Problems with Canister filter

anderson_p_r

I found two more O rings in the port for the valve actuators, bottom left and right assemblies in the areas pointing at the middle lever.

anderson_p_r

Talk about frustrating.  Still leaking in air.  I'm going to try to rebuild the other valve block and see if using a touch more silicone will help....

A

Anonymous

Looks like from the pictures you could also epoxy those solid. That'll take care of those leaky seals ;)

pbmax

anderson_p_r said:
 I'm going to try to rebuild the other valve block and see if using a touch more silicone will help....
Don't be shy with the silicone - it's cheap and the more the merrier.  :cheers: 

anderson_p_r

So I rebuilt the other one with all new o rings and a healthy amount of silicone....no change...still draws in air. I'm stumped. Just going to have to wait for Marineland to get back to me I think. This is really bizarre.

anderson_p_r

Ok, I siliconed the bejesus out of one valve block. So much silicone that when the joints are pushed together it squeezes out, aka way more than should be necessary, and it still sucks in air. I wonder if it's something else, but I don't really know.

anderson_p_r

I expect to hear from them early next week. I actually just finished rebuilding the second power head and it's been running a good couple minutes no bubbles. I rebuilt the priming pump differently on this one, makes me wonder if it was the problem all along. For now I'm happy to think I have a victory on my hands and will call it a night. Tomorrow I'll try giving the other power head the same treatment and see what I get.

anderson_p_r

Came into my shop this morning and the filter was still running smooth and silent. Hurrah! I'll tackle the other motor head now and take some pics of the offending piece.

Seattle_Aquarist

anderson_p_r said:
I expect to hear from them early next week. I actually just finished rebuilding the second power head and it's been running a good couple minutes no bubbles. I rebuilt the priming pump differently on this one, makes me wonder if it was the problem all along. For now I'm happy to think I have a victory on my hands and will call it a night. Tomorrow I'll try giving the other power head the same treatment and see what I get.
Hi anderson_p_r,

Problems in the area of the priming pump were exactly the problems I had with units built 4-5 years ago and why my units and/or motor units were replaced....congrats on the repair.

anderson_p_r

No joy on the other motor head, still pulls bubbles. The good one has started to occasionally draw bubbles, so we'll see how that goes. If Marineland can't help me I'm considering bypassing/plugging the priming pump all together. I'd rather prime them manually than deal with this crap.

anderson_p_r

I got around to disabling the priming pump and it seems to have cured the bubbles. I might do the same to the other filter so that both are in the same configuration.

anderson_p_r

I thought I had these all figured out but apparently not. I went to fiddle with the problematic one and use the good one as "control" and found the same problem has come back in the "good" one. My last resort is going to be to caulk up priming pump and hope that fixes it for good.

pbmax

I'm imagining a canister filter with a giant mound of silicone covering the top of it. WIN!  :cheers: