Rack Em Up! Garage tank rack project

FishBeast

My project feels like its at a bit of a stand still since Ive been getting over a cold.

Got the wall with two good coats of a semi-gloss paint we had in the garage. So this project has also been good for making extra stuff disappear!

The real challenge with this whole house has been the fact we downsized from over 2000 sq. ft. to half that. We absolutely love our little rambler with our modern remodel, but getting rid of extra stuff has been an ongoing process. This also has included consolidating and getting rid of "extra" fish keeping stuff. Ive already started streamlining filters and will only use Aquaclear 110's and the Fluval FX5/6's on my set ups. This has helped tremendously with just keeping spare parts that are interchangeable. I will actually have an Eheim 2217 canister to sell off now.

Anyway enough of my rants, will try and work some more on it this weekend and post some update pics.
Wall looks good, and those shelves look super sturdy. Don't push yourself too hard! Feel better!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Wall looks good, and those shelves look super sturdy. Don't push yourself too hard! Feel better!
Okay... I guess I cant keep fish if Im dead, lol

I still need to wipe down the 75 and get the top plastic strip cut for the Aquaclear 110 and heater cord. I also need to cut and install background. Im soooooooooo close to being set up yet it feels like its taking forever. Probably because I have fish waiting to be picked up. Thanks again @lloyd378 for your patience!

I did buy another bag of the gravel for the 75
cea5b57d-3ddf-41f7-a69a-e1c1ac8d07c7-jpeg.5293

Using the same background as the 20L
img_20191008_193040671-jpg.5298

Essentially this is the background and the gravel when wet
img_20191008_193700948-jpg.5300

I am soaking this piece of Mopani that will go in the tank too
92dfd3c9-518d-4247-975a-014e4acec010-jpeg.5321

I recycled pics from my 20L set up thread but at least it shows some future plans.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Started edge banding...
1440978F-2CEA-4D46-9DCD-AFCA9319BB47.jpeg
Did a lot of ironing and got 3 shelves done on 3 edges. Ran out of edge so I need to buy another roll. Since I have to buy more I will probably do the 4th (back side) that will go against wall. I am working on all the shelves for two racks at the same time even though I only have the one rack at the moment. Eventually I need to move the 65B out of my wife’s home office. Once the edge band is done then I have to sand it flat. After that its paint time. Not sure if I want to use up some black latex paint I have or just use spray cans... at least I see the end of the project approaching.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Finished edge banding and sanding
8361B1FC-F5EC-4F32-A003-AF61CEF8DE06.jpeg

Had almost a quart of black paint already and decided part of my goal here is to get rid of stuff so I decided to use it up. Got one coat on one side on four pieces. Have enough to coat it all and probably do two coats on all the sides that show. Then another can to throw out! Progress making it all go away.

E1C47CC9-B4C6-47C5-8F17-BD9CCA01FD07.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Flipped boards and painted other side. Now all shelves have one coat of paint. Goal is to use up the rest of the quart of paint and get two coats on the areas seen.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got a second coat of paint on the good sides and letting it dry. Looks okay for just doing it with a roller. Much better than the raw wood. I have just enough paint for any touch ups if I scratch the wood while putting tanks in place.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to order the second rack with the solid wood shelving instead of the grid. The grid does nothing to support the weight of the tank since it is not level to the beams but sits below. Not sure now the board sits but will prefer the look of this for the center rack since it will match the look of the others with the painted plywood shelves.
36d04b6d-1aef-4d72-b3fc-d91193c78e6c.jpg
Im going to attach the racks in a row like this:
home.racks_1920.jpg
My 'middle' rack will just be another shelf and it goes under a window. So there will be tanks on either side of window and the center will be for storage.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Tank got wiped down, adhered handle to glass tops, tested Beamswork light.
IMG_20191128_160754308.jpg
Cut out back strip for Aquaclear and drilled hole for heater cord.
IMG_20191128_163945310.jpg
Need to cut background to fit...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I’m expecting water and filter and all by this weekend... haha no pressure
I could fill it up now but.... I plan on adding more of the racking and want to center the one rack to the window. So I am waiting for the next kit to come in. Then I can get them all situated where they should be.

I really do want to get those midas from you soon. The grow out process with the little fish is fun. I forgot how much I missed that with years of having only big fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got my second Dewalt rack in last night. Ordered online from Sears and delivered to my house. The box was a little beat up so hopefully no damage. This one I ordered with the wood shelves instead of the wire racking.

The 75 gallon at 4 ft on the rack looks cool but can already tell it going to be a bear to service, so I bought a Werner work platform from Lowes. Not bad for being on sale at $24, gotta love the Black Friday sales!
250-lbs-lb-aluminum-work-platform-project-v-4130024686.jpg

Also not sure if I want the 65B that low... I will likely have at least 10" above tank of room to work. I think the tank is 11" off ground. Will have to remeasure it but leaning toward moving self up one notch.

Last edited: