Nimbochromis livingstonii got no game. Lol.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe the livinstonii is just a purest and doesn't mate with other species???? Or maybe they are both males. Either way they are cool looking and yours is a nice looking large one

Madness

Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
:shock: - wOAH! How big of tank must 1 have to comfortly house this fish for a life span? How long is its life span?!
The tank that they are in is 225 gal, soon moving to their final home a 300 gal.  A friend of mine has the largest Dovii that I know of at 27".  He keeps his in a 600 gal., he has 2 x 600 gal tanks and a 1000 gal tank.  I wish that I had a 600 gal tank. I believe Mel said that his original male Dovii lived for 15 years, this current one is I believe 10 years old. Ike at Aquarium Paradise I think is pushing 15 years, but he is barely 20" if that.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
When I win the lottery, tomorrow, I will buy myself a 1,000 gallon tank and then I will own yours as 450 for the pair will be nothing to me then!!!!!

And I think that Ike is more like 16-17 years old as I remember it at his old shop when I was in high school ... And I graduated about 16 years ago

A

Anonymous

madness said:
A friend of mine has the largest Dovii that I know of at 27".  He keeps his in a 600 gal., he has 2 x 600 gal tanks and a 1000 gal tank.  I wish that I had a 600 gal tank.  
Though you were an addicted.  Your friend is. Wow  2x600gal and 1x 1000gal.
Where the hell do you put a 1000gal and 2 600gal tanks?