So I Got An Arowana

Wolf-Keeper1

Since were talking about arowana's does anybody know if the golden cross back is illegal? The aquabid thing says it's from australia so it isn't an aiasian arowana. Anyway just curious.

dmopar74

a golden cross back is an asian aro and is illegal

the only legal aro's in the us are-
black
silver
jardini
leichardti
african

any asian of any color or varient is illegal.

dmopar74

i just checked out those aro's on aquabid, those are simply jardini aros. its rather easy to make aro's look a certain color with the use of lighting, and background/substrate color.

hbluehunter

Plus if you see people selling Asian Aro's on aquabid or on craigslist beware.. Fish and game like to do stings and catch people buying and selling these fish.. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

protocl

while small: Hikari pellets, FD bloodworms and brine.
While big: slices of beefheart, tilapia fillets.
Stay away from live worms and such; gut loaded crickets and mealworms are fine.
Keep top lid shut and any small crevices should be dealt with.
As for my aro: calm, playful, but very strong for a pet fish. Will always take foods from my fingers and stay around the area of the tank where I lounge and chill.
Make sure the water current is mild and has a proper flow pattern; my aro would act stressed before I changed this to accomodate it.

Your aro will lose some scales, don't worry...it grows back.
DE is expected among silver arowana's.
You Will need a big tank, later.

Wolf-Keeper1

Thanks man. Very informative. I heard of gut loading feeders and such. How would I gut load crikets and meal worms? Is it the same just feed them the food sticks?

Addictedtofish

I use to raise crickets for my reptiles. Gut loading is where you feed good quality food to your crickets so your reptiles will be getting good quality crickets with right nutrition and such. Same thing for feeder fish.

Wolf-Keeper1

Really? That's funny I never guessed carrots. I remember going to aquarist wrold or something in white center and the dude had carrots in all the tanks. I wondered why. Fish eat carrots? Or is it a vitamin in the carrot.

USMCtanker

protocl said:
As for my aro: calm, playful, but very strong for a pet fish. Will always take foods from my fingers and stay around the area of the tank where I lounge and chill.
Make sure the water current is mild and has a proper flow pattern; my aro would act stressed before I changed this to accomodate it.

1. curious why u say no live worms an such, i have feed my arrow millions with out a problem, i feed most my fish worms on occasion. i know to be careful of bait worms, makeing sure there isnt anything added, but some worms such as california black worms an good sources for earthworms are loaded with goodys for fish an a huge part of alot of fish diet

protocl

USMCtanker said:
protocl said:

curious why u say no live worms an such, i have feed my arrow millions with out a problem, i feed most my fish worms on occasion. i know to be careful of bait worms, makeing sure there isnt anything added, but some worms such as california black worms an good sources for earthworms are loaded with goodys for fish an a huge part of alot of fish diet
its more so a precaution, rather than a total 'do not.'
I mentioned this, because im not sure on how his setups are and what types of tanks he has to house a silver arowana when it gets big and sick. so, if he has a big tank to hospitalize it, my suggestion can be ignored.
I usually stay away from live foods for my fishes, in general. even if i fed my arowana with live BW, she probably would not see them lol. before i had to finger feed my aro the frozen bloodworms. plus, most fishes will become addicted to a specific type of foods, ignoring all others.

USMCtanker

protocl said:
USMCtanker said:
protocl said:

curious why u say no live worms an such, i have feed my arrow millions with out a problem, i feed most my fish worms on occasion. i know to be careful of bait worms, makeing sure there isnt anything added, but some worms such as california black worms an good sources for earthworms are loaded with goodys for fish an a huge part of alot of fish diet
its more so a precaution, rather than a total 'do not.'
I mentioned this, because im not sure on how his setups are and what types of tanks he has to house a silver arowana when it gets big and sick. so, if he has a big tank to hospitalize it, my suggestion can be ignored.
I usually stay away from live foods for my fishes, in general. even if i fed my arowana with live BW, she probably would not see them lol. before i had to finger feed my aro the frozen bloodworms. plus, most fishes will become addicted to a specific type of foods, ignoring all others.
ok lol was just woundering if u know something i dont, but if ur worried about what ur worried about, i would say that the crikets an mealworms are just as risky. really any food besides pre made fish foods must be look at carefully. for me a good diet helps a fish not get sick, along with a higher temp no lower than 80 no higher than 86 for arrows an most tankmates kept with them. my arrows never had a problem an at times i even feed feeder mice. just need good filtration bc the poop is a real mess lol. most people i know that keep arrows would say a good varitey diet is needed to have a healthy fish. but when useing any live foods, they should come from a clean reliable source an still inspected an fully rinced off before hand.
just my 2 cents. but live feeder fish from pets stores should be put in a quarantine tank before being feed. as thats how most get there fish sick, is a bad batch of feeders. but ur 100% right, dont wanna get a fish sick, but i think a good diet an makeing sure its good clean food for its diet is better as this will help its health. thats what most arrow farmers in east say anyway lol. an worked for me.

i loose money but its just a matter of a few pennies ,my feeder goldfish here are taken care of as they were going to be pets,

they get feed trout chow ,if they look rough when i get them in i use erythromycin on them ,that's the spendy part ,and i like to feed them metronidazole flakes and feed them to my fish here ,kinda like gut loading a cricket,

i had a red belly for 13 years ,i know what its like to get a bad batch of feeders

sure glad i sell the arowana fast here ,the feeder mouse thing sounds nasty

protocl

i had a co-worker who feeds his jardini, nothing but feeders. just dumps 20 or 30 of them with the jardini. lol

im sure, there are keepers who do not want to spend the extra cash on foods, such as beefheart, tilapia etc...the good thing is, i eat beefheart, tilapia, chicken heart! so, i just cut a few pieces, prepare them and then feed to the fishes. lol

hbluehunter

I used to feed my 1st Jardini feeders for along time when i first got it until i learned about all the bad disease and stuff they carry.. As far as the worms go i learned from a member on MFK can't remember who it was right now about gut loading worms.. Make a bowl of oatmeal, cool it down and instant worm chow..lol Better than feeding worms full of dirt..