Redo times two

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been wanting to redo two of my tanks for a while now. Not happy with the aquascape so going to do a redo.

Tanks that are getting redone are a 65B and a 30g.

Tank 1 the 65B (Current occupant an arrowhead puffer. Equipment: Aquaclear 110, Fluval e series 300w)
IMG_20200726_151033634.jpg The reason for the redo? See the red circles? This is pretty much the occupant all the time until feeding
IMG_20200726_164039866.jpg The bury and wait for prey behavior is really cool but makes for some boring tank time. The tank is also overkill for a solo little puffer so he will get moved into the other project tank.

Tank 2, a 36" 30 gallon tank (Current occupants: 4 bristlenose plecos, 1 raphael cat. Equipment: Aquaclear 70, Catalina titanium 200w)
IMG_20200726_150835634.jpg

The sand in the 65B is CaribSea River of Doubt, a fine black and white mix. This will get moved into the 30g along with the Mopani piece. Not sure what else to do in that tank.

The 65B is a bit of a blank slate, hoping to move the spiderwood into the 65B but no idea as to substrate or decor yet...

This goes into the 65B
IMG_20200323_145342676.jpg
Will update the changes

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This is kind of an overkill thing but Im thinking to upgrade the AQ70 to an AQ110... on the 30 gallon tank, lol. This way all filters would be same in the fishroom. While intake tube is the same for the 70 and 110, they do use different sponges, impeller, etc. I keep spare parts on hand so this would also make for a more uniform spare part situation.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Do it. No such thing as overkill with filtration, and it is nice to have all the same filters in the fishroom.
That was my thought too. The 300 uses Fluval FX6's x3 with a FX5 in reserve as a back up in case something goes wrong. The garage tanks all have the Aquaclear 110 except the 30g that has the AQ70. I would keep the 70 as an emergency filter.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I pretty much do the same thing: except for a few backups from days past, all the HOB's are AC110's, all of the regular canisters are Eheim Classic 2217's, and the big canisters are Fluval FX-6's. These are my favorite filters anyway, so why fuss with anything else? I could probably use another Eheim 2217 or two; waiting for a deal...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got my shipping notice on the sand for the 65B, looks like August 6 for that. Nothing really prevents me from moving the puffer. The stuff in the 65B will go into the 30 so no problem there. The 65B would be bare bottom for a bit but the fish already have that so they wouldnt mind getting moved to a bigger tank. Just have to find time with all the summertime projects going on.

FishBeast

I am in awe at how clean you keep your tanks! By the way how is the wood attached to the rock? Is it siliconed or screwed in?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am in awe at how clean you keep your tanks! By the way how is the wood attached to the rock? Is it siliconed or screwed in?
I drilled out the slate with my hammer drill and then used stainless screws to secure the wood.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got my 40lbs of Peace river sand but am thinking to add a bit of black to it like I did in my 300. With that I mixed in some African cichlid sand that helps maintain a higher PH. I did not add that much to the 300 so it didnt effect it dramatically just kind of counteracts the driftwood and the tendency to have PH drops. Im thinking to use the same product or maybe just some of the coal slag blasting stuff.... Not sure yet.

Went ahead and ordered another AC110 to swap out the 70. I thought I was going to love this 30 gallon but not so much. I think I should have done the 38 gallon taller tank. Or the other choice is that I really want another breeder tank there, but not a 40B but maybe the 50B or a Fluval Flex 32. If stimulus money comes in then maybe a change out of this 30g.

No pics to update, just trying to keep tanks clean in the meantime.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Went to tractor supply today and bought a bag of the black diamond blasting sand. This stuff was cheap at $9 for a 50lb bag. Im going to clean some up and see what it looks like. Might mix with the puffers sand or the peace river sand.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been busy at work so I am tired when I get home which means not a whole going on with this. I did get in the AC110 for the 30g. And also have the black diamond blasting sand. Will have to experiment to see how it mixes with other substrate. Was thinking of trying it just by itself too. Ive never done 100% black sand before but have liked the look.

Betty

Staff member
I love the look of black sand. Have used blasting sand and Tahitian Moon sand.
It did affect the way my fish looked. Some were darker which was nice for some species. It also seemed like it absorbed the light I was using, so I changed out the fixture to a brighter one.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @Betty for the info on the sand.

Im still deciding if I will use the black 100% or mix more black into the CaribSea River of Doubt that the puffer already uses or mix it into the CaribSea Peace River, lol, too many choices!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Did the filter change in the 30g. The AC70 looks tiny compared to the AC110. Way overkill on filtration but now my filter parts all make sense, no oddball solo filter.
IMG_20200809_085500391.jpg
Thats a lot of filter! lol IMG_20200809_085421646.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not one of the tanks involved but got this mopani for my trimac 75 gallon
F50049AB-167F-49FE-B192-5455CD13997D.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been slow to get back to this with me being back at work full time. What I thought would be overkill with the AC110 on a 30 gallon has been just fine. The current really is no different than the AC70. I really do need to move sand and the puffer still but want to do it right and quick so the puffer is not stressed. This tank redo may go much further with a 75g that I want to also rescape. Not liking the gravel in it or the decor in general. So likely more changes in store.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Weekend goal to get puffer moved. Had forgotten about the heater in the 65B. I had cut away the guard for better temperature control. This skeleton heater guard is not good for the catfish and plecos going in there so I am switching out the guard from another heater. This is one of the first steps to getting occupants of both tanks switched over.

Then its time to remove all the sand out of the 65 and put some in the 30. New sand for the 65 and almost done.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ITS ALL WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS... LOL

So its update and picture time!

Had to remove sand from the 65
IMG_2 MOVE.jpg
Moved out the 30 gallon occupants
IMG_9.2 MOVE.jpg Got sand and puffer into the 30
IMG_3 MOVE.jpg He was not happy and explored for a bit
IMG_4 MOVE.jpg IMG_5 MOVE.jpg Apparently content
IMG_7 MOVE.jpg Buries himself in this full tank shot.
IMG_6 MOVE.jpg Still need to finish the scape with some more rock work and plants... plastic ones, lol