Shell dwellers

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Aquarium paradise has a bucket of shells back by where they keep the used substrate…. I bought a small bag for a few bucks ( I hand picked the shells). I was able to get small, extra small, and medium sized . I bought them for my fry.
I had seen a 5 gallon bucket of shells and wondered what it was all about, lol. I will have to check it out, thanks for that @lloyd378

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Ive seen the authentic shells for sale and yikes they are expensive! Likely just find some turbo snail type shell that’s smaller and it should work. A bit heavier and bulkier but very affordable in comparison.

It's ridiculous to pay those prices for Neothauma shells: you're just paying for shipping, middlemen, and greed. Most any shells work, but you want to avoid shells in which the fishes can get stuck, especially the turriform and obconic shells. And @Betty is right: small shells provide excellent cover for small fishes. :thumbsup

Fig3.56.2-GastropodShapes.png

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
There's someone out of S. Africa selling Neothauma shells on the cichlid forum. Asking $100/35 shells plus $50 shipping. :rolleyes:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
These shells… are they in crocodile infested waters? Are they in countries where political conflict make it difficult to harvest? Are they so deep that it’s difficult to harvest? What exactly makes them so outrageously expensive?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
These shells… are they in crocodile infested waters? Are they in countries where political conflict make it difficult to harvest? Are they so deep that it’s difficult to harvest? What exactly makes them so outrageously expensive?
(1) Sometimes, but not usually. (2) Ditto. (3) No. (4) Greed.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I know with the political turmoil in some of those African countries, other fish Ive collected in the past like the bichirs, can also be difficult to bring in certain catch locations. I remember an episode of River Monsters where the host had mentioned he was arrested in one of those areas for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. At least he lived to tell about it.

Maybe one of should go on vacation to Lake T. , collect shells and basically be able to fund the whole trip from the sale of those shells...

John58Ford

I actually tried to convince my wife that we should go wild collecting for our 15th anniversary this summer. The idea fell flat sadly. If I find myself in Africa I'll look for some shells though lol.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well as time has progressed I have done a recount of fish and with the littlest one I have 9 fish now. Turns out 5 did survive from the recent order. One of the smaller medium sized fish was hiding up until recently and then the ultra little one moved to a different shell that is partially buried with sand in the opening so the bigger fish cant get to it. I think all the extra fish make the aggression get spread out more with no single fish getting the brunt of it. Still not seeing any breeding behavior yet. Seen the two largest believe males) flare at each other and display with fins all extended but otherwise just boring behavior.

John58Ford

Seen the two largest believe males) flare at each other and display with fins all extended but otherwise just boring behavior.
The fun to watch behavior is when you sit a few feet back having a beer and watch the *females* spit sand back and forth trying to roll their shells into the perfect angle, not to be repositioned by silly humans. This happens more often as the stocking hits critical mass and there are less vacant shells. Once you get them breeding, they're going to be like rabbits.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The turbo snail shells seem small but the medium sized fish seem to like them too. I feel like I should get some sized in between these small shells and the escargot shells. It amazes me the fish dont get stuck in them.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
This pretty little thing is Neolamprologus kungweensis. This species is often called a 'shell dweller' in the hobby, but it is actually a mud-burrower, like its much larger relatives, Triglochromis and Limnochromis. I've always wanted to try to keep some of these fishes over a hard mud substrate, but I've never known how to do that. :cool:

Neolamrologus kungweensis_01@50.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think Ive seen those offered at Sand City Cichlids… very cool looking little guy

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
How long does it take for the Occelatus to reach sexual maturity and what can I expect to see as signs of breeding behavior?

Right now Im getting a bit bored with these guys. I see one big dominant fish that chases others around and no real distinguishing characteristics as to male or female. What are the odds of all males with 8 fish? lol