The Hybrid Argument

Gosu

fish breeding with other fish happens, and if the mix was benficial it became a new species eventually so theres really no such genetic tampering, now mixing a cichlid with a trout is another story :p

sandnuka

I dont think having a fish tank is messing with nature... I am taking a piece of nature and bringing it in my home... thats simply moving a piece of nature and building it somewhere else....
Gosu, cichlids dont cross breed from cichlids in other lakes.... so that would be the same as the cichlid and trout thing... kinda contradicting yourself.
sidekicking, blood parrots are hidious! I agree with you 100%

me

aaronfeeney said:
I think I am ok with hybrids ,, because pure breeding = in breeding
If you have fish from different bloodlines you can keep in theory pure specimens which are not imbred, and should be just as they are in the wild. The problem with hybridization in cichlids is that there are those dedicated to keeping the fish true to what they were in the wild, and then hybrids that look right but aren't get mixed in. Then fish with spots, or whatever seep into the pure bloodlines and in some cases where the fish no longer exist in the wild this can be a very sad thing. Lake Victoria is a prime example.

CrashSmAshley

I'm really not sure how I feel about this subject...yeah, it's cool to have all those different colors and stuff, but it does shorten lifespan. And even though they aren't hybrids, look at "glo fish". Chemically altered fish that appear to glow. Just normal tetras that now live just under about 3/4 of the lifespan they could.

Kingstature

So those of you that hate hybrids are you against Interracial Children, are they considered Hybrids and we should eliminate them as well.. Gimme a break, Hybrids occur in all aspects of life.. Heck look at apples imagine only having one choice of apples??? (Just an example) :king: :lol!:

jesse705

nice...and yeah im married to a korean so our kids are gonna be hybrids...hmmm i wonder how many stripes they will have!

Kingstature

jesse705 said:
nice...and yeah im married to a korean so our kids are gonna be hybrids...hmmm i wonder how many stripes they will have!
I know its crazy to think Huh... Dang Hippies....LOL.... Depends how many stripes you have and what part of Korea she originated from.... :geek:

sandnuka

Kings - you cant use humans in this argument.. lol... humans choose who they want to be with... Fish are being forced to cross breed.... its not like your giving them a choice of choosing there own species, or a different one... cause we know they would stick to there own kind. Racist little fish.. lol

Looks like the polls are locked!!! wow baby! awesome! I love to see this argument split. The hybrids lovers will continue there thing.... and the naturalists will continue there thing.... this will insure we always have both! LOVE IT!

Kingstature

sandnuka said:
Kings - you cant use humans in this argument.. lol... humans choose who they want to be with... Fish are being forced to cross breed.... its not like your giving them a choice of choosing there own species, or a different one... cause we know they would stick to there own kind. Racist little fish.. lol

Looks like the polls are locked!!! wow baby! awesome! I love to see this argument split. The hybrids lovers will continue there thing.... and the naturalists will continue there thing.... this will insure we always have both! LOVE IT!
I can do what I want.... We place dividers between species to see if they want to pair up, so in a sense they do have as much choice as blind dates...LOL..
What about plants, apples, seedless watermelon??? Why not make things better?
And no it does not shorten life expectancy or health, I have a 13 year old flowerhorn that acts the same way he did when he was 3" inches big.. Hes not sick never been still has not slowed down... I see the argument if we were releasing these fish back into the wild that it would not be ok.. Also really how fair is it to stay pure and to take a fish from the wild and keep them in a aquarium for our own self pleasure?? Talk about inhumane.. Dont get me wrong Im greedy too and love owning wild purebreed fish.. I just chose to create fish that know nothing about living outside an aquarium... Also these are just my random thoughts on this subject they are in no way proven facts (Except I do own 13 year old flowerhorn thats a fact) :king:

A

Anonymous

I had a heated argument on cichlid forums about this..I even made a video about it..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owb6L_QK1pQ

Although I am no longer a threat since I have a species specific tank, I think it you have hybrids and keep them to yourself, then it is fine. If you pollute the hobby with them, then you are doing a disservice.

sandnuka

Spyral!!! LMAO! OMG!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, your video made me laugh so hard my eyes began to tear up... that was awesome! Thanks so much for the video link, it is a perfect thing to watch for the argument. I love it..... thanks!
and I agree with you 100% on your thoughts on the argument. Thanks for puttin in your two cents!

larry.beck

LMFAO I saw parts of that ... disagreement, but this was FAR, FAR and AWAY the best part! :bounce: :shock: :bounce:

A

Anonymous

sandnuka said:
Spyral!!! LMAO! OMG!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, your video made me laugh so hard my eyes began to tear up... that was awesome! Thanks so much for the video link, it is a perfect thing to watch for the argument. I love it..... thanks!
and I agree with you 100% on your thoughts on the argument. Thanks for puttin in your two cents!

Glad you like it! lol

A

Anonymous

larry.beck said:
LMFAO I saw parts of that ... disagreement, but this was FAR, FAR and AWAY the best part! :bounce: :shock: :bounce:
I'm too much of a joker to actually argue efficiently. I tend to lose interest and make funnies..lol

Clogstonian

Can you really apply the word/term hybrid to human interracial breeding :?: It's applicable with say a human and chimpanzee but doesn't apply to organisms of the same species, I have been wrong before though . . . Humanzee . . . sounds like a sequel to the Planet of the Apes series.

As to the "hybrid" fish/animal question, I fall on the not in favor of, side . . they tend to look inbred or mutant to my eye.

Here's my hypocracy; plants, I love japaneses maples, hybrid tea rose etc . . . not problem with those at all and I have them in my yard.

interesting convo! Picture of my wife below :joker:
hybrid10.jpg

Doza

I really dont have a problem with hybrids.. Some of the coolest fish we have currently ARE hybrids... How else do you expect there to be any sort of evolution at all.. Hybrids is a big part of it... If the Hybrid was able to reproduce still and had favorable traits for survival it did so and passed thos on to the next generation..

I have 3 blood parrots and they are neat and look ok.. Brilliant orange and they are not died..

Would never buy died or tattooed fish

sandnuka

yes I know how you work jason... come up with this new species... call it a flowerhorn and sell it to pet shops,..... Awesome.

A

Anonymous

In my opinion, those Blood Parrots are an abomination, an affront to God and common sense.