Through the wall / My Fish Room

John58Ford

I would love to see a shot of those Endlers in color, curious what pattern they are as they don't have peacock tail dots, or saddleback, or black bars; are they japan blue non-sword variety?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I would love to see a shot of those Endlers in color, curious what pattern they are as they don't have peacock tail dots, or saddleback, or black bars; are they japan blue non-sword variety?
I looked up the Japanese Blue and the two males I have look very much like them. 9FE5305E-A9BA-453B-AC2B-DDA4F2217DC3.jpeg

John58Ford

Endlers have already produced fry! No surprise really as the females were already mature.
This is a dangerous path to walk. I saw a female in my big tank today I halted all everything while everyone in the house took up battle stations to eliminate the immanent threat to that tanks sanctity. Now, I must find the mole that planted her in there as the only female Endlers authorized on premises are to be in the snake tank, and never again in a planted asylum lol. Are you keeping the j. Fordii isolated? I would think it to be neat if you could overlay the metallic blue, but picking traits and culling through the mess is rarely as planned(the fordii was originally supposed to have the peacock dots, not the black bar but it turned out cool anyways I guess).

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
This is a dangerous path to walk. I saw a female in my big tank today I halted all everything while everyone in the house took up battle stations to eliminate the immanent threat to that tanks sanctity. Now, I must find the mole that planted her in there as the only female Endlers authorized on premises are to be in the snake tank, and never again in a planted asylum lol. Are you keeping the j. Fordii isolated? I would think it to be neat if you could overlay the metallic blue, but picking traits and culling through the mess is rarely as planned(the fordii was originally supposed to have the peacock dots, not the black bar but it turned out cool anyways I guess).
Yes, the fordii is in a 10g with 2 females. There are two blue males with three females.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
So, I thought I had been maintaining the 115g in a successful manner. Regular water changes and filter cleaning and a continuous water drip. With the removal of the plants I had started siphoning the sand too. When I lost 2 of the Tropheus I thought it was due to aggression so I moved them to the 90g and the shellies, calvus, regani and s. multipunctatus to the 115g. Life got busy so I wasn't spending as much time in the fish room. I noticed some heavy breathing a week ago so I did a large water change and removed 75% of the sand. The next few days I removed the bodies of the gold calvus, the adult female regani and a couple shellies. A few days later I had to euthanize my adult male regani as he was no longer able to swim correctly or maintain position against the current in the tank. I also removed the rest of the sand and added 20lbs of aragonite. I'm down to a dozen adult multies now and a few juveniles. There is one 2in juvenile regani left.
I think there was more waste mixed into the sand than I realized and that the water quality crashed. I tested water quality 2-3 days ago and last night and nitrates are <20ppm and Ph ~8.2. I will retest this evening for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
With the population density being so low now I moved a pair of Sumbu dwarves from the 55g to see how the extra space in the 55g would effect the pecking order. The colony is now 3 males and 2 females in the 55g.

John58Ford

None of that looks all that bad, some actual ammonia or is it the light? I get false up to .25 if I'm under certain LED lights. I don't think any of your fish should be having issues at 10-20ppm nitrates either, especially the multis, I keep my tanks higher than that and phosphate limited so I probably would've noticed if they were nitrate sensitive. Are you still buffering with a package buffer or are you just using straight tap now?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
None of that looks all that bad, some actual ammonia or is it the light? I get false up to .25 if I'm under certain LED lights. I don't think any of your fish should be having issues at 10-20ppm nitrates either, especially the multis, I keep my tanks higher than that and phosphate limited so I probably would've noticed if they were nitrate sensitive. Are you still buffering with a package buffer or are you just using straight tap now?
I added 1Tbsp of buffer this last water change I think. Straight tap otherwise.