What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Got into the 300 tonight for about 2 hrs cleaning the huge Mopani wood, getting algae off the fake rocks and plants, cleaning inside glass, good gravel vac, scrubbed algae off intake tubes and heater guard. And that was pretty much just doing HALF the tank, lol. I’m trying to get rest done Friday or Saturday. Was just getting fed up with it looking messy. Now that I have my Pearsei in there I will be spending more time with this tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Worked on the garage tanks today on my day off. Gravel vac, water change, cleaned the glass. Also added a ‘cover’ on my rack that was to act as a room divider.
1059D5D7-9EB9-44CD-936E-157401D78812.jpeg
F5872222-F871-4E96-B03F-E9AC6BED4138.jpeg

Betty

Staff member
Looks great!

I fed my fish today. :)

I'm not too motivated to do anything with my tanks. I do an occasional water change and filter maintenance, but don't have the numbers of fish I used to have so I don't do weekly huge water changes like I used to. Maybe I need to change things up -- get something new. I haven't bought any new fish in many years. The ones I have are really really old and slowly dying off. It's sad to see them go. This summer I buried one that I've had for 17 - 18 years.

John58Ford

After 3 years of service my home brew uv sterilizer housing finally bit the dust. PXL_20230128_193724359.jpg
The seam of glue for the 3" pipe cap at the bottom of the unit has pin holed. Leaking just fast enough to leave a damp spot under the rack. Add a little pressure though and it is an obvious issue to be addressed in the redesign.

Attachments

• PXL_20230128_193711700.jpg
    PXL_20230128_193711700.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 3

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
At dinner at the moment from a long drive up to Bridge's. Got a tire track eel to put in the 90 gallon community tank. If It gets too big it can always go in the 300 if the big endli will allow it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Morning shot of the new tire track eel. Very blurry but you get an idea of its patterning.IMG_20230129_102244863(1).jpg

Even though I did water changes on Friday, I spent extra time this morning scrubbing insides of the garage tanks, cleaning the intake tubes on the Aquaclear filters and just a touch more deep cleaning than usual. I did finish off the 300 on Friday too. Feels good when the tanks all sparkle like that.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
After 3 years of service my home brew uv sterilizer housing finally bit the dust. View attachment 12441
The seam of glue for the 3" pipe cap at the bottom of the unit has pin holed. Leaking just fast enough to leave a damp spot under the rack. Add a little pressure though and it is an obvious issue to be addressed in the redesign.
I was going to say, even my Coralife UV (Turbo Twist) needed to be modified. I ended up permanently gluing in the screw on barbed fittings to prevent leaks. I also filled in the viewing windows with a clear epoxy due to leaking and put in a disconnecet plug for the light bilb itself to make the bulb changes easy, without having to disconnect the transformer off my UV assembly. A few of these things would be nice if they were better built to begin with.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Lost a Sajica cichlid last night. This one was the last one that looked bad when I bought it. It was highly discounted so I dont feel too bad. It had a better short life with me than it would have at the fish store. So still have the 5 others that all look very healthy. Got my email notice that Wet Spot got more of these in too. Not sure if I want to try and grow out a pair to breed or just try to raise out a big solo male.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have been trying to find the new eel... I think it found a hollow in the new piece of wood I put in and is either stuck or using it as a hide. It is a really cool fish when its out and swimming around, hopefully it comes out again.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I have been trying to find the new eel... I think it found a hollow in the new piece of wood I put in and is either stuck or using it as a hide. It is a really cool fish when its out and swimming around, hopefully it comes out again.
Hopeful it didn’t jump out… my fire eel jumped out through the overflow on my HOB filter and I found it dried up about 8 feet away from the tank…. That was last year

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hopeful it didn’t jump out… my fire eel jumped out through the overflow on my HOB filter and I found it dried up about 8 feet away from the tank…. That was last year
Im going to look around the tank… I did see its little head sticking out of the new piece of wood the other day. The piece has to have a crevice at least 4” or so for it to have backed itself into.