PokeSephiroth's 55 Gallon Community Tank

dwarfpike said:
I have to agree, I like seeing the hardscape as well, it makes for a better contrast which just makes the plants look better. Also a neat idea to ID the plants in the video like you did, saved me having to ask about the amazing looking Barclaya.
Thanks dwarfpike! I remember wanting to ask someone what plant was in their video, but it was always difficult trying to explain which plant I was trying to ask about. "What's the plant that's on the far left, but not totally left, kinda in the background, to midground area?"

LOL... could you imagine? =D

I think we've all done it before (trying to ask about a certain plant, etc...) But thanks for the compliments, everyone! I'm glad that labeling the plants was a big hit! :D

Here are a couple pictures with more of the chain sword that I harvested from my 10 gallon shrimp tank. It definitely does look fuller :) I can't wait to see it spread! Thanks again for the tip, Anthraxx!!  :spoton: 

A

Anonymous

Wow...

Did you do anything while editing or is the lighting like this for real?! IDK, if it's real you've totally hit that amazing look. The colors pop, the greens are vibrant. I mean, everything looks supurb. My god man.

Nick_87

Wow! I Wish I could keep my plants alive let alone make something so amazing. This is what I want my tank to look at but sadly it's just a mess.

fishNAbowl said:
Wow...

Did you do anything while editing or is the lighting like this for real?! IDK, if it's real you've totally hit that amazing look. The colors pop, the greens are vibrant. I mean, everything looks supurb. My god man.

Nick_87 said:
Wow! I Wish I could keep my plants alive let alone make something so amazing. This is what I want my tank to look at but sadly it's just a mess.

Discuslover said:
I'm on my way to something similar. This is exactly what inspires me. Well done!

Thanks fishNAbowl! As far as editing is concerned, I had to make the tank itself dimmer, but only during the part where I start listing off/labelling the plants. It's very subtle. But other than that, no... I didn't mess around with contrast or color enhancing. It's actually a lot brighter than it should be, so I had to lower the exposure on my camera phone (iPhone5s) so that the brighter areas were tolerable, without making the tank look TOO dark. I also added some "window tinting" film as the background on the tank. I like the effect where it's semi see through. And that has made the plants "pop" out more. I decided against painting the tank black, because then we wouldn't be able to see it from the back when we're in the living room.

Anyway, the light combination of the t5HO, StingRay and Monster Ray, make it look really nice! I usually don't have the StingRay on there, but I thought I'd give it a try. And now that my Monster Ray broke, I have the StingRay on there as a temporary replacement. That co2 tank is really starting to pay off!

Nick_87, thank you! I definitely have noticed a bump in plant growth ever since you got me into co2. Hahaha!! I'm sure you could totally do that with your tank, although, your tank would be more difficult since it's bigger (and deeper), so that would mean a lot more light. BUT... still doable. Don't give up! :D I still owe you plants btw.

Discuslover, I'm glad I'm able to inspire you with my videos! I'm excited and eager to see how your tank(s) look like when you've got everything where you want them to be. Keep us posted!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I LOVE all the color and the awesome amount of fish! This makes me want to add a bunch of snakeskin tetra and cardinal's to my 30 gallon that's planted! I don't think an angel pair would be happy with that though if I want to breed lol

A

Anonymous

Test good! I just planted Blyxa J and small chain swords in my 140. Looks like you have them too in the 55 gallon. Hope mine turn out as nice as yours :)

Thanks fishNAbowl! These lenses are pretty cheap, about $10 for three different lenses that attach to your phone. I'm so happy I got them though! Maybe with more experience (and money) I can afford even better ones, but that's somewhere further down the road.

I'm not sure what kind of Blyxa I have, but I'm guessing it's Japonica. I got it from one of our customers, who bought some at Aquarium Co-Op a while back.

As for the Dwarf Chain Swords, I got ONE......ONE TINY SPRIG of it from pbmax, like...2 years ago when I started out my 10 gallon shrimp tank. And it didn't really thrive. It just kinda stayed small and didn't do anything, until I moved it out of the 10 gallon and transfered it into the 55 gallon, and it has since then started multiplying and growing like crazy. I might actually pull them all out, and replace them with more blyxa, if I can find any locally.

I find that I like how the blyxa looks, more than the dwarf chain sword. :)

I'm sure yours will turn out pretty darn amazing too!