Platies!

pbmax

Wow, neat fins; I've never seen any like that before. :) Thanks for posting the photos!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
pbmax said:
THATS IT I QUIT! :evil: 

:D  Too soon? :suspect: 
:laughhard:  Not you too.

Have you tried the upgrade to a slightly bigger tank and then to the next one up? Thats what I did. I started back into the hobby with a 65g breeder then went to a 120g and then to my 210. I also spoke of the need for a hospital tank and started a 29g then a 56g column and then my 72g bow. Of course now I really need a hospital tank so.... working toward my third big tank.

My wife never noticed. :woot: 

pbmax

pbmax said:
Now if you could convince my wife to let me get a 55gal..................................... :scratch: 
I brought this up to her just now and my normally unflappable wife looked at me with terror in her eyes and told me she didn't want to live in a "fish house". :pale: :(

I only have 12 tanks, I don't see what the big deal is. :bounce: 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
If you promised to cut back on the number of tanks would she compromise?

KaraWolf

Awww you guy's spouses are spoil sports!!!! Mine said as long as he can have a mancave I can turn our whole house into a tank XD and we got together when I only had a 15gal....even suggested he would build me a 300 gallon if I did a salt tank (though now he's loving the giant freshwater fish I've shown him XD ) as of this point in time the only rooms that don't have tanks are the dark bathroom, laundry room and the spare bedroom that is only for storing things neatly or otherwise. Of course they're not nearly as big as what most of you are keeping LOL

pbmax

DMD123 said:
If you promised to cut back on the number of tanks would she compromise?
Why would I do a stupid thing like that!? :scratch: :suspect: :?: :shock: :D

pbmax

KaraWolf said:
Awww you guy's spouses are spoil sports!!!! Mine said as long as he can have a mancave I can turn our whole house into a tank XD and we got together when I only had a 15gal....even suggested he would build me a 300 gallon if I did a salt tank (though now he's loving the giant freshwater fish I've shown him XD ) as of this point in time the only rooms that don't have tanks are the dark bathroom, laundry room and the spare bedroom that is only for storing things neatly or otherwise. Of course they're not nearly as big as what most of you are keeping LOL
My wife keeps me balanced and grounded. If she feels strongly about something I generally defer to her as she rarely asks me for anything. So if I'm going to pull it off, I need to present a workable solution in a way that she can fit into her view of the interior of house. Or find a way to fit another tank into the garage... both are easier said than done. And then there's the time aspect - that's even harder to justify.

I tried using a sports car purchase as leverage, but she called my bluff. And why is it I married a smart one again? :D

KaraWolf

build a shed with one of those space heaters or do a rack system. ack no rolling head guy smily :(joking!!!!! No I see where she's coming from completely......I feel bad but I have to do the same thing to my husband all the time cause he likes to ask for animals but...we have no more room right now and he needs to learn how to propperly care for the first two he has before he can have more and as much as I would LOVE a cat which he makes me feel bad about saying no to, our dog is still too excitable and tiny house is no room for both- I can just see the chase games at midnight right now.....0.o
Us smart ladies are good for something XP

pbmax

KaraWolf said:
build a shed with one of those space heaters or do a rack system. ack no rolling head guy smily :(joking!!!!! No I see where she's coming from completely......I feel bad but I have to do the same thing to my husband all the time cause he likes to ask for animals but...we have no more room right now and he needs to learn how to propperly care for the first two he has before he can have more and as much as I would LOVE a cat which he makes me feel bad about saying no to, our dog is still too excitable and tiny house is no room for both- I can just see the chase games at midnight right now.....0.o
Us smart ladies are good for something XP
Hehe, that made me laugh. :) I haven't given up yet. I do need to clean out the garage... ;)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
pbmax said:
My wife keeps me balanced and grounded
My wife does the same for me, otherwise I would have as many tanks as madness.

CrazedAce

You know, I've never had good luck with platys either. I got three red wag platys from Tanya in Grand Mound, and they were healthy until they got to adulthood. The male was hit with a sickness, and it took him forever to go. Same thing happened with the females, and then the replacement male we got. It's like something in my water just doesn't agree with them.

pbmax

KaraWolf said:
bwhahaha XP clean out the garage indeed. Of the car ;)Good luck XD
Hehe, no, I will not be one of those clogged garage hoarders who can't even fit one car.  I have racks all over the ceiling and shelves all over the walls, but I can still fit both cars in the garage. :)

That said, I've found a place for the 29g and stand in the garage that shouldn't require a lot of work to clear.  And a 40 breeder will fit in the spot where the 29 sits in the house currently.  As long as I don't take up more room in the house, my wife is a happy camper. :) Well, not entirely, but she'll tolerate it.  I leveraged the whole "my dad kept swords when I was a kid; I've always wanted to keep them" thing. ;)

Now I need to find budget for the project.  I may call petco tomorrow and see if they have a 40 available in Olympia with the $1 / gal sale - that's step 1.  Then I need to find a stand... and a filter... and a light fixture... and substrate... and a heater.  Pocket change, right? :scratch:

pbmax

CrazedAce said:
You know, I've never had good luck with platys either. I got three red wag platys from Tanya in Grand Mound, and they were healthy until they got to adulthood. The male was hit with a sickness, and it took him forever to go. Same thing happened with the females, and then the replacement male we got. It's like something in my water just doesn't agree with them.
What's your GH / KH at? Tanya's sitting at 8dGH and 3dKH. It's the 8dGH that makes her water magic for snails and I'm betting live-bearers too.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So would the 40B be tank #13 or is that the 29g? Then the 40B would be tank #14... Man you have way too many tanks! :whistle:  Not really, I wish I could have more.

pbmax

Heh, that would be tank 13.... too much? :D :shock: 

I have 1 2.5g, 1 3g, 6 10g, 3 20g, 1 29g. The 40 would be the biggest :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I like nano tanks but they seem to be more work than my big tanks. What are you thinking to do with a larger tank like the 40B?