Roy's 30 Gallon Red Spot Green Discus F1

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Stunning discus! Can't wait to see yours once they grow up as living proof that you can keep discus with plants! :p

I'm curious about one thing, though. Since you're so careful about adding the appropriate mineral salts to this tank, I'm surprised that you're not measuring them out by weight, not by volume. This may just be the (former) scientist in me talking, but that is obviously the most accurate way of determining concentrations. Perhaps an estimate is close enough?

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

2020-08-31
Today (Monday) I did a 12 gallon water change (50%) and added 3/8 tsp of CaSO4 for 2.98 ppm of Ca (hardness increase approx 0.42 dGH); 3/16 tsp of MgSO4*7H2O for 1.04 ppm of Mg (hardness increase 0.24 dGH); 3/16 tsp of K2SO4 for 5.93 ppm of K. I also added 15 ml of Excel/glut for algae prevention. All fish are active and eating well. They have finished off the three (3) portions of live adult brine shrimp I bought on Saturday with some help from the Turquoise Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris) that I am conditioning to breed. I try to feed at least one portion of dry food (FD tubifex, Krill flakes, Extreme pellets) and one portion of frozen or live food per day. I have a white worm (Enchytraeus albidus) culture that is not quite ready to harvest yet but I will add them to the food rotation in the future.

2020-09-01
Dosed 4.5 ml of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive for plant micro-nutrients and 3/64 tsp KH2PO4 (2.0 ppm of PO4; 0.66 ppm P; 0.8 ppm K) for GSA

2020-09-03
Today (Thursday) I did a 9 gallon water change (37%), added + 3/4 tsp CaSO4 (6 ppm Ca / 0.8 dGH); 3/8 tsp MgSO4 (2.08 ppm Mg / 0.48 dGH); 3/8 tsp K2SO4 (11.83 ppm K); 3/64 tsp KH2PO4 (2.0 ppm of PO4; 0.66 ppm P; 0.8 ppm K) for GSA. I did a light gravel vac in the front of the tank and siphoned any detritus on the rest of the substrate. It was time to clean the canister filter so I rinsed all the bio-balls and Purigen in tank water as well as one of the two sponges in the filter. The other sponge got thoroughly cleaned in tap water. I replaced the filter floss and started the filter. Here are some pictures I took today.

The full tank shot
ACtC-3fc_HJUg-RALh6nzJoHJsE9XCtBOx6HlGs-4ist700XF8P8N03p-hltq2AAAvs16Q0u8fErUIwo47wawdtpuvHFVB8jbdENITi3rujddQkI4peE-DPJqz6ZOpf5myqZEMwg7K80CMSTCPaG-eikxCdD=w1280-h693-no

Time to rethink some of the plant species. The Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum'. Limnophila rugosa, and the Erio 'Vietnam' don't seem to like the conditions necessary for the discus. I will have to try some different species. On the other had the Myriophyllum sp. 'Guyana', Oldenlandia salzmannii, Ludwigia arcuata, and Ludwigia sp 'Red' seem to be doing well. I have a couple of other species I want to try maybe I can do some changes this weekend.
ACtC-3fqAq-MrPa3loor5r1yL4jGlCt7GNFdGsX_iE1zLzXpFYOkYyfUX_RU-FaJmKx2j_zUVN6bBj3lEfa5LEIAmnPI58FzYnfqrvLY601fDznZMwUfJKjfTL9yJHpM-9ZvGm9jfplc9W34vASlj68xfpKp=w1194-h895-no

ACtC-3fgdSyB9bV7rdIQs9sEKjJImePeZcwk5Us2l--EioQqOyEcPwliTfiI0la55Teps_R9TCghOyemCb0NjnzCKVRlwjxYxkC1Za_OyEQgrzbGrRPvfJcBfPVLCoT_8hDF9NQABi1ncXQoTWK6bfKdDjfh=w1194-h895-no

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

2020-09-07
Yesterday was water change day. I did a 50% water change and took the opportunity to make some of the plant species changes I mentioned earlier. I removed the sad Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum' which had very little root system and they went into the compost pile. I removed all but one of the Limnophila rugosa which had good root systems but poor growth and I moved them to my 75 gallon. The Ludwigia sp 'Red' (which to me doesn't look like L. sp 'Red') was cut down to remove the emersed growth at the bottom and replanted just the submerged growth tops; the stems all had a good root systems. I dug around in my tanks and plant bank and added a couple of Nymphoides hydrophylla (aka sp. 'Taiwan'), some Rotala H'ra (aka 'Vietnam'), and a couple of stems of Limnophila sp. 'Wavy'. Here a picture showing the new layout and trial species.

