Southern Delight foods?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Southern Delight foods?

Who all uses this brand and how do you like it? I'm sending payment for my first batch tomorrow. It's not only better but cheaper than the bulk food I am currently feeding!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Re: Southern Delight foods?

I use it. I really like it. From the few brands I've used over the years, this one seems to be cleaner ( less waste and less surface dust than others) gave my fish a growth spurt after a few weeks of using it, and keeps their colors really nice! I've used it exclusively for almost 6 months now.

The only thing I've noticed is that my fish didn't take to it right away ( almost like they didn't know of it was food or not) but now they hit the pellets/ splash water out of my tank.

And for fry the nano krill is crazy good. My fry actually grow quickly on it!

I also buy it in bulk ( and I got a great deal from Conway for being a repeat customer . I've order it for times now)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Ive used it for a few months and I thought it was a pretty good food. It was a bit messy and would leave a bit more of a surface film than some other brands Ive used. In the end I decided to go back to a food I had used before. One of the problems that contributed to this was likely the fact I was using the PowerFeed and Large Cichlid pellets which are bigger than what I currently feed. Too big of a pellet and your cichlid will grind its food instead of swallowing it whole. So even though I have a couple large fish, the largest pellet I now use is a medium (around 4mm).

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

I ordered the veggie krill and tropical formula this time. So I'm interested to see how well my fish will do on it. They have always been on flake so I'm curious how they will take to this.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

I am still using the SD small cichlid pellets on my growouts. I think it is the same size as the tropical at 1.5mm. The fish really like it and are doing well. All the community fish eat it too. The VeggieKrill is good but just a bit small for my big fish and too big for my growouts. I wish this one were in a 4mm sized pellet.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Hopefully mine take to it well. He is shipping it out today or tomorrow. I may get it before I leave or they will start eating it when I get back from vacation.

Madness

Staff member

They are working on a larger Veggie Krill, so can't wait for that.  Ashley, you wont be sorry.  I am not sure what DMD is talking about. :joker: :geek: :joker: 

I really think your fish will love it. :)

Madness

Staff member

Got other things going on this morning. Fish coming in, and a distributor in Florida wants some of my fish, so I have been all over the place. lol

If you were closer i would give you some of each that you ordered for you to get your fish use to it before your order arrives. :( Oh well, thats what happens when you live in another world. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Madness said:
I am not sure what DMD is talking about.
You have a different filtration so dont have the same issue. If I had an overflow/skimmer type set up that would get the scum off the top, I would probably still be using it. Whatever the case the SD was 100x cleaner than using NLS. That stuff would totally clog up the filter sponges and the fish would swim around making 'red fart clouds' of waste.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Conway is sending out my shipment today I think? I'm definitely interested in trying it. I'm hoping it'll reduce the waste amount in my tanks too. Nice that they all eat the same foods.

Madness

Staff member

DMD123 said:
Madness said:
I am not sure what DMD is talking about.
You have a different filtration so dont have the same issue. If I had an overflow/skimmer type set up that would get the scum off the top, I would probably still be using it. Whatever the case the SD was 100x cleaner than using NLS. That stuff would totally clog up the filter sponges and the fish would swim around making 'red fart clouds' of waste.
 :tongue: 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

My last food order came from Petco. They had some freakish sale on Omega One and they offered free shipping with no minimum order. That sale made my food cheaper than buying the bulk SD. I always buy ahead and wait for sales so the savings buying the SD is pretty slight in my case.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

For me to get the same food I have been in the same quantity it would cost me 28.24 with shipping so it does save me some. And in comparison is better quality too.