What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Tank cleaning in the garage and did 5 of the 6. Just need to clean the puffer tank.

Placed an order for two fake rocks from Universal Rocks. This time I ordered the ‘castle rock’ color which I think would go nicely with the dark substrate in the severum tank. I am ready to ditch the flower pots and mismatched plants and do a serious aquascape. Still need to find a nice group of schooling fishes…

John58Ford

I also attempted some morning pics. Here's the only one that didn't look like someone spatter painted the tank with dark green lol.
PXL_20221210_193944731~2.jpg
And here's my gate reflection bombing:
PXL_20221210_191341746.jpg
And here's the infamous "don't let the sun hit your tanks too much" green spot algae:
PXL_20221210_191503379.jpg
We leave the window blinds in this room open whenever there is snow down. I don't like letting people try to dig their way out of my driveway and stuck vehicles are a common occurring phenomena on my hill/curve. GSP algae is just the side effect.

I'm proceeding with water changes now, after I thin the plants I'll probably scrape the affected tanks but then the plants are thin and less fun to photograph. One hand or the other I suppose.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I was just getting ready to do some water changes this afternoon when the power went out at about 3. PSE said the power would be back on by 5, but they always say it'll be back on in 2 hours before they know anything at all. I cranked up the fireplace, just in case, and started the generator as light began to fade around 4:30, and voilà, at 5 the power was restored. Yay! You just never know... o_O

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got the puffer tank cleaned yesterday and while I was at it did a pleco poo gravel touch up on all tanks that have a pleco. More for aesthetics than the actual need to water change. Saw my chubby pleco that lives behind the heater, it had a long sting of poo attached so it must be eating something, lol.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I dont know how my cleaning calendar was so off. I started to clean an Aquaclear on the 90 gallon Oscar tank. Intake tube looked a bit dirty so I started in on it and found it was barely dirty. So then I thought, it must have been the other one that needed cleaning… nope, it too was pretty clean. So I basically cleaned two filters on the tank for no reason, lol. I must have cleaned them fairly recently and forgot to record it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Had to use up a vacation day so I took some time for starting my yearly FX6 rebuilds on the 300 gallon. Ive been replacing all gaskets once a year as a preventative maintenance program. Usually I only service the filters twice a year and with the lack of a big focal fish, the filters have stayed much cleaner. As to the yearly maintenance, just something I do for my own peace of mind. Got one filter done this morning and I have two more to go.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Had to use up a vacation day so I took some time for starting my yearly FX6 rebuilds on the 300 gallon. Ive been replacing all gaskets once a year as a preventative maintenance program. Usually I only service the filters twice a year and with the lack of a big focal fish, the filters have stayed much cleaner. As to the yearly maintenance, just something I do for my own peace of mind. Got one filter done this morning and I have two more to go.
You are in inspiration for the rest of us…. I do zero maintenance on my filters…. Run them into the ground and then just buy a new one and start the process over again. I think that’s why I like the away clear HOB filters. Easy to clean and change out the media and rarely break even after years of abuse.

I went away from canister filters when I had that one leak and drain like 30 gallons of water onto the carpet.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You are in inspiration for the rest of us…. I do zero maintenance on my filters…. Run them into the ground and then just buy a new one and start the process over again. I think that’s why I like the away clear HOB filters. Easy to clean and change out the media and rarely break even after years of abuse.

I went away from canister filters when I had that one leak and drain like 30 gallons of water onto the carpet.
Lol, I do the maintenance to avoid 30 gallons of water onto the carpet. And I do like HOB filters for their ease of cleaning but nothing is big enough for the 300 so I did canisters. In hindsight I wish I did a sump instead.

With no kid at home and essentially a new house with the remodel we did, I do have more tank maintenance time, especially in the winter. During the summer still trying to finish landscaping so the tanks are dirty, they really are!

Orthopod

I was just getting ready to do some water changes this afternoon when the power went out at about 3. PSE said the power would be back on by 5, but they always say it'll be back on in 2 hours before they know anything at all. I cranked up the fireplace, just in case, and started the generator as light began to fade around 4:30, and voilà, at 5 the power was restored. Yay! You just never know... o_O
Glad it went back on . I would be hosed if I did not have a backup generator- the power goes off fairly regularly during the winter where I am. Backup generator is the way to go for piece of mind with higher end fish but also it’s nice to not have to worry about losing heat in the dead of winter for the family.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Glad it went back on . I would be hosed if I did not have a backup generator- the power goes off fairly regularly during the winter where I am. Backup generator is the way to go for piece of mind with higher end fish but also it’s nice to not have to worry about losing heat in the dead of winter for the family.
Absolutely, same here. After I installed the generator setup I told someone that it was worth the expense even if the power never went out again (fat chance of that) just knowing that I was prepared, and didn't have to worry about all the fishes. :thumbsup