New SW setup!

Spyral

My emeralds were both on top of the live rock this morning but by the time I got the camera, they had scurried away..lol.

The piece of live rock is loaded with purple coraline, the picture does it no justice, I hope that spreads to the other rock in there.

lilfishie

Spyral said:
My emeralds were both on top of the live rock this morning but by the time I got the camera, they had scurried away..lol.

The piece of live rock is loaded with purple coraline, the picture does it no justice, I hope that spreads to the other rock in there.
Emeralds are the best. I love those guys. They can be very entertaining. That one rock your talking about is a nice looking rock. Let me know when you are ready to put some soft coral in there.

Spyral

one of my emeralds came out!

IMG00448-20100911-1151.jpg

IMG00449-20100911-1151.jpg

IMG00450-20100911-1152.jpg

and this is a snailzor! it was attached to the feather duster.

IMG00451-20100911-1152.jpg

baglel10

lilfishie said:
Could be just the type of snail. It may not have taken to the acclimation as well as the other one. Do you know what your water parameters are?
Do you have test kits? Not strips but actual chemical kits? Snails do not like high magnesium. They will be sluggish. Check ph level too. Small ammonia levels, nitrite levels will kill them and if they die they will mess up your water paramaters real bad.
Make sure anything you put in the tank has not been exposed to copper. Copper will kill inverts. I think you know that!
Put a couple pieces of mysis in the tank for the crabs. They will love it. Your feeding your clowns and blennie mysis too? And nori? And vitamins?

Has your water cycled yet?
How long has it been set up?
Did you do anything to jumpstart the cycle process?
Are you using rock that was from an existing mature system?
Typically it takes a good 6 weeks to cycle and you dont want to add any livestock for at least 3 months. Could be sacrificing them to the cycle it you do. But if using live rock from a mature system, you may not have much of a cycle.
You have a nice sand bed. Get a couple nassarius snails. They will clean up food in the sandbed. They burry themselves in the sand and can smell food a mile away. When they do, they surface and come running.
you are going to bash me out for this but heres the answeres for all these questions

yes my water has cycled
set up maby 2.5 months
i did not do anything to jumpstart the cycle
my rock is new
and here goes my bad question whats mysis

i didnt think i was feeding them wrong they seem so happy clown play with each other
ill set up a vid for you to help me out thanks dude ill try to get all i need but as im on a budget becouse my income is low as i have said many time im a kid i dont get a weekly monthly allounce i have to work for my money by eather mowing my lawn or going to work with my step dad wich he has not offerd my in a while but ill try my best to get them what they need :king:

lilfishie

baglel10 said:
lilfishie said:
Could be just the type of snail. It may not have taken to the acclimation as well as the other one. Do you know what your water parameters are?
Do you have test kits? Not strips but actual chemical kits? Snails do not like high magnesium. They will be sluggish. Check ph level too. Small ammonia levels, nitrite levels will kill them and if they die they will mess up your water paramaters real bad.
Make sure anything you put in the tank has not been exposed to copper. Copper will kill inverts. I think you know that!
Put a couple pieces of mysis in the tank for the crabs. They will love it. Your feeding your clowns and blennie mysis too? And nori? And vitamins?

Has your water cycled yet?
How long has it been set up?
Did you do anything to jumpstart the cycle process?
Are you using rock that was from an existing mature system?
Typically it takes a good 6 weeks to cycle and you dont want to add any livestock for at least 3 months. Could be sacrificing them to the cycle it you do. But if using live rock from a mature system, you may not have much of a cycle.
You have a nice sand bed. Get a couple nassarius snails. They will clean up food in the sandbed. They burry themselves in the sand and can smell food a mile away. When they do, they surface and come running.
you are going to bash me out for this but heres the answeres for all these questions

yes my water has cycled
set up maby 2.5 months
i did not do anything to jumpstart the cycle
my rock is new
and here goes my bad question whats mysis

i didnt think i was feeding them wrong they seem so happy clown play with each other
ill set up a vid for you to help me out thanks dude ill try to get all i need but as im on a budget becouse my income is low as i have said many time im a kid i dont get a weekly monthly allounce i have to work for my money by eather mowing my lawn or going to work with my step dad wich he has not offerd my in a while but ill try my best to get them what they need :king:
You need a job, I got one for you. I need a lot of yard work done. Weeding to be honest. It may pay enought to feed your fish all year! Of course you have to get here. Sending you PM

lilfishie

Spyral said:
You have some nice rock in there. Have you found any other critters yet that you didnt know you had? I can get you some if you need any. Like mini brittle stars. They are a great part of a clean up crew. Let me know if you would like a couple. I may be able to round a couple up.

Spyral

lilfishie said:
Spyral said:
You have some nice rock in there. Have you found any other critters yet that you didnt know you had? I can get you some if you need any. Like mini brittle stars. They are a great part of a clean up crew. Let me know if you would like a couple. I may be able to round a couple up.
Awesome, thanks for the offer!! Me and lars found some worm things and a few polyps, a few snails. I am going to get some more live rock at Midway today. I'll post up some more pics once I get it.

Spyral

Just got some more live rock and 2 more feather dusters from Midway..and a Rio protein skimmer. Oh, and 2 blue damsels.

IMG00456-20100911-1707.jpg

IMG00453-20100911-1702.jpg

IMG00454-20100911-1702.jpg