My fish are boring!

fishman09

considering selling my male devil and or my red isletas also just to throw them into the mix. the isletas arent aggressive and seem to do well in a community setup

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thanks for the suggestions Betty. The Malawi Eye Biter is cool!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
fishman09 said:
but she doesnt know that....
Yes, but she knows that I know that she doesn't know, so really she knows. :scratch:

Im still in the :study: reading and studying phase. I dont want to make any quick decisions thats how I ended up with the Oscar to begin with.

fishman09

my honest opinion on community tanks is that since ive strayed from them the hobby has been blissfull and stress free for the most part outside of marital disputes. im enjoying keeping fish much more and dont have to worry about combos getting along or whatever and the fish seem much more relaxed as well.

Madness

Staff member
Im sorry to hear that you are going through this. I think a perfect replacement for your midas is another large Amph. And the one I think would fit perfectly,and that is my most favorite, the Hoga. Here is a pic of my new male.

photobucket-3993-1341294935185.jpg

photobucket-6418-1341294921236.jpg

My Zonatus male is awesome as well. Really both the male and female are great. And my new favorite is my Hartwegi.

Drd62

fishman09 said:
What you need sir is to raise up a beautiful wild male umbee :D if interested let me know
Exactly, I have a pair in my 210 and can't wait until they hit a growth spurt.

Drd62

fishman09 said:
my honest opinion on community tanks is that since ive strayed from them the hobby has been blissfull and stress free for the most part outside of marital disputes. im enjoying keeping fish much more and dont have to worry about combos getting along or whatever and the fish seem much more relaxed as well.
Sorry you are going through the blues. As Madness stated, Hogas are great along with Xiloaensis or Lyonsi for other choices. Xilos can come in some very nice piebald coloration and they definitely have quite the personality.

aquaman95

I was gonna recommend some zonatus the males become a nice beefy size and look like bandits.imo they are the best vieja not the most colourful but defiantly are the most personable.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
In a way I would almost agree with fishman and go with one nice (BIG) solo wet pet. Im the one who cares for the tank and spends time with the fish so what the wife wants... :joker:

The Hoga that I had for a while in the tank was still infected was a pretty cool fish, same with the Zo. The loss of that batch was pretty harsh and Ive just been so leery of trying again. I miss having the Pearsei who was starting to become a big monster. So I really am not sure where to begin, thanks guys for all the ideas and encouragement. Maybe its time for guppies or a really large betta....

Madness

Staff member
maybe it's time to get over your fear and stop talking about nonsense fish and get yourself a hoga a Zoe or a pearsi or all 3

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I know Oscars are supposed to be owner responsive and mine is to a degree. Any food related things and he responds.

I guess what Im missing is first the color. My midas was orange and not some awful turd color.

Second, the midas would come hang out on whatever side of the tank I was sitting and just chill and watch me. He always watched the room to see what was going on. The Oscar could care less.

So I guess the real big things on my fish list are the owner responsiveness and color. Maybe its time for a flowerhorn. :joker:

So unless my current fish surprise me with some reason for keeping them, I am on the search for some new fish. Will let you guys know what I come up with.

Madness

Staff member
Flowerhorns are cool looking and tons of color. But they are dumb. They are like that roid taking linebacker that cant even add 1+1.

If you were to change fish, and if you were going to go Midas again, would you want to start with smaller ones and grow them? Or start with a med to larger one?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I really am leaning toward another midas. I have no problem growing one out. Want to get a big male out of it. I just need to find some.

I love the hoga but I want more color.

Madness

Staff member
If I find you a Midas, will you take it? Say 3". Gage owes me, and I would love to grab you a Midas. Cause thats the kind of guy I am. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I would love a Midas (male).... Are you putting in an order soon?

Madness

Staff member
Possibly. It will probably be when I get back from Yakima. Around the end of the month.

gobluecichlids

DMD123 said:
LOL, Zerc you are a mind reader! The clown trigger is on my top 10 list of saltwater, along with the harlequin tusk
I took the plunge into salt last fall and never looked back. Now I got 2 salt tank and a third coming really soon (a monster size!)

About the tusk, I do have one avail for sale, he is 5"

The triggers looks cool, I do have a hawaiian black trigger and a niger trigger in my personal show tank.

I'm pushing some of my africans out, I am selling my large Karema frontosa wilds (2m/3f) for $450. I do have F1 fry avail 2" size for $15 each.

And I can get clown triggers, they are not easy to grab. I was lucky to grab a 3" and a 4" this yr, and both were sold in minutes after I tagged em.

Here is one of my favorite fish I have now:

queen angelfish
006-6.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well Im on the path to change. As much as loved the flagtail for his color, he is now gone. What ever I do decide I really like having the large schooling silver dollars in the mix....