my new pico tank

lilfishie

Well, I got my light. It is SOOOOOOO Sweeeet!

Here are a couple pics and a video
On the video, I started with both the white and blue lights turned down on low. I turned the whites up all the way and then I turned the blues up all they way and then turned the whites down all the way, thats when it got REALLY blue, and then turned the blue lights back down all the way. There is alot of ability to change the color of the lighting on this.
Video can be seen here....I think...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=966cxX1wy1Y

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

larry.beck

That's really nice. Gotta think about putting those on a controller - you could do the whole sunrise/sunset thing on that little fixture, would be awesome. :)

lilfishie

Well there are a couple frags of zoas/palys in the tank. I also put a tiny snail in the tank.

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

I got up this morning and got ready to turn on the lights and notice my frags had been moved. I turned on the lights and I saw someting scurrying across the sand and dissapear behind the rock. Now I didnt put what ever this is into my tank. Tonight when I got home I turned the lights off and waited an hour, went back in, turned the lights on real quick and caught the little guy trying to pull one of the zoa frags behind the rock. I picked the rock up and he scurried across the sand and curled up in the corner. lol...It is a rock crab. He has been in the tank ever since I set it up and I didnt know it. I glued down the hawaiian stickypunch zoas but the red ones I left for him to play with. He's okay for now but he will have to go soon. Anyone wants him let me know.

DSC06634.jpg

lilfishie

Well, I found a couple more hitchikers the other day. There are a couple pretty big bristle worms in that one rock.
I am doing a FW dip this weekend to get rid of those guys. We'll see what else comes out of that rock.

lilfishie

Adonijah said:
Does a FW dip remove the beneficial bacteria??
For a short time in FW no it wont. The worms wont like the fw and will usually come out rather quickly.
Thats been my experience anyway.

lilfishie

Okay, I added a few more corals today.

I decided to add a couple pieces other than zoanthids

I fragged a piece of my pink sinularia, and orange mushroom and a rainbow rhodactis and king midas zoa.

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

lilfishie

These were taken under just blue LEDs
Not the greatest pics. But the orange mushroom IS that bright with purplish tips.

DSC06734.jpg

DSC06735.jpg

DSC06738.jpg

lars on

Hey Lorrie! How's the tank comin along?

I just recently decided to start up a little tank again and have been searching EVERYWHERE on how to make a little internal overflow box, and your is the perfect example! :)

lilfishie

Its plugging along just fine. Any questions on it let me know. You are putting one together your self then! What size are you making it.

Mine has a few new occupants.

little tiger goby and a phantom anemone shrimp and an emerald crab and a maxima clam and a few more corals.

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

lars on

Looks amazing! How in the world did you fit a clam in there??

SEAF actually has a 8"x8"x10" tank for sale and he can drill a internal overflow in a false wall, but I'm thinkin now I should go with a bigger and shallower tank. :) cuz I know I'm gonna want fish

I'm sure I'm gonna have a bajillion questions soon. Can't have this turnin into foam tank again! Lol

Oh, would you EVER put an anemone in less than a 5g tank?

lilfishie

The clam is only about 2.5" long. He will need to be moved soon. He was only 1.5" long when I put him in there.

Dont think 5 gal would be big enough for an anemone, unless it is a mini maxi nem.
They are really pretty and only get about 3" diameter.

Otherwise, unless you are going to keep one or two really tiny fish, like the goby I have, that only gets 1.5" long, you will want to go with at least 20 gal.

I should start posting again. I picked up a 180 gal tank a couple months ago. Working on getting it set up.

lars on

of course you should start posting again, your tanks are amazing, and your phots need to be framed for the world to see!

Thats my main problem right now, I want a pico tank..BUT.. I know im gonna want fish as soon as i set it up ):

lilfishie

Then you need to set up a nano at least so you can have a few fish. There are so many cool fish you can have in a nano. Then set up the pico. There are a few fish small enough for a pico, but it means a little more maintenance. I dont have a skimmer on mine. Its too small to put one on.