ACtC-3duw2M6Et2EJK6_7pSSnWJqSGqcn1cI49bwgsUfitkId3bvLN40AFRWdvTIxvWdBvHs2f01r-5P8SHseu_Gz4mE7wmdIzXixg7s949DThkZhahw3rl44dPAf4PEDq4-v5GrxRia4H7cGwvXCHw33rdm=w1280-h781-no

1) Nymphoides hydrophylla (aka sp 'Taiwan') hiding behind the 'Trident'
2) Rotala H'ra (aka 'Vietnam')
3) Limnophila sp. 'Wavy'

Here are a better shots of the three species I added. First Nymphoides hydrophylla
ACtC-3fQ0LHakd5V5iFIV6JC7Jr21oC3fs2ehAKvLfg5rOKqHIzUY5s3EzRDKxgKQS9QOLHZM_OuvNekAK6_nEW7ow-ocA1wmQgbdXOFLZE3zeVrvMyc_z0UGBfjynQWa14ZR36-nAAuSw6Ugdj44w8Cljyc=w1280-h783-no

Next Rotala H'ra
ACtC-3fYPdYQ6djdFOreeJ7HJldhRgnrk83wxXfUh-Fwrv0CxAmIyTGwrKd6upZe2OmjGYAAbzN712cG4F4OKxYFKdow4t1Z2DowpA7ousYnn8Ve2dEdvaHjakrwMseN4HSJHWBY1apcEzCN8GZrWT2qjVGc=w1194-h895-no

Lastly Limnophila sp. 'Wavy'
ACtC-3dp8HTSA0IYCdmMTJRLq4ax2BOf_v3_TVj9E2Ae3H2FAz4FLDYwANXUSsEfWkNCo6GMs7j23ragefSKCi6vUUdIsNZ0a9EeJ5gXH5hiQH4hrSXMe_yjKQtDlxQIqLFCpBoGXYGH5G428X8T5FawQzt7=w1280-h794-no

I also took a full set of water parameter readings after the water change and plant changes; here are the results:
pH = 6.8
dKH = 2.0
dGH = 4.0
Ca = 20 ppm
Mg = 5.23 ppm
NH3 = 0.25 ppm (possibly from disturbing the substrate?)
NO2 = 0.00 ppm
NO3 = 10.0 ppm

The fish are eating three meals a day consisting of frozen bloodworms, frozen adult brine shrimp, frozen adult brine shrimp with spirulina algae, freeze-dried tubifex worms. The discus are not really interested in Fluval Bug Bites, Extreme Krill Flakes, or Extreme Pellets. My live white worm culture has grown large enough that I should be able to add that sparingly to the food rotation.

Have a great week everyone! -Roy

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

2020-09-10
Today I did a 9 gallon water change and did a light vac at the front of the tank. Added 1/2 tsp CaSO4 (3.97 ppm Ca / +0.56 dGH); 1/4 tsp MgSO4 (1.38 ppm Mg / +0.32 dGH); 1/4 tsp K2SO4 (7.9 ppm K); 1/32 tsp KH2PO4 (1.34 ppm of PO4; 0.44 ppm P; 0.55 ppm K for GSA. All the discus are eating well and seem to be establishing a comfortable pecking order.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

I apologize for being a little late in my posting this week. I am on the Board of our local aquarium club, Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (gsas.org) and we had a board meeting last night that I had to prepare for. I did do my water change as scheduled on Monday.

