RC Helicopters...and Other RC Related Stuff!

Really?? Nobody following this thread wants a deal on a nifty little quad copter?? Thought SOMEBODY would jump on this...:( Well I figured it more apropos to bump my copter thread here. Seeing as how it's not Fish related. If nobody wants it I'll go ahead and throw it on craigslist before the weekend. If somehow you are unsure of what I'm speaking about check the for-sale forum for quad copter.

TFP
2534593665(text Aaron)

pbmax

Honestly, I read your post, I even researched the heli.  If I lived closer to you I might have gone for it. :) 

I try to keep up to speed on this stuff, but I didn't know they had one even smaller than the hubsan x4.  It's a neat little heliquad, for sure.

I -WISH- I had the money to buy that quad from ya. Mmmm.. it'd be my first quad ever. :)
Alas... I don't have the funds, and I live too far. Boo. :(

Got a new toy today, Horizon Hobby's newest nano quad copter, the Nano QX 3D.
This is my first quad, and it was pretty easy to learn how to fly, since I've had some experience with the Blade mcx2 heli.

I can't wait to start learning more about quads and being able to fly bigger ones! :D

(Lego dude for size reference)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 51

jrygel

Oh, I know this post is old, but it's new to me! My boys and I have tons of fun with an Axial SCX10. It's currently on the workbench with a twisted main driveshaft, but that's the most major damage its seen after a year of hard driving mostly done by 5 and 9 year boys. I'd love to get something faster, but the SCX10 is tons of fun to take crawling on the forest trail in our neighborhood, where something that did 20+ mph just wouldn't work (at least not after it ran into it's first tree), and it can climb over just about anything. Also, after all the upgrades to my tank this year (CO2 and Neptune Apex) and the planned upgrade of the tank itself to a 48g rimless next year, there isn't any money left over for other 'toys'. That reminds me though, I need to order the parts of the SCX10. Never put too much thought into leaving the ground with RC - it's too much work to find a place to fly a plane and my brother-in-law has a Blade 450 heli and I know how much he spends on fixing it . . .

That mini quad looks like fun! My in-laws got RC UFOs from Costco for the boys for Christmas (basically a cheap mini coax heli with a cage around it), and my 9 year old is a better pilot than I am now.

-Justin

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Like Paintguy I was a body painter too for RC trucks. I had fun but there wasn't any money in the area for it so I quit :(

And this one I still have hanging in my fish/cat room

Paintguy

yea... with the time I put into a top, I would make way less than minimum wage. No $ in it unless you were the first guy to master true fire... that guy made a killing on ebay. Now with the pre painted tops or wraps the airbrush is becoming a lost art form.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I was airbrushing mine as well. The green one took me about 8 hours to do with cutting, masking, painting, sanding and sticker lay out. Mine were solid plastics and not precut so I bought a hot knife and cut and sanded the edges as well. I really enjoyed the work.

It's a shame that, that has become a lost artform. Those are some really nice looking paint jobs, ShortyKiloGyrl! I also remember Paintguy mentioning that, that's how he got his fishbox name, from doing paint jobs for cars.

I really wish that hobby came back and people appreciated the amount of work it takes to make something unique.

tazeat

I did my own body a couple times but I haven't touched my cars in years. Used to race at trcr in Tacoma years ago

So, I saw this video of someone modifying their quad copter into a Millennium Falcon, and thought "wow, that thing is awesome. I want to do that too!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRtXd1eiH-s

Then I realized that I didn't know how to make a Millennium Falcon, even out of paper (and yes I tried looking for paper crafts, where you print out the templates then assemble it...too much work) so I thought, "Maybe I'll just do an X-Wing" . . . so I did. And here it is. lol it looks so ghetto. I need to find an R2D2 lego thing, and pop its head off, and glue it onto my quad copter to make it look more legit. Maybe when I fine tune and tweak a couple other things, I'll work on making it look more like an X-Wing... Maybe. Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe.

Here are a couple test flights. I was really nervous trying to get this thing in the air. Hence the jerky movements. Hopefully when I get better at controlling quads, I'll be able to actually fly it normally. But for now, I just tried focusing on hovering and trying to rotate it mid-air (Yeah that was a fail on my half).
http://youtu.be/r3kwcLDXhU8
http://youtu.be/1J6vjyiOhk4

Attachments

• IMG_8880.JPG
    IMG_8880.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8884.JPG
    IMG_8884.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8886.JPG
    IMG_8886.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17