my new pico tank

lilfishie

Here is my new project. Rimless Pico tank. total water volumn is 4 gals with no rock. With a few lbs of rock, it will hold approx 3 gals of water. I am still working on figuring out what I want to do with it, but I am leaning towards either all ricordias or zoanthids and one special piece of sps.

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

lilfishie

In the 3rd pic with the cover on the back you can see on the left side an opening. That is the overflow. the return is the hole on the right which is threaded so I could put a return lockline on it but it has pleanty of flow the way it is. At the frag swap the other day, one of the guys that was set up selling coral had it set up. He built it and has built other larger tanks but has never sold any. I talked him into selling it and he only asked 40$ for it. So it was a deal I couldnt pass up. Its going to be fun. I need to find just the right rock for it.

sidekicking

All zoanthids would be awesome thsoe are my fav
I wish all my rocks would be covered in them

cant wait to see what you decide to put in there :bounce:

lilfishie

Well just an update. I have lighting being custom built for this. Its going to be LED lighting with seperate dimmable white and blue lights so I can change lighting brightness and different color ranges. And it will have a moon light. Cant wait till its done.

larry.beck

Lorrie, who's building your lighting? I'm a LED fanatic but not the best DIY'er, would love to know a good source for having them built custom.

larry.beck

Sounds like quite a plan - I'm going to tag along. I'm definitely doing LED over the big tank so I'm anxious to see how yours turn out. Sounds like it'll be just about bright enough to light up my 300g freshwater. LOL

lilfishie

unconv-reefer said:
Water changes will be a breeze, that will be a fun little tank, kitchen counter????
Yeah, it will be fun. I'm not sure where I am putting it yet, but kitchen counter is probably where it will end up for a while.

lilfishie

I traded a frag of coral today for some black sand for this little tank. I will get the sand in it this weekend.
The LED lights are coming along. Hopefully they will be done soon.

lilfishie

The light is almost done. Hopefully I will have it by sunday.

There is sand in the tank. I will have to try to remember to get a pic.

lilfishie

Here it is. Still being built but here is a pic of it as it is now.
It is in Bellingham at the moment. Was machined at a guys house up there. On its way to Oak Harbor tomorrow to have the LEDs installed and the finishing touches.
I cant wait!

light.jpg

lilfishie

My light is done :cheers:

I am making the long drive today to get it. It is in Oak Harbor. If I get home at a reasonable hour, I will get a pic posted.

lilfishie

:( well theres been a delay... I cant pick it up today, but thats okay. I think he is going to post pics of it though. One of the circuits blew on it so he needs to get another one. He says it is REEEAAAAALLY Bright. I'll get pics posted if he posts them.