Rainbow Hi-Fin Wolf Fish a.k.a. Mr. Derp

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
His snuggie? lol. That would be awesome! A little something he feels comfortable with will be good for the transition.

FishBeast

His snuggie? lol. That would be awesome! A little something he feels comfortable with will be good for the transition.
Like a puppy hahaha!
It's a PVC elbow. He had one that he used for about a year and then outgrew it!
I'm sure you'll be able to have him "move" to a more natural hideout if you prefer.

FishBeast

Update on the wolf... recently moved him to his own 75 gallon tank to maintain the cycle since the occupants had vacated. Activity level has increased significantly without the Datnoid looming over him constantly.IMG_1825.jpg IMG_1828.jpg

Stingro

I use to have a black wolf fish. I haven’t been able to find any for the last decade. Where did you get this wolf?

FishBeast

I still have the Wolf. He was supposed to go to someone in Seattle but I noticed a growth on his lower lip. Over the past month or so I had to observe and upon recent evaluation it is growing. He is still eating but seems to have trouble with larger items like bigger worms or silversides (spits them out). I don’t know if the growth is painful.

Anyway I think I’ll try to perform an excisional biopsy. I’ll probably reach out to a biology department to see if they’ll do a pathology report on the tumor. I hope it isn’t cancer but we will see.
31DAC2E6-EF95-44BA-8E6C-6BDC5BD68742.jpeg 4B23A010-07D8-4D53-930C-D1276787848B.jpeg

FishBeast

Hope it is okay. It is a very cool fish! Has to be one of the largest Ive seen on the internet.
Thanks! I’m happy about how big and beefy it got. Still active even as an adult but only when feeding. The rest of the time he floats like a :poo with his dorsal fin sticking out of the water

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lol, was wondering about the activity level. Always was active in your videos, now I see why. Kind of like my puffers then. Well at least like my hairy puffer. It sees me as the food giver and is active when I am in front of the tank. Nothing wrong with that.

Im not ruling out getting a rainbow/red wolf in the future and have seen many say a 40B is sufficient. What are your thoughts on that? I would have a taller 65B as its permanent home but still a 36x18 footprint.

FishBeast

lol, was wondering about the activity level. Always was active in your videos, now I see why. Kind of like my puffers then. Well at least like my hairy puffer. It sees me as the food giver and is active when I am in front of the tank. Nothing wrong with that.

Im not ruling out getting a rainbow/red wolf in the future and have seen many say a 40B is sufficient. What are your thoughts on that? I would have a taller 65B as its permanent home but still a 36x18 footprint.
Yes I’d say a 40 breeder is sufficient with good maintenance schedule. They can live in muddy puddles and even breathe air, very tolerant fish!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I’d say a 40 breeder is sufficient with good maintenance schedule. They can live in muddy puddles and even breathe air, very tolerant fish!
Thanks for that info. Maybe one day when I have a free tank.... or get more tanks, lol