Pleco Breeding Cave Ideas?

A

Anonymous

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
haha I'm sure they've probably wanted to do that a time or two to me. But I already have them set up on their watering system that they love. I am going to start selling them to people now. :)
Yum, fresh eggs.

Betty said:
If you try it, don't hollow them out all the way through.  At least not all of them that you make.  All of my bristlenose choose caves with only one opening.
 :iagree: 

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
haha I'm sure they've probably wanted to do that a time or two to me. But I already have them set up on their watering system that they love. I am going to start selling them to people now. :)
Yum, fresh eggs.

Mmmhmmm :)waaay better than store bought junk!

Nick_87

For a cheap cave I took some 3/4" and 1" PVC pipe and cut it into 4"-6" pieces and then heated one end of it over the kitchen stove and clamped it closed with a pair of pliers. It only cost a few cents and is well proven in my tank. And yes they sink.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
My tank is planted so I'm trying to go with as natural looking as possible. That is definitely a great idea though and I wouldn't have thought of it!

pbmax

I use small clay pots cut in half. They don't look as nice as wood, but they do look better than PVC. Without the proper tools, however, they're a pain to cut that way.  :shock:  I need a tile saw...

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
haha I've often wondered how people cut them evenly without breaking them. I've used them before for other things like with cichlids but left them whole.

pbmax

One hacksaw blade per pot!  :cyclops: And these are little pots too... I did cut 3 or 4 with the spiral cutting bit for my dremel, but it's so dull now it won't cut anything. One of these days I'll try a real tile cutting bit.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
We used to have a tile cutter my boyfriend borrowed for laying tile flooring in our bedroom. Unfortunately, that left a while ago. :(

Clogstonian

Something I've done in the past which works well for plecos but it's a little labor intensive; you'll need a pair(or two) of cheap surgical gloves(hardware store item), take a capers jar or any glass/ceramic jar/vase of the appropriate size, squeeze out a healthy glob of silcon on a piece cardboard then roll the jar in it covering the top surface (as it lays flat like it would in your tank . .you don't need to go all the way around the jar if you set it into your substrate a little bit) make it a thick layer. Then roll the jar in a pile of your dry substrate. Set up something so you can let this sit and cure. You can hand sprinkle (use a clean pair of gloves at this point) some gravel over any spots that need it and over the front edge of the jar so the glass doesn't reflect the light.

I've found some nice cheap ceramic and glass vases at GoodWill type places.

Justa thought

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Clogstonian said:
Something I've done in the past which works well for plecos but it's a little labor intensive; you'll need a pair(or two) of cheap surgical gloves(hardware store item), take a capers jar or any glass/ceramic jar/vase of the appropriate size, squeeze out a healthy glob of silcon on a piece cardboard then roll the jar in it covering the top surface (as it lays flat like it would in your tank . .you don't need to go all the way around the jar if you set it into your substrate a little bit) make it a thick layer. Then roll the jar in a pile of your dry substrate. Set up something so you can let this sit and cure. You can hand sprinkle (use a clean pair of gloves at this point) some gravel over any spots that need it and over the front edge of the jar so the glass doesn't reflect the light.

I've found some nice cheap ceramic and glass vases at GoodWill type places.

Justa thought
That's freaking GENIUS!! I love this idea!! I think I will do this and try the hollowed out logs too!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I had seen similar with the use of pvc pipe covered in silicone and then covered in rock. just make sure to use the type of silicone that does not have mold inhibitors so that its fish safe.

Clogstonian

it can be a little messy and the first one may not turn out great but once your set up you should prob make a couple and select the best one . . . have fun! . . .yes, ALWAYS use aquarium safe sealants.

Clogstonian

That's freaking GENIUS!! I love this idea!! I think I will do this and try the hollowed out logs too![/quote]

. . thanks for that by the way!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
What is the best silicone to use? I would need to cap them so I can remove them from the breeding tank and into a fry tank before they release from the cave.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I'm thinking black pipe to blend in a bit and covered in rock, that I already have too much of and sitting around will be perfect! I could also use Nick_87's idea with making the end soft and pinching closed to create the sealed end instead of a cap too. This is why I love this site. A mash up of ideas can create great things!

Clogstonian

You should be able to find the aquarium safe silcon at the same hardware store as the latex gloves, it has a small pict. of an aquarium (how convenient) . . I think they charge a little more for the picture and the qualifying statement that it's aquarium safe but I don't know  if it's actually any different, but as previously mentioned, make sure it does not contain a mold inhibitor.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120331141126AA6dbcL