Shell dwellers

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
My calvus pushes around my compressiceps … no body damage but definitely moves it from point A to point B.

I love my calvus. It probably my favorite Tang. I have

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im liking my inkfin quite a bit and was hoping to add another but my 30 is just too small. Was wanting another fish that could be solo with the group of shellies but apparently not really anything or it would just be too aggressive.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to order a different food for these guys. I was using a New Life Spectrum 1mm cichlid pellet but it seemed a bit big so I ordered the grow formula that comes in a .5mm. I had read on other sites that this was the food of choice for the small shellies but at the time it was high priced so I passed on it and did the cichlid 1mm. I started using the 1mm stuff on my community tank so no loss there.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am asking Sand city Cichlids if they have any coupons coming up... The price on my fish is $6 cheaper than Wet Spot if I order from them. So $18 saved in fish, but their shipping is higher. A coupon would be nice!

Sand City Cichlids $16 per fish (x3) = $48 + $55.30 shipping = $103.30
Wet Spot $22 per fish, 10% off this upcoming weekend = $59.40 + $30 shipping = $89.40

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I am asking Sand city Cichlids if they have any coupons coming up... The price on my fish is $6 cheaper than Wet Spot if I order from them. So $18 saved in fish, but their shipping is higher. A coupon would be nice!

Sand City Cichlids $16 per fish (x3) = $48 + $55.30 shipping = $103.30
Wet Spot $22 per fish, 10% off this upcoming weekend = $59.40 + $30 shipping = $89.40
Keep us updated on sand city, and on a different note, I have been feeding my multies flake formula for cichlids

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got my answer to is any discount coupons coming up at Sand City:
"None scheduled at the moment. A few species are discounted currently."

Looks like I will be placing that Wet Spot order during the 10% off sale this weekend.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Question... probably directed at @sir_keith, Do I need to worry, adding in three smaller Lamprologus Occelatus Gold in with my existing group of four slightly larger ones? Aggression toward new fish being too severe?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Question... probably directed at @sir_keith, Do I need to worry, adding in three smaller Lamprologus Occelatus Gold in with my existing group of four slightly larger ones? Aggression toward new fish being too severe?

That's difficult to predict, but if you have an abundance of shells- and I mean lots of shells- they should all find safe places to hide until things settle down. That said, do keep an eye on them initially for any signs that a particular fish is being harassed. I'd like to see more shells than in this pic, which you posted earlier; at least twice as many-

IMG_20210826_170609579.jpg

What's going on with the four you already have? Are they just hanging out singly? This will affect how the newcomers are welcomed. Fingers crossed. :thumbsup

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The four I have currently hang out together a lot. Still a lot of schooling behavior going on with a few breaks of fish going to their own areas on occasion. There are like 36 shells for the 4 fish spread out in the tank.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The four I have currently hang out together a lot. Still a lot of schooling behavior going on with a few breaks of fish going to their own areas on occasion. There are like 36 shells for the 4 fish spread out in the tank.
That's good news. If they're still behaving like juveniles- hanging out together and schooling- it will be easier for the newcomers to be accepted into the group.

As for the shells, you're seeing 36 shells in the tank; I'm seeing 5 groups of shells, each of which could be monopolized by a single bonded pair. I'd add more shells along the back of the tank, and not be afraid of crowding them together. Once pair-bonding begins, they're going to rearrange everything anyway. :whistle

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im still tempted to add a rock dweller into the mix... a group of Julidochromis maybe?
I would add some more rockwork, likely in the left corner if I did that. Leaning towards the transcriptus if I do decide to add another element to the little tank.

Just want some more movement or action in this tank, it just is so bleek in there.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Okay some confusion... In my readings Ive seen that some say you can keep one Julidochromis. Yet the recommendation here has been to get a group until a pair forms and then get rid of the rest. What if I dont want a breeding pair? Why cant I keep one solo like my calvus? Ive been looking at the smaller Julidochromis and from what I gather the transcriptus, stay small and are not know to be overly aggressive. A little insight on this...

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Okay some confusion... In my readings Ive seen that some say you can keep one Julidochromis. Yet the recommendation here has been to get a group until a pair forms and then get rid of the rest. What if I dont want a breeding pair? Why cant I keep one solo like my calvus? Ive been looking at the smaller Julidochromis and from what I gather the transcriptus, stay small and are not know to be overly aggressive. A little insight on this...
Yes, it can be done. It's not something I would do, but it can be done. That said, if you're looking to add 'more movement or action' to this tank, a single Julie is unlikely to do that, because these are somewhat secretive fishes, and a single specimen is likely to spend most of his/her time hiding. You only get interesting Julie behaviours with groups or pairs. Just my opinion...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
One of the main reasons I chose the Occelatus was what I read up on them not being hiders in the shells like others could be. This has proven true with them being out and about a lot. Even with my hand in the tank they do not retreat in shells. Maybe just getting a few more might be enough to get the action in the tank that Im looking for.

Its tough because I kind of compare to the lively action in the 46g bowfront community and this tank just is very slow... I know once the calvus has some size there will be a bit more interest. I was hoping for another different lone fish or some small schooler that could work in this hard water tank AND not break the bank, lol. Tomorrow I was going to put in the Wet Spot order for more Occelatus so just wanted to get things finalized.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I need to bite the bullet and pay full price… Wet Spot does not have my Occelatus now so the 10% off sale does me no good. I know Sand City Cichlids has a lot but not wanting to spend $55 in shipping for just the 3 little fish. Maybe if others wanted to do a group buy… but really wanted the coupon deal.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Well, Sand City does have two different Callochromis species you might try. o_O

Just kidding!!! Callochromis are one of the most aggressive Tanganyikans I've ever encountered: they build huge nests, are insanely aggressive towards conspecifics, and demand tons of space; think one male in a 125. They are only 3-4"TL, look pretty and delicate, but looks can be deceiving. I've tried them a few times over the years, never with much success. Someday...

Callochromis_melanostigma_01.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I just ordered a couple more shells. A different variety: 12 Extra Large Natural Japanese (Fairyland) Land Snail Shells 3" - 4"

These ones:
81rHVI-fwzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
61cIqNGG79L._AC_SL1443_.jpg