My fish are boring!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ok so Im still trying to figure on the mix of fish. Pretty much the three chiclids I have now will go. To replace as the main focus fish would be a midas. Nice if it could be yellowish or at least a creamsicle. I also would not mind a synspilum for color (APFP has a one but I cant afford it at $32). I know madness will hate me to say this but I dont want a zo because I dont really find them that colorful. What other suggestions can we come up with for color?

Zerc

firemouth is colorful, but they don't get very big. however, I hear Madness is thinking about breeding some red texas... those are pretty sweet!

if you really want colorful fish though, get some discus. :)

careful though, they can only eat and swim in money.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I want real fish. No man made hybrids, otherwise there are a ton of flowerhorn types I would be interested in. And definitely NO discus!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
WHAT? No color, are you in sane? Bifa, Syns, blu/rd Fen, Hartwegi, Lyonsi
I know I should like the zo... but they just are not that exciting to me. I do like the bifa and Hartegi.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Zerc said:
I would buy a handful of goldsaums and pick out the gentlest one.
Im really not into them. I would rather have the silver (which I did) and it was a mean head! Now where did I get that mean thing? :suspect: :joker:

Anthraxx

a massive discus colony would sure look good. you could also take a page from fishn_VW and do a region or lake biotope type thing. hes managed to find some truly gorgeous fish (that even have my interest & i love africans) just my two cents i couldnt tell you what species hes got but theres a few that r just eye catchers :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive had fens before and they were the meanest fish Ive ever kept. I really like a synspilum they have at APFP. It is just more than I can afford right now. Hard to spend $32 when the tank next to it has one pretty much the same size for $7. Kevin was not sure where these were from but the one had stunning colors but was mean! It was chasing all the other fish in the tank. The other syn for $7 while not as colorful was pretty peaceful.

Im on a tight budget due to having to buy tires for our car. We had been putting it off for too long and it just could not wait any longer.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anthraxx said:
you could also take a page from fishn_VW and do a region or lake biotope type thing
Thats what I had in mind to a certain degree with my SA theme. I just ended up with boring fish! I miss centrals!

Anthraxx

yeah D im usually in the same boat with fish. but in the long run i almost prefer to grow them out. its usually far more rewarding to try and find a 8$ male peacock and grow it out 3-4 inches and resell for 40$ :p. i couldnt tell ya what would be more fun a SA or CA community but maybe adding some structure to your tank might help curb some territorial disputes. its hard to lose ur favorite wet pet and start over.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yep it was the loss of my midas that made me take a desperate leap to keep an Oscar. I am going to anchor the tank for sure with something from the Ampilophus family. Midas, Hoga or some mystery fish.

aquaman95

HOGA HOGA lol.They are the best amphilophus in my opinion, madness always has a jaw dropping pair and fishman09's male is a stunner..they always look good

Madness

Staff member
Chancho are cool, but dont get the reds that the Hoga get. Plus they avg 16" while the Hoga tops out around 12"

But not a bad looking fish.:D

fishman09

chancho list to get as big as 16"+ but... never seen one near that size anywhere. chancho and trimac are definitely on my want list. :D