So I got this little 150 gallon over the weekend.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Cool! Will be nice to be able to hide heaters in the sump. Will give it a nice clean show tank appearance when done. Cant wait to see it with fish! :woot:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
fish_n_vw said:
As for stock, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to shuffle about. I can't buy more fish because I have so many already. But I'm thinking about the 7 isletes, and the 8 nics. And maybe find some F0 loisellei, maybe 6 so I can get a pair.
Maybe we should have a fishbox contest and help VW with what we want to see in there. :joker:
Jumbo Betta gets my vote!

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I am very happy with it. Why is the overflow there???? Lol, how strange. But like ii said not enough to make me not want it.

A

Anonymous

My 3 year old told me to put fish in it now. But I don't think he knows what he's talking about. I tried to explain that the temp isent right yet. But he insisted. I think I'm going to ground him for it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Your 3 year old knows fish, better listen to him! :lmfao:

Anthraxx

lol VW awesome new tank. i really love the overall look of it. bummer that the africans arent doing it for ya.. but to each his own. man 100$ on a uhaul.. i told ya i coulda helped lol. anyways grats on the new setup and new oven again. also i should have some logs u can have when im done sinking my new ones.. anyways grats again and keep those videos coming.

A

Anonymous

You don't have to worry about the video thing. I'm gonna go nuts!!! And thanks.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The second one is alright but we need the third one to wrap up the trilogy. We want fish in it! :tongue:

A

Anonymous

I know... these things take time. I just seeded the filter half hour ago and the temp is not at 80. It will probably be tomorow.

vancouver_98683

And yes that overflow is bit strange where it's located.
In retrospect to those who may think this at first glance. Is the top overflow slotted 360 degrees? If it is, the person who pre-drilled it away from the left side/back wall and implemented the box was thinking ahead. Reasoning, eliminating a overflow on each corner side and had a HIGH water TURNOVER RATIO in mind. Plus. it's only viewable from side rather than the long portion. I dig it and a large sump below was there on purpose.

vancouver_98683

vancouver_98683 said:
And yes that overflow is bit strange where it's located.
In retrospect to those who may think this at first glance. Is the top overflow slotted 360 degrees? If it is, the person who pre-drilled it away from the left side/back wall and implemented the box was thinking ahead. Reasoning, eliminating a overflow on each corner side and had a HIGH water TURNOVER RATIO in mind. Plus. it's only viewable from side rather than the long portion. I dig it and a large sump below was there on purpose.

In other words, I like everything about it. Awesome tank! Technically, it does not need to be slotted all the way around for overflow. OF placement in my opinion is cool and unique. You can place a black background to kinda disguise the "overflow island" a bit.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, that is the plan. This was a reef tank, so I'm sure the high turnover rate was planned.I wish there was more info on freshwater sumps. I'm so new to it that I really don't know what I'm supposed to put and where to put it. I don't know if ots ok to use the over flow as a chamber in the system. The water goes through it so fast that its pretty loud and it irratates me, but I fear that putting something in it will cause a back up and the system will flood. I also want to put some pads to pot polish the water into that drawer above the bio ball ball chamber, but again fear that with such a small space, it will easily clog and flood. I'm kinda lost. And the tank isent clearing much because the only media it has is bio balls.

fishman09

walmart has some square felt pads in the crafts section that i use that work awesome as a water polisher. great thing is that theyre only 20 cents a piece and a quick runthrough the washer without any soap gets them very clean. they clog fairly quickly but to me just means theyre awesome filters. i change or clean them about once a week. as for the noise does it fall all the way from the overflow to the bottom of the tank and a hole there? i would add some sort of valve so you can choke down the water going out to equal the pump output and add a pipe in there to raise the water level in the overflow so its not falling 2 feet to the bottom if thats whats happening

vancouver_98683

I use poly-fill from Walmart from the craft isle. I've tried the pads and they seem to clog up a little faster. Depending on load and left over pellets, a change of once a week is recommended. Personally, my changing regiment is every 4 days. SUX, I know but I also run a canister to polish the debris as well.