New in the Muk.

vance1013

That's a cool setup, interesting design on the filtration system I would've never thought of that
Definitely something interesting to look into

Smashley745

That's awesome. I've been looking into the costs of building some sort of greenhouse or sunroom and using ponds for some of my fish. All the houses I've been looking at have well water which would be way better for all my livebearers right?

MRTom

Welcome to the box, and great job on that rack setup! Glad to see there are awesome fish keepers in the Muk!

pbmax

Smashley745 said:
All the houses I've been looking at have well water which would be way better for all my livebearers right?
That depends on the well.  When I was on well water it was only 5dKH and 4dGH - pretty low hardness as far as livebearers are concerned.  It couldn't hurt to grab a water sample from each house and use an API GH/KH test kit after the fact.  :cyclops:

I boost my tanks to 7dGH, 7dKH (I'm 4/4 out of the tap).  Though livebearers generally prefer higher than that, my shrimp will tolerate 7/7.  They will NOT tolerate 10/10.  :shock: I had a tough time keeping my platies alive consistently until I started supplementing GH and KH with every water change.