Plecos spawned

Madness

Staff member
I just went down stairs and saw a pile of pleco eggs in my little nano tank. Which means I will hopefully have some baby long finned Green Dragon Bristlenose real soon. The tank has a few pests in it (damn snails) so hopefully they dont harm the eggs before they hatch. This will be my first pleco spawn. :cheers:

If dad ever comes out of the log, I will get some pictures of them all.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, that's awesome. Pictures would be appreciated 8)

Madness

Staff member
Here is the best I can do at this time.

photobucket-6238-1357112018295.jpg

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

A

Anonymous

I don't get it ;)

Don't quit your day job! Haha :tongue:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Worst pleco drawings ever! Now if you said they were betta, then I might say good job! :joker:

Ubermunch

Dont hold your breath on the dad leaveing. My albino bristlenose just spawned and the eggs hatched so i thought that he might leave nope. the babies left before he did. 3 survived that i can tell :)

Madness

Staff member
But what's confusing is there is a pile of eggs out side of the log and he still won't come out of it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Nice, an oddly enough, I see the resemblance in your drawings. Good luck with the hatchings!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Odd about the eggs.... dont they usually go in the cave? :scratch:

Betty

Staff member
Congrats on the spawn!

Before my bristlenose males learned how to keep the eggs in their caves, they had a batch or two kicked out into the tank, so I would put the eggs into a breeder box or a net with an airstone to somewhat simulate the male fanning them and they developed fine that way.

Madness

Staff member
Betty said:
Congrats on the spawn!

Before my bristlenose males learned how to keep the eggs in their caves, they had a batch or two kicked out into the tank, so I would put the eggs into a breeder box or a net with an airstone to somewhat simulate the male fanning them and they developed fine that way.
How long before they hatch. Cichlids hatch in 4 days, are plecos similar?

Madness

Staff member
InfamousRedlineZ said:
Greats mad! I'm expecting for you to sell me some right?! :) please say yes ;)
If they survive, darn right I will be selling them. I see 1 inchers going for $15. Grant it I wont be selling them for that much, but for a good price. I paid a pretty penny for this pair, time to recoup my money. :D

InfamousRedlineZ

Once they do hatch please let me know. I am also interested in buying some other of your fishes too! I need take mates for my arowana and oscars! Again Congratulation!

Betty

Staff member
madness said:
How long before they hatch. Cichlids hatch in 4 days, are plecos similar?
I would say if you look closely, they might be starting to hatch now.

I found these eggs outside the cave one morning -- I don't know how long they had been in the cave before they were kicked out.
e5b9cba9.jpg

Two days later you can see some of them are out.
c8769ee7.jpg

And two more days...
fcca8a13.jpg

This was five and a half days after putting the eggs in the breeder box. It doesn't take them long!
716abd1a.jpg

That particular male had the eggs come out of his log (the same one you are using) a few times before he (and I) got it right. I ended up elevating the open end a little bit and now that he's very experienced, there are no problems with it not being elevated.

One other thing... it's possible that he has more eggs inside the cave. I've had that happen as well, where some of the eggs were kicked out, but not all of them.