Rainbow Hi-Fin Wolf Fish a.k.a. Mr. Derp

FishBeast

Hi guys! Took some pics and video of my Rainbow Hi-Fin Wolf Fish (Erythrinus erythrinus) before he leaves the Q tank. I'll put the videos up in YouTube soon.

This guy is a small member of Erythrinidae, related to the fearsome Hoplias malabaricus and also the legendary massive Aimara wolves which grow to almost 4 feet. Like his cousins, he is also a predator. I have him eating pellets, tilapia bits and of course he loves worms like many fish!

Also he is almost puppy-like when he begs for food. He has such a derpy face that makes him all the more adorable!
IMG_2854.JPG

LOOKIT THAT DERPY CUTE FACE!!
FullSizeRender.jpg

The most active of the wolves. Very entertaining!
IMG_2860.JPG

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
BUMP for updates

How is the fish doing? How big is it now? Where has @FishBeast been? lol

Would love to get an update on the wolf. I am looking to maybe get one. Nothing solid, just research and thinking of possible tank to house it.

FishBeast

BUMP for updates

How is the fish doing? How big is it now? Where has @FishBeast been? lol

Would love to get an update on the wolf. I am looking to maybe get one. Nothing solid, just research and thinking of possible tank to house it.
He is a solid, thick 10 inches and getting that wolf underbite. Has become more sedentary and sticks to his side of the tank. Getting along pretty well with the boss (12-13" datnoid) and the polys!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
He is a solid, thick 10 inches and getting that wolf underbite. Has become more sedentary and sticks to his side of the tank. Getting along pretty well with the boss (12-13" datnoid) and the polys!
Considering one for a 65B, solo... lone wolf

FishBeast

Tell us more about them.... I’m interested in getting one too.... give me all of your experiences so far. Goods and bads
They’re pretty cool. I got mine about 4 years ago as a 4 inch juvenile.
Pros: Ancient-looking, durable, easy to feed, fugly adorable, manageable size (9-10” max). Nice pattern and colors especially when younger. Tolerant of wide range of parameters.
Cons: a bit hard to find, will eat smaller fish, can be sedentary, look ugly to some, can be very aggressive and kill other tankmates

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A beefy fancy pleco would probably work. Jaguar cat was left alone. Maybe a full grown and fat Raphael cat?
A guy on MFK was trying it out in a 300g with a jaguar, polys and the red wolf and the wolf was very aggressive to the jaguar and if I remember correctly tore open its softer belly flesh. I think the raphael cat would probably work well since they have some pretty heavy armor.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That thing is a beast!

Should be ready soon.... Waiting on my spiral cord wrap to be able to move the puffer, then I have a tank for it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lol, I just remembered I need to pick up some substrate for that tank. Once I move the puffer, he also needs his sand to bury himself in so there would be nothing in the other tank.

FishBeast

lol, I just remembered I need to pick up some substrate for that tank. Once I move the puffer, he also needs his sand to bury himself in so there would be nothing in the other tank.
I’ll also give you his “comfort cave” which he has slept in the past 2-3 years