Rack Em Up! Garage tank rack project

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looks really good! I like the planking... Should look nice. You painting them black?
It took some time trying to figure on how to properly support that 75 gallon on top. It would have been fine if I did a 40B up there but I felt the 75g would give me the best results because I could house a grown 12"+ cichlid in it if necessary. Im happy I have a friend with a planer!

I will dress up the edges of the plywood that goes on top and then paint them black.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got a coat of paint on the walls. Im using up some semi-gloss I had sitting around. It needs one more coat and then to the next step in my process.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@whatthebloody, Nice start to your project! Always nice when you can repurpose things for projects.

okay I feel I have to post pics... even though they are lame

Wall where tank will go, lol. You can see my shelves above with totes of fish stuff. All braces are in studs every 16” so it can hold a lot of weight if needed.
967F361D-3581-4012-AC67-3FF021507A39.jpeg 26E3C132-F00E-4EB4-9619-BDE1F1D15F53.jpeg

whatthebloody

Looks like you have the "do it right the first time" mindset for that space. All the small things are gonna add such a nice touch. Im in a similar situation. Get to do the garage my way

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Looks awesome! Lots of space too.

I managed to get a second coat of paint on my wall and it looks pretty good. Now I can at least move the rack in place and start working on the plywood shelves.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My project feels like its at a bit of a stand still since Ive been getting over a cold.

Got the wall with two good coats of a semi-gloss paint we had in the garage. So this project has also been good for making extra stuff disappear!

The real challenge with this whole house has been the fact we downsized from over 2000 sq. ft. to half that. We absolutely love our little rambler with our modern remodel, but getting rid of extra stuff has been an ongoing process. This also has included consolidating and getting rid of "extra" fish keeping stuff. Ive already started streamlining filters and will only use Aquaclear 110's and the Fluval FX5/6's on my set ups. This has helped tremendously with just keeping spare parts that are interchangeable. I will actually have an Eheim 2217 canister to sell off now.

Anyway enough of my rants, will try and work some more on it this weekend and post some update pics.