Not all of them are Amphilophus

Madness

Staff member
Its hard to see but I am really liking these Festae that I got from COTA. They are WC Peruvian Festae. Not to mention the Heterospila, Breidohri, Zonatus and Argentea. All still very small so I am hoping that the Argentea develope their black markings soon, they are quite blah right now.20201212_210729.jpg 20201212_210814.jpg 20201212_210901.jpg 20201212_210616.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Interesting that these wild-caught fishes are so small. Is this typical for Neotropicals? Most of the WC fishes that come over from the African Lakes are young adults. Perhaps that's just to do with shipping costs?

Madness

Staff member
Interesting that these wild-caught fishes are so small. Is this typical for Neotropicals? Most of the WC fishes that come over from the African Lakes are young adults. Perhaps that's just to do with shipping costs?

From what I understand and what I think is happening is that all of these central American fish are being caught and bred in a holding tanks in Central America then shipped to the States. Are they technically wild caught probably not but I believe that is how they are getting here so small. Just my opinion but I do agree typically they are much larger.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
From what I understand and what I think is happening is that all of these central American fish are being caught and bred in a holding tanks in Central America then shipped to the States. Are they technically wild caught probably not but I believe that is how they are getting here so small. Just my opinion but I do agree typically they are much larger.

I looked at the available S.A. on their site and they did have some larger wc.

sir_keith

Legendary Member

That would make sense. And you're right: technically they are F1's, but in terms of their genetic heterogeneity, they are equivalent to wild-caught (although probably easier to acclimate).

I looked at the available S.A. on their site and they did have some larger wc.

Yes, I suspect they do. It wasn't the lack of WC adults that I was curious about so much as the availability of 'WC' juveniles- so much more difficult to capture. :)

Madness

Staff member
A nice shot of one my Maskaheros Argentea. Not to happy with the lack of black markings on this group, hopefully the black develops as they grow. If not, i will have 5 of these availIMG_20201225_232651_386.jpg able.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
A nice shot of one my Maskaheros Argentea. Not to happy with the lack of black markings on this group, hopefully the black develops as they grow. If not, i will have 5 of these availView attachment 7395 able.
They do look a lot like their parents.... time will tell, but I’d love to see them really develop that salt and pepper look with the zoro mask!

Madness

Staff member
So interesting activity in the Bifa tank. The smallest of the group, i would assume is a female, looks to be in breeding dress and tidying up the area around the pot. All the bigger Bifa come over and she (assuming she) chases them away. The smallest of the large ones she lets hang around for a bit then chases away. But i also have red devil grow outs in there and the largest of that group(3") is helping her move gravel and clean, and it keeps chasing the others in the group away. Hmmmm?
20210123_143807.jpg 20210123_144750.jpg 20210123_144818.jpg 20210123_144628.jpg 20210123_143841.jpg 20210123_143616.jpg