What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Garage tank water changes this morning. Very happy with growth on my silver dollars and my EBJD. Red sevs still seem a bit colorless but are healthy and growing.

FishBeast

I know it will be a year before we get any answers but... how have you been?

You were scaling back and selling off fish last time we had heard from you, what are you keeping if anything?
Still have most of everything including the wolf, datnoid and bichirs LOL
Every time I prep them for sale I get back into it... vicious cycle
I am super busy with work and kids (one is in college now)

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Your Shellie fry have made their way through much of Western Washington and now Canada, lol.

"reassess stock residences." sounds like a good thing in the works...
Translation: reducing number of running aquariums. I have four kids who are turning into adults and I need to reduce fish room time.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Translation: reducing number of running aquariums. I have four kids who are turning into adults and I need to reduce fish room time.
Totally understand. I was out of the hobby for over 20+ years while raising my son. Once he moved out of the house I got back into it and have enjoyed it ever since.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Ah! I see you are careful to say that you're reducing the number of 'running' aquariums, not the total number of aquariums. That way they'll be at the ready when you change your mind? :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_20231006_165819912.jpg
The little EBJD is growing well and showing no noticeable deformities at this time. Hopefully I can keep it alive... long term. They are notorious for being sensitive fish but mine doesn't get any special treatment and seems to be thriving.

John58Ford

I don't have a proper quarantine (qt) anymore since going from 9 to 3. I usually quarantine fish from shops or importers for 3-6 weeks depending on age and general health.

I was able to source these near $2 each after shipping if I went with 50+. Not from a local shop but a seller in California lol. Our local guys wouldn't get below $4 each for special orders, they go for 7-9 each in the tanks at the shops I went to. I could do 30 of these at a time (if I paid significantly more) in the 29 for a proper 3+ week quarantine, or... I could use the 29 like Noah's ark and move my stocking 2x2 into it for 3 or 4 weeks. Works only because every thing in my tanks except the tetras have been successful breeders. If things go bad in the big tank I can nuke it and start over with the fish from the ark.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
That school of rummy-nose tetras in your big tank looks awesome! This is how tetras should be kept; I alway feel bad for these fishes when they are kept as pairs.

John58Ford

That school of rummy-nose tetras in your big tank looks awesome! This is how tetras should be kept; I alway feel bad for these fishes when they are kept as pairs.
I agree, this is my 4th tetra school, 2nd rummynose school. I've always started with 15-18, but as they dwindle I end up with odd groups.
My first school or Cardinals was purchased as adult fish in 2018 and that was a mistake as I had several die off in the first year seemingly of old age. Had about a dozen for several years, then I got the silver tips as adults in a group of 15 from a member of another forum. She originally had 30 and they had started to die off.

My first juvenile school of rummynose brought a nasty nasty case of Epistylis, prompting the build of my super uv sterilizer that cooked through itself in about 3 years use.

After setting up the 125 I had an odd group of a few silvertip, half a dozen rummynose, and a super senior citizen cardinal that's been hanging with the rummynose on his own for about a year. I'm pretty excited to have seen all these species and make a good decision on bringing these back up to numbers I couldn't keep before. So far they all seem really healthy, if the school matures nicely I might bring another school of 20+ Harlequin Rasbora in, they're the only cyp I've ever kept but watching them breed was definitely one of the coolest swimming displays I've seen, again though, I purchased those as adults and only got ~2 years out of them, at the time I wasn't good enough at pH regulation to keep the eggs healthy.

BPSabelhaus

Picked up a lot of used equipment on Sunday. Going through and testing all the electrical stuff. Air pumps, lights are all good. One air pump was a bit weak, but that happens when the little filter is black lol So 5 lights and 3 air pumps are good so far. Next up is 11 heaters. I'll at least verify they turn on, then bucket test in the garage over the next week to make sure they don't overheat.

Attachments

• PXL_20231010_180109557.jpg
    PXL_20231010_180109557.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20231010_180024201.jpg
    PXL_20231010_180024201.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20231008_213803507.jpg
    PXL_20231008_213803507.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20231010_180036469.jpg
    PXL_20231010_180036469.jpg