Pleco Breeding Cave Ideas?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I've been on the hunt for some caves for my pleco breeding project. However, the majority of what I find are sold out. So I was considering buying these and hollowing out the centers of them to make my own breeding logs. What do you guys think? Or do you have any ideas of what else I could use. OTHER than the clay ones that I see every where that are horrible looking. lol. I'm looking for realistic as this is a planted tank they will be in.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ive never bred plecos but I can say that those would look better than the clay ones they sell. That would be a very nice, natural look.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
That's what I was thinking and I could stack them or place them in any which way and use them to plant anubias and stuff off of too. The plecos currently prefer a piece of driftwood to hang out around anyways. I figure win win this route.

MRTom

I am in love with this idea... now I wanna buy a bunch of manzanita branches to hollow them out and run my filter tubing through them as a way to camouflage them. Thx for posting!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
That's what I was thinking and I could stack them or place them in any which way and use them to plant anubias and stuff off of too. The plecos currently prefer a piece of driftwood to hang out around anyways. I figure win win this route.
Looks like you have a new money making business idea!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
That's true! I could sell them on ebay. Or on fish forums and they will easily fit in flat rate boxes too.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Madness said:
Get on it, what are you waiting for?  Stop stalling, and move it.  ;)
I know, she had at least half an hour after she posted. She should have made at least a dozen by then and set up her web page to sell them!  :joker: 

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
Madness said:
Get on it, what are you waiting for?  Stop stalling, and move it.  ;)
I know, she had at least half an hour after she posted. She should have made at least a dozen by then and set up her web page to sell them!  :joker: 
Haha I know, just like the chicken waterers I need to get on making! I'm totally slacking!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
just like the chicken waterers I need to get on making! I'm totally slacking!
Better get to it or else....

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
haha I'm sure they've probably wanted to do that a time or two to me. But I already have them set up on their watering system that they love. I am going to start selling them to people now. :)

oddballer

Thats a REALLY cool idea! I know id be interested. I use the clay tubular cave. I burry half of it so it emerges from the ground. But i agree that a more natural look would be great!

A

Anonymous

Those are neat pieces of woOd. I can't tell what type of wood that is but if I remember correctly isn't there stuff like sap in wood we have to worry about leaching in the waters? I like the wood idea so don't get me wrong here. By the pictures it looks like the wood is split by a bunch of cracks. You may want to double check the wood and make sure you can hollow them out without them falling apart. Some cracks look like they run the length of the wood and pretty deep

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
Those are neat pieces of woOd. I can't tell what type of wood that is but if I remember correctly isn't there stuff like sap in wood we have to worry about leaching in the waters? I like the wood idea so don't get me wrong here. By the pictures it looks like the wood is split by a bunch of cracks. You may want to double check the wood and make sure you can hollow them out without them falling apart. Some cracks look like they run the length of the wood and pretty deep
Oh very good point. I'll definitely look into it more!

Betty

Staff member
If you try it, don't hollow them out all the way through. At least not all of them that you make. All of my bristlenose choose caves with only one opening.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I had noticed that all the clay caves online had covered backs and remembers you saying they liked the cichlid stones too. I think my boyfriend has a tool or 2 that would work for only partial holes.