2020-09-14
Today was the big water change of about 50% or 12 gallons. After the water change I took readings and these are the results.
I also took a full set of water parameter readings after the water change and plant changes; here are the results:
pH = 6.4
dKH = 2.0
dGH = 4.0
Ca = 20 ppm
Mg = 5.23 ppm
NH3 = 0.00 ppm (possibly from disturbing the substrate?)
NO2 = 0.00 ppm
NO3 = 10.0 ppm

The ammonia came down from 0.25 ppm last week to 0.00 this week which kind of confirms that changing the plants and disturbing the substrate caused the slight increase in NH3 that we saw. Because we have hit my target dGH and Ca and Mg levels I did not add any calcium sulfate (CaSO4*2H2O) or magnesium sulfate (MgSO4*7H2O) for the plants. The fish are doing fine and still eating like swimming pigs although they seem to feel entitled and only eat frozen bloodworms, live adult brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, and FD tubifex worms. They turn their noses up at krill flakes and Fluval Bug Bites, any suggestions as to how to encourage them to eat other foods would be appreciated.

Here are some pictures from Monday; first the overall tank shot.
ACtC-3evCUDBnQBP9w5CBxuoBRThBgggP0tkIb_1gooH-WC12WGieHbKjQfLBgi1WIKm3yZff2we9e9VynkwhW-NhQxPb2yDenc2VR2_IWcbaXdlC9nqK8AUUx3JLbaVA-aohYHzQeT5nJx3p8dLciSJyxlZ=w1280-h747-no

The Rotala H'ra (aka 'Vietnam') is doing as expected. With the low nutrient levels in the water column the Rotala has taken off, can you see all the new stems starting to emerged along the original stems?
ACtC-3egmMbhmmJ3m9XZUVrH8RvmFzJ5PI8GCo-WFjzir2fyeOP-hzIEjhx4DUOL982te2_SmDO0pimBXnXsD9dTJkSa3gKHdI_0ofJGnEymsXjlRBYQGfp9VbWLHJz0X9Ta75MDsdUzgo-65khkcWatF2fR=w1009-h890-no

The Myriophyllum sp. Guyana is starting to branch at the top of the stems; the Oldenlandia salzmannii continues to grow toward the surface and will need trimming soon. And on the far right the Hygrophylla arcuata continues to grow slowly. Regrettably the Eriocaulon 'Vietnam' in the foreground continues to just sit there. It will be moved to another tank in the near future.
ACtC-3dAFwT7JG2nypshtFWCQsVQ_t_WeQYkMUInAonrftwQ5WVjFdYMvVgtHK-TKVqPxo90YYVK3Y_vi9GarKJHMJZFduNcITrUtLd89Fm3Y1PVcBs_lh3kT-Z2qmBxZsMU1FLmHiboHUmKWSewOj56yCNh=w623-h890-no

They Limnophila sp 'Curly' that was added last week is also growing nicely.
ACtC-3c9E3K1A5K7EM7lHZpm-O_Z_Law34rQ4KondcdDV1Nv7yKwJ9CCJwhxzsnWAigQ7E1PGSh3Kw8X7EQ3OkZ70w__NTDcS2gi1ELnUco30Uk295GomtfHmrsL1fZq70lBQjsh4tfZIs939GWFnOcmFUlc=w1027-h890-no

Just like the Oldenlandia salzmannii the Ludwigia sp 'Red' (*doubtful this is correct identification) is growing to the surface, this is after I removed the original emerged growth from bottom of the stems last week.
ACtC-3cx950JU_Eciz2PZtn5CUktLIjGdmPakz9rWohw_3xVkoLEZI-ABe16fuA0TESWXesTJPIKAX9AVNYmBQUmei_FCiQvj0bEeMxS_3BeSY6gYTsnGh4JlByVkzM4TzeDM8wFYYQBLxBlmlXPWwVGJDNf=w668-h890-no

And a partial 'Family Portrait'
ACtC-3eV784mV_Qmwj3NYWF5IaTd2_clBbJ8ujx_ozpCfXk_aCXv5KQUyfgjVTiJ_ZcWX0M73pt31gxMm2uxuPBPs1Onc0dsZZppMfjzEdxgQhdNco-2R9ys6Xs4DtUCvuQhqcsOjZ-dlv345irjJ_c-1ICL=w1216-h890-no

Lastly, for [MENTION=75210]Shan[/MENTION]_Evolved a video of the fish eating FD Tubifex Worms

Last edited:

