SHOW OFF YOUR TANK!

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
I first saw a silver Arowana in a public aquarium when I was a boy; it was easily 2-feet long, and I was fascinated by its graceful undulating method of swimming. Years later, when I was a postdoc in New Haven and had my first proper fishroom, I acquired a little one that I had for several years, and I had a hard time keeping up with his growth rate! They are beautiful and unusual, but I like them best when they are less than full-grown.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I first saw a silver Arowana in a public aquarium when I was a boy; it was easily 2-feet long, and I was fascinated by its graceful undulating method of swimming. Years later, when I was a postdoc in New Haven and had my first proper fishroom, I acquired a little one that I had for several years, and I had a hard time keeping up with his growth rate! They are beautiful and unusual, but I like them best when they are less than full-grown.
When I lived in NYC the NY Aquarium had a tank with an Arowana with a school of harlequin rasboras. The rasboras were small enough that the arowana most likely wasn't interested as it was quite large. It was fun to watch each trade ends of the tank. The tank was not heavily planted but did have cover for the rasboras. I have wanted to replicate that ever since.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
When I lived in NYC the NY Aquarium had a tank with an Arowana with a school of harlequin rasboras. The rasboras were small enough that the arowana most likely wasn't interested as it was quite large. It was fun to watch each trade ends of the tank. The tank was not heavily planted but did have cover for the rasboras. I have wanted to replicate that ever since.
That sounds very cool, but if I were doing something like that I might go with schooling fishes that are a bit larger, and faster. Giant danios?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
In college, my room mates and myself found an 8’ long tank for sale…. For the longest time we had an 18” silver arrowana and a 14” jardini arrowana.

We quickly found that the silver could live with other fish, but the jardini did not do well with other fish. We had power heads/ wave makers all over the tank at different levels to cause the aarowanas to work a little harder to go from side to side, but they could still traverse the entire tank in 2 or maybe 3 swishes of their body!