Problems with Canister filter

anderson_p_r

Howdy all. I recently acquired a couple of used Marineland C-360 canister filters. $25 each I couldn't really say no. However, there is a problem, I can't seem to get one to stop pulling in air. It's not leaking water, but somewhere actually in the canister, and before the impeller, it's pulling in air...constantly. I can hear bubbles hitting the impeller every couple seconds and there is a bust of fine bubbles up the output tube following each. I've taken this thing about as apart as it was ever meant to go and cleaned and silicone greased every connection I can find. I don't believe the seller duped me, but these had been sitting unused for a good long while.

Anybody else ever encounter this or something similar?

pbmax

Some canisters (like my Rena XP1) need to be burped to get all of the air out; this is a potentially messy process that involves partially opening the filter while it's running which allows the filter to completely fill, expelling the excess air.  If water squirts everywhere then you did it wrong... ;) 

This may or may not be your issue... I also get this problem when the intake is constricted (like a clogged pre-filter).

anderson_p_r

I ran a C-220 on a 55g years ago and I'm familiar with "burping" the filter. I assumed that was it was last night so I shook, tilted and tapped the filter but it just seemed to keep coming. It was still doing the same this morning. I'm positive I've gotten all air out opening the system. I suspect the problem lies in the priming pump. It was stuck down when I got it and I was able to get it freed up but now it doesn't exactly prime correctly. I'm considering bypassing it somehow and seeing what happens.

pbmax

I see my phantom hater is still around... would he/she/it care to explain why that post deserves a red vote?  My xp1 really does need to be burped upon being refilled (no priming capability built in, it never fills completely, and shaking doesn't cut it) and a constricted intake really does cause bubbles in the filter.

anderson_p_r

Ok, my anger lead me to say "screw it" and I figured out how to rebuild the priming pump. It works again which is nice and all but I still have the bubbles. It's not an insignificant amount of air I'm really confused as to where it could be pulling in this much air. Video coming soon. I tried loosening the lid while running, didn't do much. So I tried cracking the seal and purging water while running and seemed to work, for about 5 seconds :). I am really stumped by this thing. I'm starting to wonder if there is a small crack or something in it. What confuses me is how it can be taking in air but not leaking water?

pbmax

No water leaking means any potential leaks are along the intake path (negative pressure). It's much easier to suck air than water, so any leaks would pull in bubbles while the filter was operating.

pbmax

I suppose you could try some sort of air-tight tape around the priming button? I'm not sure how realistic that is....  :cyclops:

You could try some teflon tape on the coupling maybe?

My XP1 drove me nuts for a couple of weeks before I learned the right process to fix the bubbles... I understand your frustration.

pbmax

You could try emptying it, closing the output ball valve, and blowing into the intake. It won't be particularly tasty, but a bit of extra (clean!) hose lying around may help. A little soapy water applied around the seals should help locate any leaks, or you could just listen for the hiss.

Just throwing ideas out here. :) And thanks for the green, whoever bestowed it upon me.  :eek: 

anderson_p_r

That's a good idea. I'll try that and see what I get. Googled the problem and it seems to be a common fault of these filters. Sounds like a gasket kit and a new valve block should resolve it if I'm unable to rebuild it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I would contact Marineland and ask them. They are a pretty nice company, they may offer something.... you never know. Doesn't hurt to ask.

anderson_p_r

I will be contacting Marineland. Seeing as these filters are used and Lord know how old I don't imagine I'll get much for free, but you don't know if you don't ask. :) I'll scalp some parts out of the other filter and see if I can get one good one put together, but really I imagine I'll order a gasket kit and a new valve block. I imagine about $30 after shipping. If that sorts it out I'll still only be $55 into it, not bad.

A

Anonymous

pbmax said:
I see my phantom hater is still around... would he/she/it care to explain why that post deserves a red vote?  My xp1 really does need to be burped upon being refilled (no priming capability built in, it never fills completely, and shaking doesn't cut it) and a constricted intake really does cause bubbles in the filter.
This may have been a mistake. On my mobile I sometimes hit a + or - by mistake. Usually its the plus sign though. When I hit the minus , I come back later and hit the + out of guilt, lol! (I wasn't the one in the caee though, ha)

This is an interesting situation. I like the soapy water solution. I hope it works. Its gotta be sucking air through a small crack or a failing seal. I dont have much experience with canisters. The one I have, the hard lines that go into the tank have O rings. I notice they get bound up if I am not careful. Your issue can't be that simple... You say you have 2 though. Maybe the one you are having issues is missing something? Like a O ring, seal, IDK.... You could dissemble the other and compair? The top inside of my canister there is an airline that sucks out air and injects it directly into the water return line before it can get to the pump. If your canister has this maybe plugged or failing some how?

anderson_p_r

The valve block on the Marineland C series filters have two O rings for in and out. All four are in place and intact on this one and lubricated with the proper silicone grease. What I started noticing was that If I had the swivel for the hose positioned just right the bubbles seemed to cease, if only for a couple minutes. I'm curious if the other valve block is in any better shape. I was disappointed to see the valve block was not serviceable. Almost every other part of this filter is.

I really enjoyed my C-220, but I was the first owner and maintained it very well. It's obvious the previous owner of these wasn't all that into maintenance.

pbmax

I wonder if you let it dry out for a few days and then totally goop'd around both hose swivels with silicone if that would solve the problem?  It wouldn't be pretty... but who cares, if it stops the bubbles.