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

2020-09-28
Another 9 gallon water change today. I siphoned up about 1/4" of the sand substrate at the front of the tank because it was showing little specks of algae and looking "dirty" and replaced it with fresh sand. The fish continue to eat and grow; today I gave them live white worms (Enchytraeus albidus) for the first time. The plants continue to grow including the Rotala H'ra, Ludwigia sp 'Red' (NOT), and the Ludwigia arcuata is looking taller as is the Limnophila sp 'Wavy'.
ACtC-3cOU0nOi2T_SvvBSWR0US5jQMjSvkIb1fCRoRk355DjmA9nPdBm8XGMhrHsAqMyjovNhQ1dp1dPazjgONg7ZpgoyzFffGtqmtdyyNGy1ePNSwCJwc4k3qdjc3yHSQXqYLQVQF4nLTpubsRDswYmWfKd=w1280-h705-no

Notice the watersprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) growing behind the Microsporum pteropus 'Windelov' (java fern); Ceratopteris are great plants for absorbing nitrates and ammonia.
ACtC-3c7NX5s1WpaVBU_ZXnsDBr9SkeSfgVKjRQU5TiqEOWKs0BRUXvfKkdeb27H2DDCSuBr9Lmzr6hcn9bhFTdBYhBCYM8JchLCd0dIH5GGnC-o0CmYkjY_H_Gxj7YciOWyL5o2B-mqJFS_Zh5-llfP4lAq=w1083-h890-no

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

2020-10-12
It's been a few weeks since my last update. The fish are doing fine, eating well (too well?), water changes continue two to three times per week and the plants have been growing. Here is how overgrown the plants looked two weeks ago just before I did a trim and split some of the species to additional locations in the tank.
ACtC-3dUBfjCjYOT3S-V-ZvX6cBtZ9iaeDQS2ke4Q-6OGo7jH27n2M9JQoyk3vTG9yFtLycRx3hiLQqF4XWI7xFjveZqvih2kO52q-OE5EMC9W0OABxqmOw51p1uWS2QjP8DYfrY_J3WpnoT60Kiugogu9yt=w1280-h596-no

The last two weeks I've been helping my son-in-law build a 15' X 9' frame shed and although the water changes have continued on schedule my ferts went by the wayside. Today I did my 'big' weekly water change, about 60%, and took water parameter readings:
pH = 6.4
dKH = 2.0
dGH = 1.0
Ca = 10 ppm
Mg = 0.00 ppm
NH3 = 0.00 ppm
NO2 = 0.00 ppm
NO3 = 10.0 ppm

Even without ferts being added the plants continued to grow, the cuttings I planted two weeks ago are starting to reach the top of the tank (again) and other are starting to show up from behind the Microsorum pteropus (java fern) 'Windelov'. The Erio 'Vietnam' continues to suffer so I put two (2) beads of Osmocote Plus in the root zone of the three plants on the left to see if they respond. In addition I added some small pieces of Seachem Root Tabs in the substrate near the Cryptocoryne. I noticed some diatom (brown algae) growth about a month ago. I purchased two (2) Otocinclus affinis at the local aquarium shop and quarantined them for a month. I added them today. Here is a picture of the tank taken this morning.
ACtC-3dY6Qps95uQ1rtS5wESsZEaWa1GzI90YzLuzrXHaelNet1m8Xqj_yD3AJL0Yt9P1RG_1EekNLdqnU80YQ6P18f94TA-cvKov1VU_muvFb0qbdlZKsOnpuOmDliIdnaWcaMfzyjaw64Vu81cEC5fDqP_=w1280-h613-no

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Looking good! I was wondering where all the updates were! :)

What kind of lighting do you use for a tank that is planted like this?

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi @sir-keith,

That is a 30 gallon long (36.25" x 12.625" x 16.75") and I am using a Fluval 2.0 on it. I am not running it at full output; it is currently set to provide PAR@50 at the substrate level.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Hi @sir-keith,

That is a 30 gallon long (36.25" x 12.625" x 16.75") and I am using a Fluval 2.0 on it. I am not running it at full output; it is currently set to provide PAR@50 at the substrate level.
Interesting, I have the Beamswork 6500K lights turned down to 20% on most of my tanks, and that seems like plenty of light for my Anubias (as well as a bit of algae). I have no idea what PAR that represents.

