New fishkeeper, new to the forum

A

Anonymous

LuminousAphid said:
Thanks for the feedback. I will totally be at the swap meet if I can, I'm between jobs though so my schedule may (hopefully) fill up by then

I forgot to mention I was in the middle of a waterchange on the little tank, I usually have it full. Here is a pic with the night lights on, I just have a bit of java moss in there for the cories to graze little critters off of, but I'm trying to see if I can do it without plants. I like the hardscape look
VwpQZKc.jpg

So far its not too bad, as it's easy to do a little water change every day, but I don't know if it will be sustainable if I add much more.

What's a good way to boost biological filtration in a small scale tank like this? I just have a sponge running on it now, but was thinking of maybe a nice small in-tank filter. Anything to recommend on that front?
That looks sweet!

As for "small" filters, I noticed some neat nano type HOB's @ Aquarium CoOp. They had them on small rimless tanks.

LuminousAphid

Yeah, most of the stuff in there is from Cory... in fact, everything but the bigger rocks, the tank itself and the light. The tank was a thrift store find, came with the light too!

I am a big fan of Aquarium Co-Op though, I was there today and will be there tomorrow. Here is me advertising while hiking:

nXkF9Cc.jpg

Gothic Basin, Snohomish County, WA

CrazedAce

You will definitely get Malaysian trumpet snails in at LEAST one tank. Not as bad as bladder snails though. Welcome to the forum! I take it you are going to try to breed guppies? Heed my advice: You will need a grow out tank if too many survive, and they will. I had a 30gal all guppies. Half dozen males, 25-20 females and about 100 fry, not including the monthly 10-15 juvenile males that were in my 28gal bowfront. But they sell pretty fast once you advertise them, which makes it a good starting fish.

Are you in Washington?

A

Anonymous

LuminousAphid said:
Yeah, most of the stuff in there is from Cory... in fact, everything but the bigger rocks, the tank itself and the light. The tank was a thrift store find, came with the light too!

I am a big fan of Aquarium Co-Op though, I was there today and will be there tomorrow. Here is me advertising while hiking:

nXkF9Cc.jpg

Gothic Basin, Snohomish County, WA
:spoton: 

:afro:.oO Again, welcome to WFB!

LuminousAphid

CrazedAce said:
You will definitely get Malaysian trumpet snails in at LEAST one tank. Not as bad as bladder snails though. Welcome to the forum! I take it you are going to try to breed guppies? Heed my advice: You will need a grow out tank if too many survive, and they will. I had a 30gal all guppies. Half dozen males, 25-20 females and about 100 fry, not including the monthly 10-15 juvenile males that were in my 28gal bowfront. But they sell pretty fast once you advertise them, which makes it a good starting fish.

Are you in Washington?
Yeah, I'm in washington, I think I edited my profile right after you posted.

I am going to try breeding guppies, and already have some fry from one of the first ones I got, but I don't know that I will have enough to be selling anytime soon. I just got a couple more nice males yesterday, which brings my total to 6 adults and about 8 fry...

which reminds me, I have to ask if anyone else has had this happen- the first female who gave birth did it over a week ago, I have only ever seen about 8 fry in there, and the female still looks pretty pregnant. I have heard of guppies aborting their litters (is that what you'd call them?) if they are stressed, but could she have halfway given birth and held back the rest? At first she still looked squared out after the first few fry, but now I can't really tell

Also, some of them may have gotten eaten or sucked into the filter, and I just think she still looks preggo. But from what I've seen online, usually they get much slimmer after giving birth, and I never saw that change in her

LuminousAphid

I have done a little work on the 20 gallon, I will see if I can borrow a camera and take some better pics of the 10 gallon too, I am proud of that one