New SW setup!

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I am trying it. Thanks to "lars on" for giving me a bunch of supplies and equipment to get this tank up. I have a substrate of Aragonite and Carib Sea Live Sand. I have a big piece of live rock and a few other pieces in there. Got to get the water up to snuff. Got the salinity and pH where I want it, now just go to wait for it to get clear. I am cycling with 2 AC50's. This is a 25 tall tank. I plan on putting some pretty corals and a few fish, maybe a crab or two.

I'm doing a fishless cycle with this tank.

I'll post some better pics when it clears up.

IMG00377-20100821-1521.jpg

A

Anonymous

sidekicking said:
So what kind of live stock are thinking of getting for this set up??
lots of pretty corals, a few crabs and a few goby's nothing crazy.

lilfishie

Hey great!!!. Take it slow, be paitient and have fun at it.
Lots of luck. Let me know if you would like some soft coral. I cant give it away, but it will be cheep.

A

Anonymous

Awesome! The tank is crystal clear now. I am picking up a combo bio filter/protein skimmer tomorrow. I have had the tank up since Saturday. I won't be ready for anything for a little bit, but I will keep it in mind!

A

Anonymous

I am in the hospital still, been here about 2 weeks now. I'll let you know once I get back home next week.

From some one that s only been doing SW for 1 1\2 year now.I would just advise read read read.I am still missing up.The thing that I have learn tho is that gobies are sneaky,they jump.I have lost a orange spotted goby and a green goby same way.All so there are alot of gobies that that don t like to be with others.Might want to do just one goby

baglel10

lil fishi i need your help you do sw right so what helps cut down on ditoms i have 3 hermit crabs 3 black turbo snails and a scooter blenny and 2 clows (they wont help right?) an 1 cleaner shrimp all in a 29 gal tank and working on adding my 10 gal sump do i need more snails or wrong formula and only 1 snail out of the three is realy active 1 just sits other kinda moves bad snail or bad water?

lilfishie

Diatoms are a normal process in maturing. It will go away eventually. But get a magfloat cleaner for the glass and just use it to remove it from the glass daily and get a turkey baster and blow off the rocks. I still have it appear on the glass a year and a half old tanks.

baglel10

what about the sand just move it around a lil it was REALY bad like my whole tank but thanks for the edvice i will put it to use

lilfishie

Could be just the type of snail. It may not have taken to the acclimation as well as the other one. Do you know what your water parameters are?
Do you have test kits? Not strips but actual chemical kits? Snails do not like high magnesium. They will be sluggish. Check ph level too. Small ammonia levels, nitrite levels will kill them and if they die they will mess up your water paramaters real bad.
Make sure anything you put in the tank has not been exposed to copper. Copper will kill inverts. I think you know that!
Put a couple pieces of mysis in the tank for the crabs. They will love it. Your feeding your clowns and blennie mysis too? And nori? And vitamins?

Has your water cycled yet?
How long has it been set up?
Did you do anything to jumpstart the cycle process?
Are you using rock that was from an existing mature system?
Typically it takes a good 6 weeks to cycle and you dont want to add any livestock for at least 3 months. Could be sacrificing them to the cycle it you do. But if using live rock from a mature system, you may not have much of a cycle.
You have a nice sand bed. Get a couple nassarius snails. They will clean up food in the sandbed. They burry themselves in the sand and can smell food a mile away. When they do, they surface and come running.

lilfishie

baglel10 said:
what about the sand just move it around a lil it was REALY bad like my whole tank but thanks for the edvice i will put it to use
syphon it out when you do water changes. just the top layer. Dont go deep. You dont want to stur up the sand bed too much. It also acts as filtration and holds bacteria for managing ammonias. If it is disturbed to much it may cause an ammonia spike.