New fishkeeper, new to the forum

LuminousAphid

Greetings!

I am fairly new to the whole hobby, but my first fish was actually way back in grade school. I think it was a white cloud, and we used it for an "experiment" on fertilizer runoff. This involved putting a 2 liter bottle half, with several fish in it, below another 2 liter bottle, in which was a terrarium with plants. I think we used fertilizer in some, and not in others, and we recorded how many of the fish died I guess... seems sort of sadistic now that I think of it, but I guess it was a good lesson in ecosystem trickle-down effects. I actually kept a couple of the fish afterward, and 1 of them survived for a couple of years after that, with just an undergravel airstone filter and minimal water changes. I remember the tank being clogged with floating algae at some points (obviously it wasn't planted), so I'm sure that little guy didn't have a great life, but I didn't care too much or think about it at that point, I was a little kid with better things to worry about.

Within the last couple years, I have picked up the hobby again, this time actually bothering to read up at least a little on the basics. I still really had no idea what I was doing when I got a starter 10 gallon kit about 3 years ago, because I didn't really understand how to maintain a cycled tank. I would do things like tear down the whole tank and clean everything when there was too much algae, or get a Golden CAE that would quickly outgrow anything I had to keep it in. So, I was still making tons of mistakes and not really enjoying it that much, until recently...

Even though we have several around the area, I hadn't been to a locally owned fish shop, and had just been shopping at the big box stores for everything (including advice, which I now know is hit-or-miss at the very best). I began seeing a green sign with "aquarium something" on my way to my aunt's house, and began to get curious. I don't know why, but it took me a while to actually stop in. Once I did, there was no turning back. I am now hopelessly entangled in the world of the planted tank.

Aquarium Co-Op, in Edmonds, is responsible for this. I walked around for a while, slightly intimidated by all the crazy fish I had never seen, but awestruck just the same. I didn't know where to begin, but had been interested in trying live plants for a while, so I started by asking about their large selection. Cory, the owner, suggested that I try this pack of 4 bulbs, aponogetons, which weren't picky about water quality or light levels. I believe I left that day with that one item, but it was just the start.

Now I have 3 tanks instead of just 1, and instead of just 3 species, I have more than a dozen species of various creatures. I know this seems meager, and I know this is just the start of where this hobby can go, but I have had a great time with it the past couple months, even with setbacks like a leaky tank and using the wrong equipment. I have joined a couple of forums so far, one in the U.K. and then theplantedtank, but it's awesome that there is a local forum I can use now. I look forward to getting some local perspective on things and maybe giving some small pieces of my own advice.

- Ryan

LJCwLquh.jpg

20 High: 11 blue tetra (B. fredcochui), 3 amano shrimp, 3 nerite snails (2 olive, 1 horned), 1 ramshorn hitchhiker, 1-2? ghost shrimp, possibly adding 5 longfin leopard danio

TMD308th.jpg

3 Gallon cube: 6 pygmy corydora, 1 blue mystery snail, thinking of adding 2 tiger endlers

7iibTBUh.jpg

10 Gallon: 3 adult guppies, 1 juvenile guppy, 6-10 guppy fry, 7 red cherry shrimp, 1 ghost shrimp, 1 royal pleco

P.S. are attachments for pics allowed, or do I need to use an external site?

Madness

Staff member
Welcome Luminous. This is just the beginning. Soon you too, will have MTS. (multiple tank syndrome) You can use either one to add your pictures, whichever way is easier for you. :D Tanks are looking great.

We are haveing a fishbox swap meet in a couple weeks, http://www.wafishbox.com/t7746-seattle-aquarium-swap, hope to see you there.

A

Anonymous

Nice intro LuminousAphid, Welcome to WFB! Aquarium CoOp is a top 5 LFS for me as well. One of the best stores in the area ,(personal opinion : ) Looks like your well on your way with aquatic plants. Many of our local members randomly meet to exchange plants ,its fun & neat to do trades for plants (& stuff) you don't always find in stores.

