Platies!

jettej

So general question. I've used my sister's camera which was a cannon d series or whatsoever. Anyways it got flash and errthing. It also have that multi flash feature that is basically just like a Strobe light while you take pics. I was wondering if aggressive flashing/srobing would stress fish out? I didn't see any effect but i only. Used it a couple of time and had this thought of stressing them out so yahh. The concept of havin tons of light really makes sense but what temperature combination do u guys think that will make their scales and fins colors show mkre effectively?

pbmax

Well, if the fish freak out and try to hide, stop using the strobe. :D I generally try to hide when people try to take photos of me... but I imagine some fish night not care. ;)

Most folks like their aquarium lighting to be around 10,000K; maybe that's a good place to start? You could always post-process the photos to adjust the temperature to what you think looks best. I almost always adjust for exposure and sometimes for temperature. It's tough to get that right though since LCD displays (all I have in my house) are notoriously bad at correct color rendering.

jettej

pbmax said:
Well, if the fish freak out and try to hide, stop using the strobe. :D I generally try to hide when people try to take photos of me... but I imagine some fish night not care. ;)

Most folks like their aquarium lighting to be around 10,000K; maybe that's a good place to start?  You could always post-process the photos to adjust the temperature to what you think looks best.  I almost always adjust for exposure and sometimes for temperature.  It's tough to get that right though since LCD displays (all I have in my house) are notoriously bad at correct color rendering.
Yeah some don't usually care. I just thought it may affect their eyes or senses. Btw yeah i honestly tried using my HTC One camera and it sucked! Having the fact that it has 1080p capabilities 4megapix and a hdr. Still getting confused blurry photos.

pbmax

I hit Aquarium Paradise, Lakewood Petco, and Lakewood Petsmart today - all zero. I was looking for non-orange/red colored or painted / blue platies. All the stock I came across that fit and weren't looking awful or completely ick-ed were a couple of white mickey mouse females. If they'd had a male as well I'd have bought them... oh well :(

I saw a lot of unhappy fish... :(

So, next stop: Aquabid.

pbmax

My fat female sunburst platy got a lot skinnier today. I spent a good amount of time peering into the tank until I finally found a couple of tiny yellow fry hiding at the bottom in the java moss! :cheers: 

I netted the two out and put them in my 10g snail tank (same elevated GH and KH as the 29g). I haven't found any others yet, but if these two survive I'll call it success. :)

In other news, I have an order of Panda platies on the way from Florida. Fingers crossed!

jettej

Heres a few more i took today!

Nothing special but I noticed that they had Swordtails strain on them. The Sword just takes longer for them to grow and its shorter :). I'm still on a hunt for Green Platies.

But This is the best i could get. for one of my best Male

Hi fin/Plumetail/Swordtail Platy:

pbmax

My Pandas arrived today!  The +1 didn't make it , but the other 5 are doing really well - very active with spread fins and no indication of ich at all. :cheers: 

And now for the bad news.  They claimed the size made them unsexable ( :scratch:  :suspect: ), so I got 4 males and 1 female :( Now there's a sausage party in my recently re-done 10g and a single sexed pair in my nice display tank.  Anyone want 3 beautiful, healthy male panda platies?! :D

Anyways, photos.

pbmax

MorganEA said:
I love the panda platys!!
Thanks; me too! :D They're quite beautiful, and already very friendly. The couple is sticking together in their new home so far.

pbmax

My new panda platy population has experienced some ups and downs in the last couple of weeks.

First - 2 of the 3 males in the other tank were showing symptoms of fin rot, so I treated them (successfully so far) with some Maracyn 2.

The male in the photos is, unfortunately, no longer with us. He went downhill really quickly and was gone shortly after I moved him to the medicated tank. :( Thankfully I had 3 backup males, so I selected the smallest of the remaining males who was closest to the single female in size and transferred him to the female's tank.

One of the 2 remaining males in the other tank sustained some sort of internal injury. This could have been accidentally inflicted by me during tank maintenance, I suppose, but I didn't notice it if that was the case. He's been sinking tail-down like he has a swim bladder problem and he seems unable to use his tail fin. He also had a bright red spot along his spine toward the tail which is why I think it was trauma. Despite all this he's still perky, still eating, still swimming up to the front of the tank to say hi, and seems to have improved noticeably over the last few days. The red spot is gone now and he seems to be getting some of his attitude control back. I have high hopes! :) Neither of those 2 males are showing fin-rot symptoms anymore, so that's a big plus.

The best news is that the female is still quite healthy and dumped a ton of fry in my heavily planted 20g over Saturday night. I've fished about 15 panda platy fry out of the 20g and transferred them to my snail / fry tank since then. I haven't noticed any attrits after the transfer; so far so good! :cheers:

I'll try to get some more photos soon, including some of my 3 healthy and thriving sunburst platy fry. They're growing super fast... I'm going to be up to my ears in platies faster than I expected. ;)

pbmax

Here are some photos I took today of some of my platy fry - mostly panda, but some sunburst.

To date I've lost ALL but one of the panda platies I received from imperial tropicals :silent: , but the female survived and she's produced quite a few fry (and is still going! :cheers: ).  All 3 of my adult sunburst platies are still kicking and they're slowly giving me more fry as well.

The platy fry tank is home to panda and sunburst platy fry, ramshorn snails, chocolate neocaridina shrimp culls, guppy grass, susswassertang, and narrow-leaf ludwigia (Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata).  There's a thriving infestation of what I believe to be a cladophora algae species as well...  :suspect: 

All told I have 4 producing females (2 pandas, 2 sunburst) in other tanks.  They've been breeding more or less "true", color-wise, but the younger panda platy may be kicking out some mixed sunburst-panda fry (I'm as appalled as you are, believe me  :affraid: ).

pbmax

Unfortunately, I am not; I have a dozen valid excuses, but really I prefer to remain elusive.  :suspect: 

That said, I do find myself up your direction from time to time (my parents live near Renton), so if you're interested in some of them I'm sure we can figure something out.

pbmax

Thanks! :) These are some of my smaller fry; the larger female juveniles were moved to their mother's tank recently. The 2 male juveniles are enjoying a perpetual sausage party with the sunburst males out in the garage (with some adult yellow shrimp to keep them company).

cichlid-gal

I have one pair of platies...they are half orange/half black with black speckles...not sure what the common name for them is. They are going to a new tank this coming week and I'll get some pics of them.