Searching for the perfect Trimac

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Sold him... QQ He was flaring at me and flaring as I was catching him. This one had the attitude for sure. I did not see any noticeable eye issue anymore. The guy who got him drove in from Bremerton and was going to keep him solo in a 125. My other trimac just does not have the same attitude but the decision is made and I will put my efforts into the one left to make him the best looking fish I can.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Sure enough, new pictures and interest in the fish. Supposed to meet him tomorrow for pick up. Interestingly this person was one who expressed interest before but had to back out…

If I sell this one then I can get fish moved around and finish my fish room stocking!

' ...finish my fish room stocking...'

Famous last words! o_O

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
' ...finish my fish room stocking...'

Famous last words! o_O
lol, I know some love turnover when it comes to fish to try out different species and what not, but I like to pick ones I like and keep long term for the life of the fish. Does not mean I wont order half a dozen for getting that solo exceptional male show fish but the others get rehomed along the way. This is what I did to get my keeper trimac. Once I move my Oscar to its 90 gallon then the 65B becomes home for its new inhabitant(s)...

sir_keith

Legendary Member
lol, I know some love turnover when it comes to fish to try out different species and what not, but I like to pick ones I like and keep long term for the life of the fish. Does not mean I wont order half a dozen for getting that solo exceptional male show fish but the others get rehomed along the way. This is what I did to get my keeper trimac. Once I move my Oscar to its 90 gallon then the 65B becomes home for its new inhabitant(s)...
I'm having to move things around in my fish room all the time, even when I'm not getting new fishes. o_O

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the keeper
IMG_20211121_091643289.jpgIMG_20211121_091646640.jpgIMG_20211121_091815266.jpg
His tankmate seems to be doing okay with him
IMG_20211121_091734510.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Down to the one trimac and he is getting to be an easy going fish at the moment. Trying to increase coloration by feed some krill but not a whole lot of red coming through. He is pretty happy in this tank and so far seems to be doing quite well with the large rhino pleco as a tankmate.

DCcrest

Sold him... QQ He was flaring at me and flaring as I was catching him. This one had the attitude for sure. I did not see any noticeable eye issue anymore. The guy who got him drove in from Bremerton and was going to keep him solo in a 125. My other trimac just does not have the same attitude but the decision is made and I will put my efforts into the one left to make him the best looking fish I can.

…His new Casa

Attachments

• CA3F14ED-0F39-4DE1-AFFC-05AC9FFBD951.jpeg
    CA3F14ED-0F39-4DE1-AFFC-05AC9FFBD951.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 9
  • D0B79F3B-6B24-4BE6-8174-E165FC8DF1CD.jpeg
    D0B79F3B-6B24-4BE6-8174-E165FC8DF1CD.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 9
  • A8DF42D6-6B46-46A0-BADF-1E4E74ED43EC.jpeg
    A8DF42D6-6B46-46A0-BADF-1E4E74ED43EC.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Dmd, any updates on your keeper?
Haven’t taken pics in a while. Kind of looking the same. A little red coming in and it sports the stripes a lot still. Personality is better, not as skittish and will flare at me. Ive been shooting for a slow and steady growth rate for a long life span as opposed to power feeding or even power water changes. Kind of same thing Im doing with my Oscar and even the Pearsei in the 300. Im wanting over 10 year life spans on all the fish and am trying to do this by doing a slower growth rate to full growth. Weird theory? lol

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, I think that’s a good approach. Slow and steady. In the amph. keeper community I’ve noticed the one that powerfeed typically have obese fish where their eyes look sunken into their fat in their cheeks. I’ve also seen countless times when people lose massive fish after 3-4 years after power feeding them to grow fast. It had to be hard on their organs is my theory.
Haven’t taken pics in a while. Kind of looking the same. A little red coming in and it sports the stripes a lot still. Personality is better, not as skittish and will flare at me. Ive been shooting for a slow and steady growth rate for a long life span as opposed to power feeding or even power water changes. Kind of same thing Im doing with my Oscar and even the Pearsei in the 300. Im wanting over 10 year life spans on all the fish and am trying to do this by doing a slower growth rate to full growth. Weird theory? lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, I think that’s a good approach. Slow and steady. In the amph. keeper community I’ve noticed the one that powerfeed typically have obese fish where their eyes look sunken into their fat in their cheeks. I’ve also seen countless times when people lose massive fish after 3-4 years after power feeding them to grow fast. It had to be hard on their organs is my theory.
Yeah, I feel like my old Pearsei Porkchop was pushed to fast to grow and she passed a couple years too early. Im watching my feeding with the new pearsei Kirby to make sure he is not being overfed in an attempt to grow him out quickly. I do miss the big 16” pearsei in the tank but the fish will get there but this time hopefully hit 12 years plus.

As I watch the growth on the trimac and Oscar, I feel like its a good pace for fish being fed once a day and water changed one to two times a week. Not these 1” plus a month growth rates but more likely about 3/8” to 1/2” a month.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...Im wanting over 10 year life spans on all the fish and am trying to do this by doing a slower growth rate to full growth. Weird theory?...
Not at all. There is a large and varied scientific literature that demonstrates that growth rate and lifespan are inversely correlated. This includes all kinds of creatures, from experimentally tractable 'model organisms' like Caenorhabditis and Drosophila, to fishes and mammals. And we're not talking about pathological states that can be induced by under- or overfeeding (starvation and obesity, respectively), but about animals whose diets reside within their 'normal' ranges of caloric intake. Of course, there are many other ways to influence growth rate, e. g. ambient temperature for ectothermic animals, and these too have the predicted effects on lifespan.