A

Anonymous

:welcome!:  Trust me MTS will hit you hard too. I also started this hobby last winter. Started with a 35gal. Now I have 90gal, 35gal, 30gal, and 2 10gal (one of them wife doesnt know, lol).  But someday Im gonna be like Madness and own my own personal fish store.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome. By the way Ryan, your 3 gallon tank you have setup would be perfect to breed Mystery snails as they lay their eggs above the water. Once they hatch they crawl back down into the water. Might be fun to try out.

A

Anonymous

SiRWesDragon said:
:welcome!:  Trust me MTS will hit you hard too. I also started this hobby last winter. Started with a 35gal. Now I have 90gal, 35gal, 30gal, and 2 10gal (one of them wife doesnt know, lol).  But someday Im gonna be like Madness and own my own personal fish store.
Whoa, STOP THE SHOW. . . Mr.SirWesDragon, how did you "sneak" an aquarium past your WIFE!?!?!?

A

Anonymous

theChad said:
SiRWesDragon said:
Whoa, STOP THE SHOW. . . Mr.SirWesDragon, how did you "sneak" an aquarium past your WIFE!?!?!?
:lol!:  its still in the garage.  When my angels eggs hatch and grow up. Im gonna need a grow out tank. :D ;)
Is there a rehab for this fishtank addiction?

A

Anonymous

SiRWesDragon said:
theChad said:
SiRWesDragon said:
:lol!:  its still in the garage.  When my angels eggs hatch and grow up. Im gonna need a grow out tank. :D ;)
Gotcha, ha! Thank you Sir.

Now, back to the thread.... ;)

Madness

Staff member
SiRWesDragon said:
theChad said:
SiRWesDragon said:
Why do we need one? :suspect: :suspect: :woot: :woot: :nutkick: 

nick_76

LuminousAphid said:
Greetings!

So, I was still making tons of mistakes and not really enjoying it that much, until recently...
welcome aphid, that line sums up my experiences with saltwater lately....but since I joined this forum back in april, im up to 4 tanks (2 discus, 1 fish only salt, and one coral tank) and like the others, im always trying to find somewhere else I might be able to fit yet another tank for yet another idea I had for a theme....

nick_76

SiRWesDragon said:
theChad said:
SiRWesDragon said:
oldest trick in the book. other excuse is "quarantine tank"

A

Anonymous

I can always upgrade but still have 5 tanks (well 4 tanks). Just 105gal is the max. Just found out the new 90 gal is actually 105gallons. 105 — 48 x 18 x 29. Maybe someday upgrade the 10 gal to 55gal. Yeah good plan.

A

Anonymous

nick_76 said:
whats the point of a 55 when you could do a 75? front to back, 55s look tin and oddly proportioned
Differences is the weight cause its going upstairs next to the 35gal and 30gal in my bedroom. Thats 120 gallons of wiegth. Dont want my second floor caving down. New house. Im just not sure the weight of 140gals is safe for me. I know its just 20gal more. Its a new house. Im protective of our hard work and investment for my family.

LuminousAphid

Thanks for the feedback. I will totally be at the swap meet if I can, I'm between jobs though so my schedule may (hopefully) fill up by then

I forgot to mention I was in the middle of a waterchange on the little tank, I usually have it full. Here is a pic with the night lights on, I just have a bit of java moss in there for the cories to graze little critters off of, but I'm trying to see if I can do it without plants. I like the hardscape look
VwpQZKc.jpg

So far its not too bad, as it's easy to do a little water change every day, but I don't know if it will be sustainable if I add much more.

What's a good way to boost biological filtration in a small scale tank like this? I just have a sponge running on it now, but was thinking of maybe a nice small in-tank filter. Anything to recommend on that front?

A

Anonymous

Try this. I have a HOB filter attached is a sponge filter. Provides current, aeration, cleans the water hella good and if you have a dark background it blends a little with plants camouflaging it.
20130823.jpg