Wetspot group buy (on pause 2-11-21)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I recently turned down an offer to get in on an order from the wetspot and now I’m regretting it.....

they NOW have some fish I’d like to order. So let me throw this out to you all, is anyone looking to do a wetspot order in the coming days? If so, let me know. If not, I’ll probably place my order in the coming days.

I’m looking to purchase some hemichromis exsul aka turkana jewels.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Also, since I haven’t shipped since prior to covid, it appears their process has changed.... is emailing the best way or calling like I did previously?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Here is what I’m looking at once they are full grown... thinking about doing 5-6 for my bichir 180g

0D38F997-9008-4827-AD15-B8ADC3894F57.jpeg C5C1AF0D-CB3A-43FD-AD7D-3E5514E8CB36.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im looking.... I cant really find anything I want on their list at the moment.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Those are gorgeous.
Yes, I think so too.

I kept all of the aggressive five spot jewels, and the standard jewel ( hemichromis bimaculatus ) and even had a green forest jewel once( can’t remember the scientific name for that one),

but the colors on these ones is unreal.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The gentlemen from Germany that posted these pics said they are only slightly territorial when they are breeding, otherwise they are similar to a fire mouth when it comes to aggression

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at live bearers but nothing I really want... kind of want to see what I am getting in this case. Ive seen some nice ones at Petco recently so that would likely be my go to for them. I also have considered Nerite snails but something else I can get local pretty easy. Been thinking to get rid of my ‘Raphael’ type cats and replace with hopplo but they dont have any of those. Would consider cories but miss my old hopplo and how it would eat from my fingers.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! Thanks.

glad I hadn’t placed my order yet, I’ll reach out to them

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been tempted to try my hand at Nandopsis haitiensis or Nandopsis tetracanthus but I know the black nasty can be a challenge, which I dont want right now, lol. The Cuban has always intrigued me but its kind of small compared to what I normally raise.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Has anybody here raised Nandopsis haitiensis or Nandopsis tetracanthus?
Maybe this is the new project fish I need to try...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Has anybody here raised Nandopsis haitiensis or Nandopsis tetracanthus?
Maybe this is the new project fish I need to try...
Robert in Tacoma used to have pairs of both..... he never comes on here and is rarely on Facebook anymore. But I can ask him if you have any specific questions

Madness

Staff member
The Nastys are very temperamental when it comes to water conditions and food when young. With the way you maintain your tanks i don't feel water quality will be an issue.

The Cubans are a very hardy fish, nowhere near as delicate. But imo they are washed out in the hobby, meaning no new species introduced to the lineage so the colors and markings are not that great. There are a handful of breeders that have some new lineage and they are beautiful in their markings, and they stay right around that 8" mark.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @lloyd378 and @Madness for the info. I know the nasty’s have a rep for being difficult as juveniles but you rarely see anyone keeping one. They are so cool looking as adults... well the normal ones, not sure about the new mutant big hump variety.

As for the Cuban, dont see them often for sure but agree that current fish on market dont seem very impressive. Plus a 90 gallon tan is a bit of a waste for an 8” fish.

Just doing some research/thinking on some different fishes.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I emailed Wet Spot to ask what type of nasty they are selling. This might just be the next project I might take on.