What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
For fun , looking at old stuff here on the box and found my introduction post. I joined Fishbox back in June 11, 2010. At that time I had been back into the hobby for about 10 months after a good 20+ year absence. Had just upgraded from a single 65B to a single120g. That didnt last long before my upgrade was a solo 210g tank. Then soon after the multiple tanks started to happen. Didn't even think I would be where Im at today with tanks, lol.

John58Ford

A 6 watt unit like this would probably be able to sterilize a 10 gallon pretty well. I ran 18 watts on my 29 to control Epistylis. Obviously as we learned from my experience, an 18 watts bulb can be pretty hard on the canister lol. I don't know about the "clarify a 400" claim.

@DMD123, what's the wattage on your unit?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@sir_keith, yeah I got the email from Fluval about it. Seems pretty low watt for being
made for the FX line of filters. But they do say ‘clarifier’ not ‘sterilizer’

@John58Ford, I use a Corallife 36 watt that I custom plumbed into my FX6
IMG_1696.jpeg
I did union valves to be able to pull it out and still run the filter and I cut the hard wired plug from transformer and light and put in a quick connect plug. I love that I can change the bulb without taking filter apart and getting wet. It has a separate sealed chamber from the cover where the wired socket is.

I tend to get just enough light that comes in from my window and door that I will get ‘green water’ on the tank if I dont use the UV. Knock on wood, but fish seem to have been healthier in this tank too.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I do wish Fluval would make an external heating unit that was an in-line system for the FX series of filters. Way back in the day on my old 210g set up I had used 2 hydor 300 watt in-line heaters I custom plumbed and it worked well but not good longevity from them. I had also had a UV back then but lacked the ability to remove it easily for service or repair, thats why current set up is removable.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Early morning tank cleanings and water changes on garage tanks. Just have the 46g bowfront left but am waiting till later when @fishguy1978 stops by for his plants. I will rescape the tank with some Fluval plastic plants I already have. They look pretty good for fakes.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I was in eastern Washington Wednesday through Friday morning on a last minute trip. Stopped in at Big River pets in Tri-cities. I’m amazed at their selection for where they are located.
Today I’m picking up some plants from @DMD123.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @fishguy1978 for stopping by and getting all the plants. While I had it draining, decided to gravel vac and cleaned it up a little. Lots of pleco poo and pieces of plant matter. Now it is partially clean, will see if I can get back to it again tomorrow to finish up.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I received an e-mail from RareFishUSA today about an incoming shipment of Tanganyikans. Half of the new arrivals were either albinos or line-bred strains. How disappointing; I thought Tanganyikans were going to be largely immune to this sort of thing. I mean, how do you 'improve' upon this-

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 3.35.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 3.33.50 PM.png

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Rebuilt an FX6 filter tonight after work. The Fluval kit worked perfectly. Installed new sponges and everything seems to be running smoothly with no leaks so far, lol

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Rebuilt an FX6 filter tonight after work. The Fluval kit worked perfectly. Installed new sponges and everything seems to be running smoothly with no leaks so far, lol
Where did you get those rebuild kits; that's a really good price.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hello my friends, just checking in! I am still alive. LOL
Hope you guys are doing well...
I know it will be a year before we get any answers but... how have you been?

You were scaling back and selling off fish last time we had heard from you, what are you keeping if anything?