My SD Collection

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
That's a good sign. Have you dialed back on the Paraguard? I don't know what I'd do in this situation, maybe a 50% water change every day, but beyond that, I'm at a loss. I vaguely remember silver dollars being sensitive to this sort of epidermal sloughing, but really don't know what to do about it beyond keeping the fishes healthy enough to fight it themselves. At least there don't seem to be any secondary opportunistic infections.

I did a half dose of Paraguard and will do another tomorrow. I hope to have time Monday for water changes.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
This one is awesome! Its my favorite.
PXL_20211001_185855790_2.jpg
Years ago I had one almost identical but it had a long trailer off the top dorsal fin. Of course as soon as I bought it and got it home the trailer broke off and it never grew back. Im wondering if this will get a trailer off that high fin or not. Awesome looking dollar!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
This one is awesome! Its my favorite.
View attachment 10182
Years ago I had one almost identical but it had a long trailer off the top dorsal fin. Of course as soon as I bought it and got it home the trailer broke off and it never grew back. Im wondering if this will get a trailer off that high fin or not. Awesome looking dollar!
I'm not sure. Would be cool though.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have 4 species of silver dollars. I stopped by Aquarium Paradise and these had just arrived. Myloplus Rubripinnis (Redhook).PXL_20211029_231822209~2.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I noticed one of the Redhooks has a bump on the caudal and one has a folded lower lobe on the caudal. Caught all 6 and did a 1hr paraguard dip. The 7in across leaf is under the container I used to photograph them.PXL_20211122_225249300~2.jpg
I also noticed this on one of its pectoral fins.
PXL_20211122_225345776.jpg

PXL_20211122_225807307~2.jpgPXL_20211122_225910331~2.jpg
This one came in with the bumbs all over its body. It's not ich though.
PXL_20211122_225632701~2.jpgPXL_20211122_225601956~2.jpg
PXL_20211122_225711415~2.jpgPXL_20211122_225457036~2.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Great looking group of Red Hooks! I believe these are usually still wild caught? They are pretty bulletproof but never know what they can bring with them.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Great looking group of Red Hooks! I believe these are usually still wild caught? They are pretty bulletproof but never know what they can bring with them.
I stopped into AP to ask about the origin of the Redhooks. I was told they came from a hobbyist who is transitioning over to salt.
According to seriouslyfish.com spawning them is not possible in the hobby. These being an egg scattering type a breeding tank would have to be huge and the floor covered with marbles or grating that the eggs could fall through so that they don't get eaten. My other SDs spawn regularly but the SDs, redheads and portholes follow behind eating the eggs.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I was pretty sure the SD's were wild caught. They must be a thriving fish in the wild because they are so commonly sold at places like Petco and Petsmart. Every now and then you will spot an oddball SD in a batch at the store. Was always tempted to buy more when I had mine but they just have a huge presence in the tank and my red hook school was big enough at seven in a 210g tank.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Yeah, I was pretty sure the SD's were wild caught. They must be a thriving fish in the wild because they are so commonly sold at places like Petco and Petsmart. Every now and then you will spot an oddball SD in a batch at the store. Was always tempted to buy more when I had mine but they just have a huge presence in the tank and my red hook school was big enough at seven in a 210g tank.
Guys on MFK said that there are TR just don't see them available very often/ever.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
When I purchased the redhooks I noticed the tattered fins but overall they looked healthy. Fins will heal so into the 260g they went. One of the hooks is covered in 1mm bumbs and one has a hard cyst like nodule on its tale. It also has something bluish but flat on the left pectoral fin. So, I set up the 10g added some paraguard and all 6 hooks. I will try the PG for a week and then move to Kanaplex or one of the other meds I have. I will pick up some meth blue this week as well.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Cyst is the only redhook still in hospital once the smudge is gone I will release back into the 260g.
The spotted SD with the bubble eye doesn't show any improvement yet.