So I got this little 150 gallon over the weekend.

A

Anonymous

Hey, picked up another big tank this weekend. Shot a few videos, but I need wifi to upload them. So since I'm at work, I will just show the few pics I took this mourning on my way out the door. This tank had beed sitting for 15 years and all I had to do was take apart the return pump and get new gaskets for the bulheads. Then it was good to go. Right now its sitting full of water and running, so I can adjust the temp and let all the chlorine disapate. Tonight I will be seeding the filter with hopes to have a "test" fish in there tomorow. Here's a few pics, there will be a few videos later tonight. Thanks, and enjoy.

IMG_20120213_052628.jpg

IMG_20120213_052642.jpg

IMG_20120213_052719.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I really like the stand. The tank looks like a 'built in' type furniture piece. This is a nice show tank for the living room for sure. Cant wait to see the video and stock you have for it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I'm very happy with it. I got the whole system for pretty cheap. 350$ plus the 100$ uhaul. As for stock, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to shuffle about. I can't buy more fish because I have so many already. But I'm thinking about the 7 isletes, and the 8 nics. And maybe find some F0 loisellei, maybe 6 so I can get a pair.

Betty

Staff member
Beautiful setup!

Too bad you can't buy any more fish. You're missing Malawi cichlids! There are some awesome, large species that would love that tank. ;)

A

Anonymous

Thanks betty, you know, most of the africans I have are really starting to become very boring to me. I am actually planning on getting rid of most of them. They just don't do it for me.

Betty

Staff member
Have you kept any from Lake Malawi before? Most of mine are Malawi and they are fun to keep after you get the aggression figured out. I do like the behaviors of the Tangs, but for me they are nowhere near the action that the Malawis are, with the exception of Tropheus.

A

Anonymous

I kept acei at one point, but they dident really do it for me either. There attractive, but I just don't think there for me.

JimA

A big colony of Tropheus would look awsome in that tank. I also like the tank nice trim and what not!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks. And tropheus are cool. But I already have the fish I'm putting in.

A

Anonymous

Nope, in that last video I did of my 110, there was isletes and nics in there. I plan on putting them in the 150, along with some loisellei, if I can source some that I know are loisellei. There 8 nics and 7 isletes, I'm just gonna let them grow out there. And grab a pair or two of each and leave them in and sell all the others. I really like isletes and nics for there colors and I think there body shapes contrast eachother very nicely. The loisellei, will also have a nice contrasting body shape and color. It should be a really good looking tank. And its all lake nicaragua. I will keep the bocourti, aureus, and robertsoni in the 110 as originally planned. And move out the "invaders" as soon as I am confident the 150 can handle the bio load.

vancouver_98683

That's a great looking plan actually. I'm anticipating the video. The commentating is pretty funny to me, since we can hear your child in the background for most. Have three all under the age of 8, so I can relate.

A

Anonymous

Mine are 10,8,3 and one in the oven. And yeah, you here my kids, my bird etc. I think its funny, and it dosent bother me much.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hey VW, I know you like to keep fish that normally occur together in nature. Here is one of my alltime favorites that I want to put together but now with my SA stock wont happen.

Here is the article: http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=148

This is the section that I liked and quoted from:

"Thorichthys pasionis is found together with two other Thorichthys species. As mentioned, Thorichthys meeki, but also with T. helleri. This latter species differs in that it seems to prefer riverine habitats and it is found in small densities in the yellow meeki company. Other cichlid species include the substrate sifter Amphilophus robertsoni, also known as the "mojarra zacatera", Paratheraps bifasciatus and P. synspilus. 'Cichlasoma' octofaciatus (which will be probably assigned to the genus Archocentrus). Parachromis friedrichsthali, P. managuensis and Petenia splendida include the cichlid predators also found together with the yellow meeki, and which probably prey on its young. Other cichlid species are 'Cichlasoma' salvini and 'Cichlasoma' urophthalmus, which are found in good numbers, and 'Cichlasoma' heterospilum and 'Cichlasoma' pearsei, which also seem to prefer riverine habitats.

Other fish families and species found in good numbers in the lagoons where Thorichthys pasionis inhabit include: Poecilidae: represented at least by Belonesox belicianus, Poecilia petenense, Carlhubbsia kidderi, Phallichthys fairweatheri (In the Petén Area), Gambusia yucatana and Gambusia sexradiata. Clupeidae: Dorosoma petensisis and Dorosoma anale. Characidae; Astyanax aeneus and Hyphessobrycon compressus. Lepisosteidae; Lepisosteus tropicus, Pimelodidae; Rhamdia guatemalensis and Rhamdia laticauda. Ariidae; Arius aguadulce. Atherinidae; Atherinella alvarezi and Symbranchidae: Ophisternon aenigmaticum. Riverine habitats include several more species."

A

Anonymous

Very good read. I have to many tanks though D... why would you do this to me? Man how much fun would that tank be. So many options. Well, I bookmarked it. Will have to go back and reread and take notes into one of my dozens of notebooks when I get home. Thanks.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I really liked it because I could have a pearsei in that mix. :D

Madness

Staff member
Speaking of Loisellei. Cichlids of the Americas has one available that I have never heard of, he calls it a Panama Loisellei, with more orange coloring. Hmmmmmmmm.

And the tank looks sweet. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had seen those listed, sounds interesting.... so who's the first one here to get them? Do I smell a group buy?