What are your plans for the discus once they get near full-size? I wouldn't have thought that a 30L would be nearly big enough.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi @sir-keith,

You are absolutely correct, the 30L will not be large enough for seven discus. They will be moving to my 75 gallon in a few weeks. -Roy

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi @sir-keith,

Absolutely, basically I am doing the 30 gallon grow out tank to see what plant species will hopefully so well in 75 gallon.
-Roy

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

It was pointed out to me that I had not posted an update lately, I apologize. For the last six weeks my son-in-law and I are building a frame 10' X 16' X 12' high shed (from scratch not a kit) in his backyard. It has 4 windows, 2 doors, and lighting with outlets (I think it is a man-cave to hide from my daughter - lol). Truthfully, I have been too tired to do anything but feed my tanks and do water changes.....70 year olds should not have to work this hard! lol

2020-11-04
Anyway, the fish are doing well. Growing, and feeling more and more comfortable in their tank. They get live adult brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, FD Tubifex worms, and live white worms. They are starting to show some color as well. I added some Cardinal Tetras to the tank as 'dither fish' which seems to be working. The tetras were not from Petsmart or Petco but from a LFS that quarantines and treats all of their fish with Mardel Maracyn, Fritz Paracleanse, and Aquarium Solutions Ich X for one week prior to the fish going into the retail store (don't you wish your LFS did that?).

Here is one of the juvies starting to show some color
ACtC-3cH-QYIissiM6o7bL5TrX1u9oZOmhSeL_ttNGTCE7tv46z45-GtIpCLx6nT6RhYRkM71eo3VXsZ3YU9bRmwq26tY-SS23gcQtcj-eFyuEmdufz-gsGptxkj0pPtNgfjPjN6DODtuxojMZUZuouAN7WH=w711-h889-no

And here is a tank shot from this evening showing some of the discus and the Cardinals. The plants will be trimmed and taken to a LFS for store credit later this week.
ACtC-3dpepMSg256EP-qe2HJO3a27avs4F1cNuxF-Do9Zb7GTNA5oPzBsqL9eTwctqNVlP9fge2oR1bZDL0N2XnVAHtThsFdwAzd-3ysStcQIzJAwyPs1F0nWDckTQj-AWAxxDjvDWnm5NoOk72dIjMVVVvH=w1280-h740-no

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

I hope all of you are well and safe.

It's been three (3) weeks since my last update and no, I didn't fall of the roof of the shed my son-in-law and I are building (I let him to all the roof work, I just handed him material). The seven (7) F1 RSGD are doing well, growing like weeds, and very healthy! Three weeks ago I took the plants to the LFS as I said I would, there where about 8 bunches total of Rotala, Ludwigia, and Oldenlandia for which I got store credit. Today I did my second canister cleaning since setting up the tank (about every 8 weeks with a Marineland Magniflow 220). I replaced the Purigen bag with a recharged & neutralized bag, rinsed the sponges and bio-balls in tank water, and replaced the filter floss. I do everything I can to minimize the possibility of a 'mini-cycle' occurring. Tomorrow is water change day and I will take some water parameter readings at that time.

ACtC-3d1QxY89t9fX6ZtAN_pNld7ptEE1a4HrstIWlsZo8cKlIunWxv9PjGai6juJpg-BJkPznXCaoECjOXWMLySWYmTnf6av85VwPimzeCFKRoH3DoZzpAjxSRTS9LP-Zd-NXhNz45DlP0fHdfQXoZtIPCI=w1280-h769-no

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Man, I enjoy your updates! I’ve never kept discuss ( they honestly intimidate me) so I’ll enjoy them from afar!

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi @lloyd378

You are not alone! However, after doing this for almost 4 months I can say that they are all that difficult. Like any species start with good, healthy stock, maintain good water quality, feed 2-3 times per day but just enough so it is cleaned up in five minutes. Doing the two or three 33% water changes weekly is about the only difference along with maintaining the higher temperature. It helps that I am retired and have the extra time for maintenance.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome to know.... I think when I finally downsize my tanks from 10 to like 5 or 6, I could maintain those parameters... that, or if we go on lockdown again and I’m working from home.
Thanks again for the experience and info, and please keep posting updates. Your discuss are beautiful.