PokeSephiroth's 55 Gallon Community Tank

-=Update 04/19/2016=-
New video update... can't believe it's been this long since the last one! Enjoy :D

-=Update 01/4/2016=-
I FINALLY was able to make an update video of my 55 gallon planted tank. I hope you all enjoy it and find some sort of inspiration from it :)

-=Update 01/19/2015=-
New fish video is out! It has been anticipated and I'm happy that people were looking forward for this video! Thank you for all the support everyone!

-=Update 11/17/2014=-
If you haven't seen my latest video... why haven't you? :p
Here's the most current video of my 55 Gallon Community Tank!

sooo... I guess I never made a post about my 55 gallon tank...which is funny, because it was the first tank I ever started with ever since I moved to Bremerton, and it was the first tank I had when I joined WaFishBox... odd... I guess I just had such a hard time getting decent video footage of the tank because of its size. Filming smaller tanks is SO much easier! :)

Last edited:
theChad, thanks! Yes lots and lots of little fishies!! :D I love how they just swim around like they own the tank. lol... But from time to time, they will school together especially AFTER feeding time, like in the video :D

A

Anonymous

Truly inspirational. Im about done planting a new 9.5 gallon. Its just clearing up and all the plants have dust on them. I ventured into the shrimp hobby with this tank, and just picked up 10 dwarf Cory cats.
After LJ adopts my Ctenopoma I plan on getting a large school of Cardinal Tetra for my 140. Think it would be real nice to have about 100 of these schooling the top levels of the tank :)

theChad, if you want real schooling action, I would advise you to get some Rummynose Tetras, those little things school is REALLY tight groups!

And for smaller tanks, if you plan on wanting more fish that travel in tight groups, I would recommend Exclamation Point Rasboras :D

Both of which, Cory has at his store. Wheeeew!!

Cardinals are nice, but after a while, then end up just laying low near the substrate level and just kinda chill... not necessarily travelling together hehehe. Still neat to have, to add a splash of color though!

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
theChad, if you want real schooling action, I would advise you to get some Rummynose Tetras, those little things school is REALLY tight groups!

And for smaller tanks, if you plan on wanting more fish that travel in tight groups, I would recommend Exclamation Point Rasboras :D

Both of which, Cory has at his store. Wheeeew!!

Cardinals are nice, but after a while, then end up just laying low near the substrate level and just kinda chill... not necessarily travelling together hehehe. Still neat to have, to add a splash of color though!
A tight schooling fish would be preferred. The common type rummynose are from S American so this is doable! I once had a school of a less popular and rarer Asain type rummynose. It was a fav for the longest time. I do not want a fish that's going to just lie there. Need a school that will stay at the top. So, rummy would be a better choice! Thank you :)

theChad, hmmm... my rummynose tends to stay towards the bottom of the tank. If you want fish that stay towards the top..... well, I'm not sure. LOL. Maybe hatchet fish? :D

Those Exclamation Point Rasboras though...boy, they are tiny, like half the size of neon tetras, but they swim in like...a swarm. Kinda reminds me of a swarm of bees swimming underwater or something. LOL I think Cory is selling those for $2 each.

And $2.50-$4 for the rummynose.

We ended up getting a new "stand" for our 55 gallon tank. This one is so much higher (43") than the older stand (25") and it really makes a difference! No longer have to bend down to see the fish, as the tank is now at eye level (well, for me it is) :D You can see the older stand towards the right side of the picture.

Yay Christmas!

KaraWolf

You'll have to tell us what's the difference in trying to clean it. Debating myself on how tall the stand to my 125 is going to be...and I'm wondering if needing a stepladder would be worth it! looks fantastic!

Working at Aquarium Co-Op, we already use stepladders to clean any tanks that are up high, so I'm kinda used to it already. If you're using a siphon to take water out, it will definitely go a lot faster because the height difference is greater when the tank is higher. That also means that filling it back up with water will take a bit longer since it has to fight gravity. If you're using a python or something similar to a python, it makes life sooooo much easier! :D

KaraWolf

Hubby said it should be his eye height and he's nearly 6ft I don't think so!! I have one of those sink attachments but I don't think it works very well. One direction takes forever to do if I use the faucet. but i can't remember if it's in or out....though I know most of the time I'd rather just run the hose into the yard to drain it if I'm not gravel vac-ing. So you already know!!! lol are extra tall tanks noticeably harder to clean then ones that are armpit tall or shorter?

Taller ones are indeed more difficult to clean especially when you have to scrape the glass with a razor, but other than that, nothing too bad.. ;)

LuminousAphid

Yeah that looks awesome, and I like that there is extra room, you should get some nice planters to go along each side to compliment the plants inside, it could make a nice show tank!

Thanks fishNAbox and LuminousAphid! That plant idea sounds great! I was trying to figure out what I could do to fill in the spaces, and that idea sounds awesome!

I'm thinking of re-scaping my 55 gallon tank... maybe I'll do it tonight. We will see... I just... I don't... know if I really like where it's at now. :\

Looks too jungly. Even if I were to trim some of the plants back, it just looks like a chaotic mess. Maybe I'll just group some of the plants more. We'll see.

Before:

cichlid-gal

Lots of really beautiful and healthy plants in that tank so there is a lot you could do Angelo. I'm sure whatevver you end up doing will be beautiful. Can't wait to see it!

Thanks, Donna! :) I took some progress pictures while doing the rescape. I... I'm fairly happy with it. I did take out some plants/decor all together, and by the time I finished, and really took some time to *look at all of it* . . . . it kinda still looks like a jungle, too many plants maybe? I don't know... I might end up just taking some more plants out (anubias, mainly) to see if that makes it more visually appealing. There's definitely more swimming room for the fish, that's for sure!

I ended up taking out a couple rocks here and there, the two large java fern plants, which I put in my axolotl tank, the small dwarf red lily plant. I figured that since I already have the tiger lily in there, the dwarf lily wouldn't stand a chance against it. And the bacopa caroliniana, which I transfered over to my 36 gallon tank. :)

I'd like to say that I'm about 89% happier with this new scape. I'm sure if I take out a couple more plants and let the other plants fill in, then I will be even happier with it! :D

After:

I can't wait for the water to clear up, so I can take a better picture of the tank! :D